Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Nosy Yellow Pikachu - Page 1

Nosy Yellow Pikachu

Posted by: IttyBitty
Date: 2009-06-04 11:23:03
I've been wondering about this for a while- is it something in Yellow's programming, or a fluke? My Yellow Pikachu seems to have jealousy issues.

First happened years ago, in a trade I made with my brother. I gave him my Haunter, it evolved, and I got his Alakazam. Pikachu was in my party at the time, but I didn't trade him.
So I go to trade back his Alakazam, and he goes to trade back my Gengar. Mid-trade, his batteries crap out. Now, we all know the cloning glitch: Alakazam should be gone (which he was) and Gengar should have been on both games.
Well, Gengar was on my game…
My brother, on the other hand, had a clone of my Pikachu. The very Pikachu that follows me around. It acted like any traded pokemon- no nickname change available, didn't follow him. But…I didn't trade the Pikachu. He just butted in of his own free will (nosy little…)
My brother later trained this clone, told me it sucked, and gave it back to me in my Crystal. Which was erased (static electricity and gameboy games don't mix).

But this wasn't the end of it. Years later, I hooked up my Blue to my Yellow (the very same Yellow) and entered a link battle. Once again, Pikachu just had to butt in.
Blue sends out a Missingno.
Yellow sends out a Jolteon.
Yellow's screen has a long delay before Missingno comes out, so I quickly tell Blue to switch to my Omanyte. Blue goes to "Waiting".
Missingno finally pops out of the pokeball on Yellow. But instead of getting my fight, items, etc. I get this message:
"Pikachu is trying to learn (mass of glitch text). But Pikachu already knows 4 moves. Delete an older move to make room for (mass of glitch text)?"
Concerned, I pressed no. After a moment's pause, the very same message popped up, with the very same glitch text. I shut both games off.
Once again, Pikachu was in my party, but not on the battlefield. None of my other pokemon are this nosy. And I still can't recreate this link battle scenario; every time I send out Missingno, Yellow crashes.

Why, Pikachu, WHY? He's a jealous little rat, that's for sure…

Re: Nosy Yellow Pikachu

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-04 12:33:37
Ok, I can probably explain this little oddity.

While trading and unplugging etc, somehow your Pikachu's data was transfered to his game.  Link errors can't be explained throughly as most are unique.

That PIKACHU/MISSINGNO IS TRYING TO LEARN text is a normal effect of what MissingNo does in Yellow Version every once in a while since it has a low chance of acting like a normal Pok?mon ignoring the sound going out that it always causes. 

Posted by: IttyBitty
Date: 2009-06-04 13:22:15
Ah, I see. So it was probably just a coincidence that both glitches happened to special Pikachu who follows me around, right?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-06-04 14:01:08
the 'special pikachu' is just a pikachu on pokemon yellow which has the same OT as you, so if the pikachu does not have the same OT it will not follow you around, and thats likely why it didnt follow your brother's player.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-04 14:21:57

Ah, I see. So it was probably just a coincidence that both glitches happened to special Pikachu who follows me around, right?

Yes.