Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Theroy on the cause Hall of Fame corruption - Page 1

Theroy on the cause Hall of Fame corruption

Posted by: barneyzhen
Date: 2008-06-16 00:35:13
I sure someone has thought of this before, but I have a theroy on why encountering some glitch pokemon mess up your hall of fame. Well, here goes!

I think that the Hall of Fame corruption is actually a sort of memory dump. If something goes wrong, everything in memory gets dumped into the Hall of Fame, and the programmers can find out what went wrong.
Besides, putting it in the Hall of Fame makes some sense because there would be no harm in writeing data to the Hall of Fame, unless you access it.

However, I can see some problems with this theroy already:
1. If it's going to preform a memory dump because it glitched, why dosn't it reset or something?
2. Even if they know whats in memory, how would they know what's in the registers ,the stack or even what code it was running at the time.
3. Why do only glitch Pokemon trigger a memory dump? (I may be wrong  =_=)

Well what do you think…
(I think I will feel stupid later…)  :-X

EDIT: It appears the SRAM (static RAM) is modified at a handful of points in ALL battles(they appear to be entering the battle, opponet appears, and your pokemon is sent out) right before the HoF data, it appears that the MissingNo. Corruption is dew it modifing way more of the SRAM on encounter than most Pokemon.

Re: Theroy on the cause Hall of Fame corruption

Posted by: yinyang147
Date: 2008-06-16 00:58:40
1. They might've programmed a memory dump reset in, then deleted it when they were done fixing the bugs (or when they thought they were).
2. The glitch blocks/text we see in the game might not have been that way in the beginning. It could've been regular, readable text in development that let 'em know what's wrong in any script.
3. Maybe it has something to do with whatever the glitch pokemon use to show themselves.

Date: 2008-06-16 02:39:01
True, but I think I may be able to prove my theroy…
Anybody know the offset in the save file the hall of fame is located?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-06-16 10:42:24
No, MissingNo./'M partialy save the game during the long blank screen before battling them.  It's most likely caused by their encounter flag.  The HOF just happens to be the thing affected by the glitched partial save.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-06-16 15:21:15
Still, it's a good theroy.

Date: 2008-06-21 05:31:24

No, MissingNo./'M partialy save the game during the long blank screen before battling them.  It's most likely caused by their encounter flag.  The HOF just happens to be the thing affected by the glitched partial save.

Could be true, but I've got a argument coming your way.
Another reason I believe it's a memory dump is because only MissingNo. or 'M trips it. MissingNo. is NOT a nonsence name, like the ones the other glitches. It most likely stands for Missing Number, and therefore could be viewed apon as an error message. The code that trips the error messege would also preform a memory dump.

I also think the reason only a handful of Pokemon would trigger this and nothing else (?) would trigger this "memory dump" it because the last glitch they had to debug, involved invalid Pokemon hexes being accessed.

Besides, I recall only 1 bit can be altered by the encounter flag, and if anything that bit wouldn't cause HoF corruption, it's a bit in the number of the sixth item you have.

I'm going to test it now. I'll edit this post and the first one when I'm done.

EDIT: It appears the SRAM (static RAM) is modified at a handful of points in ALL battles(they appear to be entering the battle, opponet appears, and your pokemon is sent out) right before the HoF data, it appears that the MissingNo. Corruption is dew it modifing way more of the SRAM on encounter than most Pokemon.

Date: 2008-06-21 10:29:46

Another reason I believe it's a memory dump is because only MissingNo. or 'M trips it. MissingNo. is NOT a nonsence name, like the ones the other glitches. It most likely stands for Missing Number, and therefore could be viewed apon as an error message. The code that trips the error messege would also preform a memory dump.

It is a placeholder, not a memory dump.

stands for Missing Number

Hello, Captain Obvious :P

I also think the reason only a handful of Pokemon would trigger this and nothing else (?) would trigger this "memory dump" it because the last glitch they had to debug, involved invalid Pokemon hexes being accessed.

They fixed it in R/B since green crashed and Green has an "unsafe" MissingNo. named Ketsuban.  That, and there is no "memory dump".

Besides, I recall only 1 bit can be altered by the encounter flag, and if anything that bit wouldn't cause HoF corruption, it's a bit in the number of the sixth item you have.

No, this encounter flag is different, the game saves, goes through it's RAM, ROM, etc. just to find the encounter flag.  During this save, the HOF is corrupted.

EDIT: It appears the SRAM (save RAM(?)) is modified at a handful of points in ALL battles(they appear to be entering the battle, opponet appears, and your pokemon is sent out) right before the HoF data, it appears that the MissingNo. Corruption is dew it modifing way more of the SRAM on encounter than most Pokemon.

Because it half saves junk data before battle.

Date: 2008-06-23 08:29:28
:'( … ….. …….. WAH!!!!! :'( :'( WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( (kidding)
Well, I guess that derailes my theroy but I swear I saw some SRAM activity during a normal, unglitched battle…

I now believe we need to do a CPU trace during the black screen that Missingno./'M causes…

Date: 2008-06-23 10:11:32

:'( … ….. …….. WAH!!!!! :'( :'( WHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'( (kidding)
Well, I guess that derailes my theroy but I swear I saw some SRAM activity during a normal, unglitched battle…

I now believe we need to do a CPU trace during the black screen that Missingno./'M causes…

We already know what happens during the black screen so what good would that do? :\

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-06-23 10:38:36
So I guess the hidden glitched save is also of how the Emerald cloning glitch works, correct?

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2008-06-23 11:12:02
I have a question.
Why is it if you use the doduo function on stadium to the glitched hall of fame it turns pink and if you use the dodrio function it turns red?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-06-23 12:47:03
What?
Gary, even something that's people think is right for 10  years, can be wrong.(and I'm not douting you)

Gary, it could make a memory dump into the HoF with junk data(I mean, it might just seam that way, like you think, but it might really be a memory dump)

THat's most likely true about them trying to debug missingno. last, and if it is really a memory dump, it might of been then when it was programed into the game.

Well, it actuly can change 2 bits on some.

EDIT: It appears the SRAM (save RAM(?)) is modified at a handful of points in ALL battles(they appear to be entering the battle, opponet appears, and your pokemon is sent out) right before the HoF data, it appears that the MissingNo. Corruption is dew it modifing way more of the SRAM on encounter than most Pokemon.

No comment

Date: 2008-06-23 22:01:29

So I guess the hidden glitched save is also of how the Emerald cloning glitch works, correct?

Correct.

I have a question.
Why is it if you use the doduo function on stadium to the glitched hall of fame it turns pink and if you use the dodrio function it turns red?

It pallete changes and/or VRAM changes or something.  Never really studied Stadium that much.

What?
Gary, even something that's people think is right for 10  years, can be wrong.(and I'm not douting you)

Gary, it could make a memory dump into the HoF with junk data(I mean, it might just seam that way, like you think, but it might really be a memory dump)

This would be pointless to the developers as even THEY would not even make sense out of the said data.

THat's most likely true about them trying to debug missingno. last, and if it is really a memory dump, it might of been then when it was programed into the game.

They made the Hall of Fame as a Hall of Fame. No more, no less. MissingNo. is an error trap, it does not trigger a memory dump in any form. (Unless junk data counts.)

Well, it actuly can change 2 bits on some.

No comment

Posted by: Drakkar
Date: 2008-07-23 20:31:49
Gary is rigth,playing red on stadium i noticed "Saving…" messages while encountering glitches,so they appear because the game searches the RAM,ROM,etc saving the game while searching?