Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

My Magnum Opus... - Page 1

My Magnum Opus...

Posted by: DarkSol
Date: 2007-12-04 09:45:33
I finally found a forum that will be conducive to my research. I have been experimenting with Pokemon Red and Blue Glitches since they were first discovered, way back when the games were first released. As a result, I have performed all of them, many, many times. However, in all my researching and experimentation, I have yet to see a comprehensive list of which trainers(after the mew trick has been activated) yield which Pokemon. I would like some assistance with this. If anyone wishes to help me compile such a list, it would be much appreciated. I know it may not be very necessary, but it would be a great resource for other glitchers that will come behind us.

If anyone would like to make a submission, please follow this format:
Trainer Name
Route
Pokemon that appears

Thank you to all who assist, and I hope that I may complete this project quickly.

Re: My Magnum Opus...

Posted by: 007
Date: 2007-12-04 14:37:15
I for one was thinking of doing this myself since about a month ago.  And now that someone else has brought it up, I don't have to be primarily responsible for it. :)

I suppose the first step would be assignment by area.  The earliest I can see this being useful is in Cerulean.  Earliest possible time would be Mt. Moon (I generally get myself a L100 Gengar there) but due to the wild Pokemon that would fuck things up there, as well as the fact that Escape Rope and enough Repel is a serious kick in the wallet at that time, I vote we skip it.

First question is, who's going to start a new game to hit the necessary trainers on the way to Bill's house?

Date: 2007-12-04 14:41:42
I'll start a new game, but I was thinking more along the lines of simply avoiding all possible trainers, then activating the mew glitch, and one by one, finding out exactly which pokemon they yielded. I'll begin a new game, and keep the old file I also have, and I'll test it as much as I can.
I agree that we should leave out the cave trainers, at least for now. I'll work on determining how many trainers are in the separate areas as soon as I can…

Glad there's a kindred spirit!

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-04 15:06:08
There is an easier way if you are trying to find out which pokemon it is. Emulation only, you check the offset that contains the last pokemon's special stat. Then you don't even have to do the entire trick. If you do it right you don't even have to battle the trainer.

Pokemon 1 Special: D8CF
Pokemon 2 Special: D8FB
Pokemon 3 Special: D927
Pokemon 4 Special: D953
Pokemon 5 Special: D97F
Pokemon 6 Special: D9AB

Current Pokemon Special: CFFD

The number shown there should directly correspond to big list hexes. Of course you can do it the way you are planning to do it, but this may save a lot of unnessary time. These should give the exact result although the exact result is changed by wild pokemon.

Inless I have made errors, that will work, although you wont be able to do it with a cartridge. I would do help but I am currently doing a lot of schoolwork.

Date: 2007-12-04 15:15:55
To be honest, I know nothing of Hex or anything else related to it. I come from the old-school; I don't consider it a glitch if it's gameshark related. I appreciate the suggestion, but I would prefer to do it the old fashioned way.
BTW, I know exactly how you feel school wise, I'm going nuts getting everything ready to enter college. I start next fall…

Date: 2007-12-04 15:47:18
No, I was talking about viewing the data as it flows through the processor, not editing it like a gameshark does. It would still be the same cheating device free glitch, I was talking about reading the variables that cause the glitches.

Date: 2007-12-04 16:10:24

No, I was talking about viewing the data as it flows through the processor, not editing it like a gameshark does. It would still be the same cheating device free glitch, I was talking about reading the variables that cause the glitches.

I'm in favor of this.  Now I just need a Blue ROM (since of R/B, that's the one I own) and a knowledge of emulators.

Date: 2007-12-04 19:14:49

Do you mean
1)Which trainers FOUGHT through the Ditto Trick/Old Man glitch have which glitch PkMn
OR
2)What PkMn you get from certain trainers in the game when you do the Mew/Ditto trick without transforming and the things that make the Mew Trick different (e.g. "My dad brought me to a great party on the S.S. Anne!" is Mew)?

The second one.

Date: 2007-12-05 08:36:19

Oh, ok. My mistake. That would take a LOT less time. IF I can get my data backed up on my comp, I'll reload Windows and try it. I'm running a Linux install now, but VBA, and about a hundred other programs don't work with it… I like Linux, but hate the compatibility…

Date: 2007-12-05 09:37:27
I was sure there was a linux port of VBA that works perfectly. I'll try it on my linux…

Date: 2007-12-05 11:20:33
I can use Wine on my box to emulate No$GBA, but it isn't the same…

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-12-28 06:55:35
I have started to collect research for Yellow, but I have found that it doesn't seem to be the specific trainer that determines it. It apparently is the trainer TYPE. If so, Bug Catcher=Slowbro. However though, with the Swimmer in the Lv100 Mew trick getting you Mew, t it mot probabl the city or place that does so. So then Viridian Forest=08=Slowbro.
If it helps, here's what I had anyway:
Hex: 08
Directions: Viridian Forest right, up, second dude
PkMn: Slowbro
Trainer: Bug Catcher
Extra info: Caterpie Lv7 x2

Hex: 08
Directions: Viridian Forest right, up, third dude
PkMn: Slowbro
Trainer: Bug Catcher
Extra info: Metapod Lv6 x2, Caterpie Lv6