Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Raid Prevents Safe Mode - Page 1

Raid Prevents Safe Mode

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-21 02:36:33
I can't get into Safe Mode on my XP. All it does it restart itself when it does. Ever since Raid fucked up on my PC, I an unable to get into Safe Mode and find this "virus" that's effecting my system with these stupid temp folders I keep deleting every 5 maybe 10 miuntues. So I need help here. I'll be glad when I can get my hands on a new computer, that's perfect for gaming.

Re: Raid Prevents Safe Mode

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-12-21 11:55:18
Meh. If you think you've got it bad look at my desktop. It no longer wants to show my desktop unless I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring up the windows security menu. Instead I get a weird color changing background the changes when resolutions change or programs open and close themselves.

Date: 2009-12-21 13:22:56
It's not bad, Glisp, it's just pissing me off. I need to get my PC at least working until bloody January, since if I get a new PC it'll no doubt be fucking Windows 7. *Sighs* I've had my PC for seven years, and it's had more problems then my Windows 98. I just feel like putting a hammer to it. Or just delete the "Svchost.exe" from System32, but the funny thing is, there is no Svchost.exe, in Temp Folder in System32 folder.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-12-21 13:41:13

It's not bad, Glisp, it's just pissing me off. I need to get my PC at least working until bloody January, since if I get a new PC it'll no doubt be fucking Windows 7. *Sighs* I've had my PC for seven years, and it's had more problems then my Windows 98. I just feel like putting a hammer to it. Or just delete the "Svchost.exe" from System32, but the funny thing is, there is no Svchost.exe, in Temp Folder in System32 folder.

The window said it was \WINDOWS\TEMP, not \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\TEMP.

Date: 2009-12-21 13:58:44
The "Temp" folders are appearing in Windows32/Temp file, where AVG keeps saying that the virus is in C/WINDOWS/system32/svchost.exe but I've ran a double scan of avast! and AVG and nothing shows up, but if I can get into Safe Mode I can no doubt find the "virus".

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-12-21 15:59:57
Personally, I think you should do a virus scan before boot. I believe that AVG and Avast has a boot scan. This may get if before you run it. Alternatively, you could use an Linux on a CD or USB to modify the files (but that is harder work).

As your PC may be being replaced you could try installing Linux temporarily/permanently and try using that, just for a while. It may make your computer more usable.
Its not an easy option, but it may be what you need

Date: 2009-12-21 16:10:56
Nothing more than a hammer won't cure, in this case. ¬¬ I've always looked after my computers, and they ever done is die. This one will be dead when I'm done smashing it. *Sigh* I don't have anything Lunix related here in England, I can't find anything like that here. I don't know how to change the system from Windows to Lunix.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-12-23 13:41:55
1) What's wrong with Windows 7 ? I use it myself =)
2) Get Hiren's Boot Disc if you need to use a boot CD. I switched to it a while ago from ERD Commander and I love it.

Date: 2009-12-23 14:37:58
Other than we get death screens. I can get into Lunix, and I love it. But I can't get it to connect to my Windows Network (my router), even on my Vista it can't.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-12-23 17:18:41
Oshit, a Windows network?

You'll need to get a nerdlier person than me, because you're gonna have to mess with Samba to get on the network. @_@

Date: 2009-12-23 17:58:50
I've done what Lunix help says, but when I turn off the Wireless Connections option, it says "Disconencted, you are now offline". I mean when I load up Firefox, it loads the Lunix page, but nothing else.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-12-24 07:23:09
Go into windows and right click on (My) Computer and click on properties, then go to device manager. Post whatever it says in network cards.

Date: 2009-12-24 12:09:37
If that doesn't work, then it'll no doubt something else. I'll try on Vista.

Vista says:
Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adaptor
Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

I'll check my XP later.