Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

A code that 'takes you straight into the game' from the opening screen - Page 1

A code that 'takes you straight into the game' from the opening screen

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2009-09-29 13:58:25
On Pokémon Yellow I found the code 01XX7EE5 which is quite strange, some values such as 11, 87 and 88 take you to real areas in the game before you even decide to press new game or continue. As a result when you are taken to them the graphics appear quite glitched, including those of the map, the menu and most other things. I tried saving to see if the graphics would fix themselves if I pressed continue to access it the normal way but it deleted my save file, it didnt say it was destroyed but just took away the continue option.

Lots of values crash the game if you wait to watch the introduction and some have other effects on the actual introduction itself but value 11 took me to north of pallet town where oak appeared to stop me and crashed the game. 88 was similar to 11 and 87 took me to one of the  Pokémon centers but it would not let me move at all suggesting it took me on a tile you can't normally move on.

Re: A code that 'takes you straight into the game' from the opening screen

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-09-29 15:42:20
Did you try combining "Walk through walls" with that code?

Date: 2009-09-29 15:53:37
I will try: The strange thing is it seems like the map just loops, I can't find any doors to other areas or otherwise anything to crash the game for me going out of bounds so I can't really get out of the Pokémon center and play the game normally this way.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-09-30 14:13:28
Well, the code forces the gamemode to start in one frame, breaking all sorts of loading routines, game logic, controls, and basically all the code that runs the game to make it playable.  It's a wonder the thing doesn't just crash.

Also, your save file would have been writen over with random data or 00s which is why it was destroyed.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-09-30 14:44:59
That is weird. It's like on Green, when I would pick a Pokémon, say like Charizard 'M, I would suddenly be sent to Cinnarbar Island, a few badges, Pokémon, and my character's name changed when I have no other data that far, it's bizzare, but suddenly skip from the intro/opening screen right into the game, sounds nuts. Oddly enough the no door things, sort of sounds like Glitch City, but would the game crash if you did try walking through walks/opening doors?

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-09-30 20:41:16
Go into a normally walkable area using walk through walls, save, and then use a warp code.

Date: 2009-10-03 08:07:24

That is weird. It's like on Green, when I would pick a Pokémon, say like Charizard 'M, I would suddenly be sent to Cinnarbar Island, a few badges, Pokémon, and my character's name changed when I have no other data that far, it's bizzare, but suddenly skip from the intro/opening screen right into the game, sounds nuts. Oddly enough the no door things, sort of sounds like Glitch City, but would the game crash if you did try walking through walks/opening doors?

Oddly enough you can easily walk-through walls with a bit of lag, but the screen seems to wrap itself. I havent had the game crash at all, there do not seem to be 'any normal walkable areas' and like Gary M 9 suggested some values may still be 0 or values that are only essential for the title screen because they have not been changed yet and so map data may appear glitchy. The wrapped screen may be essential for the title screen so that objects can be hidden in the black border i.e the star that moves across the screen I'm not sure if this correct but the title screen may have 2 layers, one for normal display and the black areas and possibly objects become hidden in those black areas.

I can't even see how many badges I have though or my current name because of the glitchy font, I'd presume it would be Nintend or something reserved for the title screen.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-10-04 06:26:34
Ninten is the player's name before the new game data is initialized, so yes.
inb4 IIMarkus explains everything

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-04 09:59:09
http://mltreq.alwaysdata.net/i/default-names
inb4 IIMarkus can do that.