Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Over level 100 Pokemon glitches (RBY) - Page 1

Over level 100 Pokemon glitches (RBY)

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-11-29 11:55:04
I have been on a trip to pre-glitchologist times and I have decided to post some glitches I noticed about over level 100 Pokemon. No, not that they exist. These at the time were things I could do, with no real knowledge of why and what. Now I have been reminded of them I can explain what they are and how to exploit them further.

Stable over level 100 Pokemon
I noticed that if you caught a MissingNo over level 100 (using the old man trick) and viewed it's stats while still deposited, it would turn into a Rhydon who's level would be over level 100, but more interestingly it would not level down after battles.

Unlike the title states, this is an unstable hybrid of MissingNo and Rhydon caused by the box system "Stablising" half of MissingNo's data. This does not go down levels because the experience required to get MissingNo to level 100 is a lot smaller than the maximum experience points allowed by the experience required to get Rhydon to level 100. The difference is so large that you can actually raise this unstable MissingNo-Rhydon hybrid to a maximum level of 192.
This actually works for gaining levels from 100. Because it still gets exp when level 100, it is possible to reach the amount required for level 101.

So how can we exploit this further? Well, this could work for any Unstable Hybrid which different exp requirements for level 100. As long as the apparent Pokemon (eg Rhydon) requires more exp then it will be able to be leveled over 100 (unless the difference is pretty small). Of course the best results are from Glitch-Real hybrids which doesn't always give you the best stats but some Real-Real hybrids will probably work.

Infinite HP
Well, it isn't really infinite, but if you raise a Pokemon without full health that is level 255 to level 0, it will then have seemingly infinite health.

This works nicely because level 0 Pokemon have as a general rule 10 HP, because the HP of the leveled Pokemon is worked out by Current HP/Max HP difference then if the difference is 11 or more it will go into negatives. As negatives are interpreted as maximum-number then the -1 HP will turn into 65535 HP.

Alternatively, if you catch something with a level over 100 (such as in the Old Man trick) and make sure its Current HP/Max HP difference is greater than the amount of HP it will have when it down levels to 100 then you will have a similar effect.

Well, there you are. An overcomplicated, late and useless pair of glitches.
Hope you enjoy it.

Re: Over level 100 Pokemon glitches (RBY)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-11-29 12:00:00
As negatives are interpreted as maximum-number then the -1 HP will turn into 65535 HP.

don't you mean 255HP ? or are we talking R/S/FR/LG/E/D/P/Pt/HG/SS ?

Re: Over level 100 Pokemon glitches (RBY)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2009-11-29 12:03:30
No, 65535, R/B/Y had a word value for HP, too.