Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Help? - Page 1

Help?

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-12-22 19:03:07
I've noticed this problem on my computer for a little while where if I leave something plugged into one of the USB slots both slots will stop working until I put my computer in sleep mode or restart it. It has done it more frequently however, and usually does it when I try to emulate a game (e.g. ePSXe). Suggestions?

Re: Help?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-22 19:22:02
Hmm, I had a similar problem before, where my mouse had malfunction and crashed, where I unplugged it, put it back and it was fine after that. Could be dust since my tower has that problem, so it's either dust, or something with the USB wire (depends what you're using).

Date: 2009-12-22 20:23:49
I've blown in the slots for dust and it still doesn't work and it can't be a bad wire because after it'll stop working on, let's say, one USB drive. If I unplug that and put in, say, a USB mouse, the mouse won't work unless I restart the computer, or put it in sleep mode and turn it back on.

Date: 2009-12-22 20:30:17
I never had to restart when mine crashes. Could be something wrong with the USB ports. When did this problem start?

Date: 2009-12-22 20:39:32
It started about a week ago.
Its a Toshiba if you're wondering.

Date: 2009-12-22 20:49:03
Well, try a System Restore back to about maybe 2 weeks if possible. I've had to do restores back to earlier times, and that solved some problems. if that doesn't make any changes, then maybe find an computer expert.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-12-22 22:20:36
Use a hub and wire the +5V and GND from USB port #2 to one of the ports on the hub, and cut the power traces, unless you have a powered hub.

Date: 2009-12-23 00:36:22

Well, try a System Restore back to about maybe 2 weeks if possible. I've had to do restores back to earlier times, and that solved some problems. if that doesn't make any changes, then maybe find an computer expert.
I tried that and it didn't work. I might look for an expert now.

Use a hub and wire the +5V and GND from USB port #2 to one of the ports on the hub, and cut the power traces, unless you have a powered hub.
I'm sorry I have no idea what that means…

EDIT: I noticed that its only my game controller that this affects as my iPod was able to synch and charge just fine. Possible repair suggestions or just buy a new one altogether?

Date: 2009-12-23 01:52:19
Well, maybe doing things one thing at a time? Like playing games, take out the controller, and then maybe send music to your iPod that way, just a suggestion.

Date: 2009-12-23 02:33:50
But they were all one at a time. Well one thing I did find out was that I could break the USB lock-out with my iPod. Oh well, probably busted controller or something, I'll try my other controller when I can find it.

EDIT: I've confirmed that it was a controller problem. I tested it on my brother's computer with the same results as mine. Could there be any possible way to repair the controller from the computer or will I need a new one altogether?

Date: 2009-12-23 11:55:51
Well, I'd think a new controller, since I've had to replace my PS2 controllers a few times, after they'd stop working.