Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

A problem with my laptop's screen display. - Page 1

A problem with my laptop's screen display.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-07-27 08:48:40
Recently, I've experienced an unusual problem with my laptop screen display (a CRT monitor based on an Acer built laptop using Windows Vista). Now I have to temporarily use my mum's laptop. The problem is that whenever I turn the power on the screen will fail to display what needs to be shown correctly, for example, unusual vertical bars and 'flickering' effects seem to appear. I thought perhaps as a CRT monitor the laptop may have been prone to interference (as mentioned by Microsoft's website), although I couldn't find anything around which may have been causing the problem.

I was thinking maybe that perhaps it was an internal problem with the monitor itself (maybe due to it being old it may be affecting the graphics card), because every time I boot up the laptop it fails to even update the screen, so the display appears blurry and slowly fades away. The screen display will only update itself when I tilt the monitor slightly and even so that's quite awkward because I have to keep moving it with one hand, and move the mouse/type with the other hand.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem before, I was wondering if there is anything else I could try before sending the laptop away to be looked at.

Re: A problem with my laptop's screen display.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-07-27 10:52:08
I had the same problem with my last laptop last year, where my screen went white, with flashing multi-bright colours all over the place, when I tried to boot again, I kept getting lines through the screen until in the end my system packed up, as it would turn itself off, and on. It might be the screen, I had the same trouble with my old laptop which was Vista. I tried to tilt mine yet nothing happened. Can your laptop detect a monitor cable? If so, see if you get the same results as you do on a PC monitor, if you do, then maybe seeing if you can get it replaced, I'd gotten mine replaced four weeks ago.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-07-27 13:42:51

I had the same problem with my last laptop last year, where my screen went white, with flashing multi-bright colours all over the place, when I tried to boot again, I kept getting lines through the screen until in the end my system packed up, as it would turn itself off, and on. It might be the screen, I had the same trouble with my old laptop which was Vista. I tried to tilt mine yet nothing happened. Can your laptop detect a monitor cable? If so, see if you get the same results as you do on a PC monitor, if you do, then maybe seeing if you can get it replaced, I'd gotten mine replaced four weeks ago.

Thanks for the quick response; I'll check if that works later.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-07-28 02:49:08
It's no trouble, Torch. Vista's nothing more than a useless OS that has problems with anything, even it's self. If you're unable to get a new screen, and the monitor works, then it'll be a temporary solution, as I had to use a PC monitor for when I had half a working screen at some point.