Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

My old Windows XP laptop is....... - Page 1

My old Windows XP laptop is.......

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-01-14 12:10:57
My old windows XP laptop is pretty much inaccessible. I think the damage from the virus attack back in March finally took its toll on my old XP.

I lost a lot of files but have managed to save a majority of my most important ones On flash Drives. The ones I haven't though are most likely lost for good.

On boot up, no matter what setting I choose, my computer gives me a blue screen with an error.

I can't even Access any variation of Safe mode. I get a blue screen there but the message i get is very strange, it just says: "~?" (without the quotes mind you.) on a blue screen. I managed to get the computer to boot up when it did this once before but then I had tried every setting but one. I tried that start up setting this time around and it didn't work either.

Is it possible to install Ubuntu on the DOS/Console thingy boot up?

Re: My old Windows XP laptop is.......

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-01-14 12:20:38
You could, but I recommend Fedora.  More packages and the such.

You will need (a) a physical Fedora DVD or 3-5 CDs and (2) to format your hard drive first.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-14 17:16:42

You could, but I recommend Fedora.  More packages and the such.

You will need (a) a physical Fedora DVD or 3-5 CDs and (2) to format your hard drive first.
(2) isn't the best idea. It would be best to partition it, not format the entire thing.
Another alternative is to buy a usb HD enclosure and put your HD in it. Then plug it in to the computer your using and back up your file, take the enclosure out and install XP or linux or whatever.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-01-14 19:02:05
Just boot linux via a burned live CD and access your files that way.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-01-15 06:49:49
Keep on pressing F8 at boot like you want to get into safe mode, then choose "don't restart on system failure" or w/e it is. Tell us everything it says on the BSOD (starting with, like, "STOP 0x7b…"). That way we can link you to what MS Support says on the matter.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-01-15 19:52:30

Keep on pressing F8 at boot like you want to get into safe mode, then choose "don't restart on system failure" or w/e it is. Tell us everything it says on the BSOD (starting with, like, "STOP 0x7b…"). That way we can link you to what MS Support says on the matter.
He said it just said: ~?