Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

The reason why MissingNo. appears. - Page 1

The reason why MissingNo. appears.

Posted by: BLMNDEF
Date: 2009-02-09 19:40:07
When the OLD MAN teaches you how to catch a Weedle, the game has to store you're name's varibles somewhere to change you're name so it says "OLD MAN threw the Pokeball", right? YES. So (and thank Gamefreak for this part) the programers said, "Hey, why don't we store the varibles in the wild Pokemon that appear? There are no grassy spots in Viridian City, and when you leave the spot, the Pokemon will be reset, so it won't harm the game at all!" But they totally forgot about the strip on CInnibar Island, which changes the wild Pokemon that appear there are set from the wild Pokemon in the last place! So the Pokemon that appear there are based on your name!! COOL!!! You really should try this trick! See what your own name gets…..for example: TREVER would get Snorlax and MissingNo. or GARYASH would get Marowak, Golduck, and MissingNo.! I've gotta try that :)

Re: The reason why MissingNo. appears.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-02-09 19:58:24
I've heard that if you use a default name (RED, ASH and JOHN are my examples), the variables for the other default names are still present, but behind the end of name marker (eg: RED*end of name marker*ASHJOH), so you could get more Pok?mon that way (eg: Mewtwo Lv. 128, Golduck Lv. 80, Golbat Lv. 132, and MissingNo. Lv. 146 for default RED). However, every time I've used a default name, I haven't found 'Ms in that way, but I'm working on a theory and will post it when I'm finished.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-02-09 20:31:56
I'm sorry, but we already knew that. AS IF YOU CAN'T GUESS BY THE RBY NAME GENERATOR ON THE FRONT PAGE!

Posted by: BLMNDEF
Date: 2009-02-10 06:23:17
Well I'm new here and….

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-02-10 20:10:49
Cool it Axaj! It is natural for new members to be very Naive. They can't help it. I was Naive (Not to mention an asshole) when I first joined.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-02-10 20:26:47
*presents the Mace of the Glitch Nation to Glisp*

ORDER!  ORDER!

The Hon Mr. Glisp is hereby named.  Do not show your face for 42 days.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-02-10 20:41:48
OBJECTION! THIS COURTROOM IS UNDER IMMEDIATE LOCKDOWN!

<~Judge> I'll allow it. *bangs gavel*

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-02-10 20:45:52
[img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1382/facepalm2ly3.jpg[/img]