Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Unknown Object - Page 1

Unknown Object

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-11-16 12:07:15
I didn't know what else to call this thing, that's been popping up on my laptop for a month now and it's rather annoying. Whenever my useless laptop starts and sooner or later loads Windows (takes ages), and whenever everything starts to load this box keeps appearing and I have no idea what it is nor what it is called because no text loads at all. Just a few seconds (I couldn't get the screen), another thing loaded up that belonged to this "thing" called Forum1 (it wasn't responding then it went off before I could get a screen) but now I keep getting the same box everyday and I don't know what it is nor where it's coming from.

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/LadyNecrisAkasha/Unknown.png

Re: Unknown Object

Posted by: Glitch Hunter
Date: 2010-11-17 08:14:41
Maybe it's some sad lonely hacker put a virus on, have you joined any new questionable or other forums recently?

Date: 2010-11-17 09:44:04
Not really. I don't join forums that often, I'm a member of here (still disliked by a few more than a few), Full Metal Glitch's forums another forum my own and that's about it. Comodo has done scan's but hasn't found anything and would of told me about any unwanted/unknown things trying to get in. I don't know where it's coming from as I don't know the name, and this morning I had a quick box saying Warning!: [blank] and vanished quicker than I could find out what it was. I don't know if it's my system. Here's what my laptop is:

Manufacture: Fujitsu
Fujitsu Amilo Netbook (it's a bit big for a netbook but it says on the bottom it's a netbook)
Windows Vista Home Basic - Service Pack 2
Celeron(R) Dual-Core CPU T3000 @ 1.80GHz 1.79GHz
32-bit Operating System
1.00 GB RAM

Posted by: Glitch Hunter
Date: 2010-11-17 10:17:28
Sadly i only deal with pokemon glitches, best i can think is maybe some file you've installed or downloaded is screqwing somethingn up.

Date: 2010-11-17 12:03:43
I haven't touched anything, other than downgrading Live Messenger, but this box thing has been popping up long before the 2011 update of Live Messenger.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-11-17 14:33:44
have you checked msconfig ? that shows everything in registry that runs on startup.
Also check your start menu\programs\startup. For your account and for all users.

Date: 2010-11-17 17:21:26
The only users on here is me no one else use's my laptop. MSconfig? I'm not familiar with it.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-11-29 05:13:16

The only users on here is me no one else use's my laptop. MSconfig? I'm not familiar with it.

It's in the Windows/System32 directory, you can quickly access it with Run by entering "msconfig.exe". A window should open up named "System Configuration". You can click the "Startup" tab to view items and uncheck the ones which may look a little suspicious.

Date: 2010-11-29 06:27:43
Vista gets Start Search, but half the time it's clueless on what I'm looking for. Eh, I'll check manually, so see what I can find, if not I'll murder this laptop.

Post Edit:

I got no idea what I'm looking for as I have no idea what this thing is called, and I have no clear memory on when it starting turning up. I've got the System Configuration up, but what pops up everyday isn't in the list.