Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Why doesn't Missingno. have a glitched name? - Page 1

Why doesn't Missingno. have a glitched name?

Posted by: blitzer
Date: 2008-05-24 02:09:05
Usually, glitch Pokemon have strange, glitched names. But Missingno.'s name is completely understandable, not "ununderstandable" like 'M or .4. So, why do you think Missingno. has a non-glitched name? Is it just coincidence? I don't think so, since Missingno.'s Japanese name, "Ketsuban," is perfectly understandable as well, and it means the same thing. It is possible Missingno.'s name was programmed, but they deserted the rest for some reason. So, why do you think Missingno. has a non-glitchy name?

Re: Why doesn't Missingno. have a glitched name?

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2008-05-24 02:13:30
Hmm, you got a point there, most all know that MissingNo. (For short) - Missing Number, and it means the same in Japanese. 'M, is sort of glitchy, with the [block] 'M [block], in its name, but yeah most do have crazy names, half I can't even say. Who knows, mabye the programmers, couldn't think of a name, or they had a name, perhaps they wanted to save it, for the next Gen, perhaps.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-05-24 08:01:39
It was some sort of beta Pokémon or something along the lines of that. It has no real number (it's 000), so it's number is missing. Missing Number. Missing No.. MissingNo.. It was intended to be put in, so the name isn't weird.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-05-24 12:13:36

Hmm, you got a point there, most all know that MissingNo. (For short) - Missing Number, and it means the same in Japanese. 'M, is sort of glitchy, with the [block] 'M [block], in its name, but yeah most do have crazy names, half I can't even say. Who knows, mabye the programmers, couldn't think of a name, or they had a name, perhaps they wanted to save it, for the next Gen, perhaps.

No, they did not want to save it for next gen.  They programmed the name in like they programmed in MissingNo.

It was some sort of beta Pok?mon or something along the lines of that. It has no real number (it's 000), so it's number is missing. Missing Number. Missing No.. MissingNo.. It was intended to be put in, so the name isn't weird.

It is NOT a beta pok?mon.  (And it seems as if I don't have to explain that it was programmed in because you seem to already know.)

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-05-24 17:45:07

No, they did not want to save it for next gen.  They programmed the name in like they programmed in MissingNo.

It was some sort of beta Pokémon or something along the lines of that. It has no real number (it's 000), so it's number is missing. Missing Number. Missing No.. MissingNo.. It was intended to be put in, so the name isn't weird.

It is NOT a beta pokémon.  (And it seems as if I don't have to explain that it was programmed in because you seem to already know.)
I know that it wasn't a "beta Pokémon", but wasn't it used in beta testing?

Date: 2008-05-24 19:20:08

It was some sort of beta Pok?mon or something along the lines of that. It has no real number (it's 000), so it's number is missing. Missing Number. Missing No.. MissingNo.. It was intended to be put in, so the name isn't weird.

It is NOT a beta pok?mon.  (And it seems as if I don't have to explain that it was programmed in because you seem to already know.)
I know that it wasn't a "beta Pok?mon", but wasn't it used in beta testing?

No.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2008-05-24 21:37:06
Well 'm, 4., and others were beta tests while missingno. was a fill in so I suppose it's name wouldn't be a glitched up as the others due to there not being tests done on it.
Or at least thats what I think.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-05-24 21:46:11
Missingno. wasn't a "beta" Pokemon so to speak. It is physically defined (to an extent), so it's not like other glitch Pokemon. At least three were used as placeholders for sprites: the fossils and Ghost. Interestingly, while the placeholder for Ghost's sprite is called Missingno. in the English versions, he's called Ghost in the Japanese games.

It's sort of analogous to Teru-Sama from GSC – a placeholder for otherwise-undefined values. Not to be confused with actual undefined values, which make up most of the glitch Pokemon.

Date: 2008-05-24 22:20:51

Well 'm, 4., and others were beta tests while missingno. was a fill in so I suppose it's name wouldn't be a glitched up as the others due to there not being tests done on it.

'M and .4 are GLITCHES not BETA TESTS.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2008-05-25 00:13:33

why can't they be both?

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-05-25 00:40:45

why can't they be both?

Because a glitch, by definition, is unintended by the programmers. Something as unpredictable as a 'M would be pretty much useless for beta testing – and if they had known there were ways to access the glitch Pokemon, they would have fixed those long before the games went to sale.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-05-25 15:07:27
see http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showpost.php?p=379596&postcount=3

Posted by: Pokeglitch86
Date: 2008-05-28 17:48:32
Yes that would make sense Abwayax. I would think that the programmers would have a hex list that shows all the pokemon. Now instead of having that seperate from the game's programming as that would require constant updates. The hex list would show what is currently prgrammed into the game. Now whether they originally intended 190 pokemon or they just had extra for working room the hex list would show the pokemon with hex 00-BE. now the blank spaces would have glitchy names therefore slowing down the loading of the list. The logical thing to do is to cut the empty spaces out or to simply give a non-glitchy name to the pokemon. The latter would be much simpler.

Posted by: GlitchTester
Date: 2010-04-09 19:51:47

wait srry if i am out of line here but since missingno evolves into kangaskaun couldnt it be a beta pokemon for that baby kangaskaun that sits in kangaskaun's pouch? :???:

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-04-09 20:12:55
Don't bump topics that are over 120 days (4 months) old.