Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Gamekiller glitch? - Page 1

Gamekiller glitch?

Posted by: Exarion
Date: 2009-06-17 13:37:29
Hello there.
I've got a big with the Red Edition of my friend.
He was telling me he Captured a M on Cinnibar and after playing with it for a while, he started a new game.
He came to the point where he can choose a Pokemon and he saved after choosing Squirtel.
After going down, where Gary challenges you, instead of saying something, glitch blocks and Glitch Music comes up. And this is where it gets weird.
No matter what you do, you can't actually do something, because everytime a text appears, the first line is showed and the rest gets glitchy + glitch music.
Starting a new game makes glitch music appear after Oak is on the screen, and the text box appears. But instead of glitch text, Oak is singing glitch music for about 30 seconds, making a picture of himself appear in the Text box. Seems like Oak likes speaking of himself in pictures.
Bag, options, saving and the screen, where you can see your badges and money are working as always. When I want to see my team, game crashes after playing glitchy music for a while. (May be some seconds or minutes)
Sometimes, after hearing glitchy music for some minutes, the team actually appers, asking you which pokemoan shall use the item. You can open the stats of the Pokemon as usuall, without hearing glitchy sound. Leaving makes glitchy sound for several minutes, but the game don't crash.

Is there any chance, i can make that game working normally again? (There could be the possibility to link with Pokemon Stadium. I just have to buy somewhere the cable linking the Nintendo64 with the gameboy color).

I don't realy believe M is the reason, cause i captured in my own blue version m, missingno and others many times, wothout crippling the game like that.

It would be great if you could help me  :)

Re: Gamekiller glitch?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-06-17 13:49:24
I am glad you have realized it is not 'M. Just wanted to commend you for that, being new and all. With this information I can't figure out what's wrong, can you ask your friend if he had done anything else? To be honest I haven't heard of this before.
This seems more likely to be caused by cheat device codes, now that I think about it.

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-06-17 13:58:29
Either that, or the game is dying inside. (Internal battery or something?)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-06-17 14:45:26
Internal Battery only effects saves, though in rare cases it may effect new games.  Try deleting the save using that one button combo (AB+Select or something) on the Pokemon REd title screen then delete it.  If this doesn't help, try dusting the cartridge/Game Boy.  If this does not help, the effects sound like they are standard effects of ROM corruption.

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2009-06-17 15:07:54
Yea, there's always the possibility that the CR2025 save battery has actually leaked in the cartridge o_O;; (I think it happened with my Red version…)

A leaking save battery can cause stuff like the ROM chip being glitched, the game not starting, etc…

Date: 2009-06-17 15:31:33
I don't get the "delete the save" button combo. Tried everything but nothing happens =/
Maybe it's helpfull to say that i'm playing a german copy of the game.

@Dani
This sure would be the worst case. =/
Is there any way to repair the game after that?

Date: 2009-06-17 15:40:20
Ok, just got this from the original Pokemon Red Booklet, hit Up+Select+B then confirm that you want to delete the save data.  Try it on the title screen.

Date: 2009-06-17 16:28:14
Ok, the button combo worked, but instead of asking me to delete my save data i get some fancy glitched music again >_>
The game crashes after about 10 seconds though.
As it seems, all text data, excluding the menu, seems to be corrupt.
Because everytime a text box shows up, glitch music is played, and sometimes glitch blocks showed.

Date: 2009-06-17 16:46:46
Yep, your ROM is fried, but have fun listening to awesome glitch music. :P

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-06-21 09:19:34
Your friend's Red is the same as mine. Dead.
Does your pokemart work ? cause before i pulled the battery out to erase the save file the pokemart actually worked: after a few mins of glitchy text i got the Buy/Sell/Cancel menu, after pressing (A) on Buy I got to the items menu.

My bag still worked but .. the game froze if i tried to access my party.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-06-25 08:02:54
Hello there.
I've got a big with the Red Edition of my friend.
He was telling me he Captured a M on Cinnibar and after playing with it for a while, he started a new game.
He came to the point where he can choose a Pokemon and he saved after choosing Squirtel.
After going down, where Gary challenges you, instead of saying something, glitch blocks and Glitch Music comes up. And this is where it gets weird.
No matter what you do, you can't actually do something, because everytime a text appears, the first line is showed and the rest gets glitchy + glitch music.
Starting a new game makes glitch music appear after Oak is on the screen, and the text box appears. But instead of glitch text, Oak is singing glitch music for about 30 seconds, making a picture of himself appear in the Text box. Seems like Oak likes speaking of himself in pictures.
Bag, options, saving and the screen, where you can see your badges and money are working as always. When I want to see my team, game crashes after playing glitchy music for a while. (May be some seconds or minutes)
Sometimes, after hearing glitchy music for some minutes, the team actually appers, asking you which pokemoan shall use the item. You can open the stats of the Pokemon as usuall, without hearing glitchy sound. Leaving makes glitchy sound for several minutes, but the game don't crash.

Is there any chance, i can make that game working normally again? (There could be the possibility to link with Pokemon Stadium. I just have to buy somewhere the cable linking the Nintendo64 with the gameboy color).

I don't realy believe M is the reason, cause i captured in my own blue version m, missingno and others many times, wothout crippling the game like that.

It would be great if you could help me  :)

Sorry to hear about your game but it likely is your internal battery.

Have you had your game for over 7 years?
You will be able to replace the battery though, just use a screwdriver on the cartridge and carefully replace it. Or buy a new game, I'm sure you can find one on an auction site or something like that

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-06-27 20:58:40
Try to corrupt your save file.