Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Placeholder Maps for Pokémon Yellow? - Page 1

Placeholder Maps for Pokémon Yellow?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-09-25 13:18:18
I recently found that hex EE on Pokémon Yellow took you to an odd location where the character continously spins upwards or downwards depending on which direction you entered it and later crashes.

Your sprite is also drastically changed in this process as usually it will change to a black and white version of the character and when emulated will change into the sprite of a female trainer. The fact that your character is constantly spinning means you cannot open the menu and eventually the game will crash when you go out of bounds. The bicycle music plays here, see below screenshot:

[img]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9943/glitchhaze.png[/img]

There are actually six or more variations of this area though and hex values ED,EE, F1, F2, F3 and F4 all take the character to the same area.

This gives me some idea that these areas might be placeholder maps and notably they are in between the elite four rooms and pikachu surf house and the elevator room but I really can't be certain because these maps have really strange effects.

It should be noted though that these maps only seem to work on Pokémon Yellow; if we try them on R/B the game actually restarts itself similar to the G/S/C 'Glitch Dimension' but it is a successful restart as the colours remain normal.

It might be possible that these locations do work on Pokémon Green and they could be accessed without gameshark using the Doko Kashira Door glitch but there also remains the possibility these areas could simply restart the game like how R/B does.

These are the only maps on Pokémon Yellow I have found that actually seem to work which have unique data, there was a map for FE which appeared to take me to a glitch like area for a small period of time but after that the game crashed, that map doesn't seem to exist on R/B though and just has a black and white flickering effect which stays at a black screen when i turn the code off.

Re: Placeholder Maps for Pokémon Yellow?

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-09-25 15:44:46

I recently found that hex EE on Pokémon Yellow took you to an odd location where the character continously spins upwards or downwards depending on which direction you entered it and later crashes.

Your sprite is also drastically changed in this process as usually it will change to a black and white version of the character and when emulated will change into the sprite of a female trainer. The fact that your character is constantly spinning means you cannot open the menu and eventually the game will crash when you go out of bounds. The bicycle music plays here, see below screenshot:

There are actually six or more variations of this area though and hex values ED,EE, F1, F2, F3 and F4 all take the character to the same area.

This gives me some idea that these areas might be placeholder maps and notably they are in between the elite four rooms and pikachu surf house and the elevator room but I really can't be certain because these maps have really strange effects.

It should be noted though that these maps only seem to work on Pokémon Yellow; if we try them on R/B the game actually restarts itself similar to the G/S/C 'Glitch Dimension' but it is a successful restart as the colours remain normal.

It might be possible that these locations do work on Pokémon Green and they could be accessed without gameshark using the Doko Kashira Door glitch but there also remains the possibility these areas could simply restart the game like how R/B does.

These are the only maps on Pokémon Yellow I have found that actually seem to work which have unique data, there was a map for FE which appeared to take me to a glitch like area for a small period of time but after that the game crashed, that map doesn't seem to exist on R/B though and just has a black and white flickering effect which stays at a black screen when i turn the code off.

The italicized/bolded details make me think that these are beta maps for Yellow in which they tried to implement a female character.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-09-26 01:10:57
These maps all use the same map header, at 11:5C80. Well, ostensibly its a map header. In actuality, 11:5C80 is some sort of data or codebut definitely not a map header.

In other words, while the fact that the maps exist (note: CF is the same one too) may be of note, the effects on the map are pure glitch and not any sort of beta feature.

Date: 2009-09-26 07:40:36
Why does the trainer sprite turn female, than?

Date: 2009-09-26 07:49:00

These maps all use the same map header, at 11:5C80. Well, ostensibly its a map header. In actuality, 11:5C80 is some sort of data or codebut definitely not a map header.

In other words, while the fact that the maps exist (note: CF is the same one too) may be of note, the effects on the map are pure glitch and not any sort of beta feature.

Date: 2009-09-26 20:42:59
So, in other words, pure coincidence?

Date: 2009-09-26 20:57:17
yes