Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Glitch Dex? - Page 1

Glitch Dex?

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2010-01-25 01:06:14
I thought I would ask, since I just found this, like…..20 minutes ago.

To be more specific, as said in the note, I found a method without any codes other than WTW, to alter the Pokedex to allow viewing of 240 spaces instead of the recent 152.

To be honest, I probably didn't find the method, but I'd like to think I did…

Should I upload a video to the GCL youtube channel? Or would it not be worth that much since…I think there's a code for that but I did it without codes, so….I thought I'd ask.

From what I can tell, the channel is for sensible glitches, rather than just chaotic ones which most of my video's are comprised of.

I thought I'd ask…
Yes I can prove it if its a worthwhile endeavor.

Thanks for reading.

Re: Glitch Dex?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-25 02:08:23

To be more specific, as said in the note, I found a method without any codes other than WTW, to alter the pokedex to allow viewing of 240 spaces instead of the recent 152.

Is this something I should post a video of/upload to the youtube Glitch city labs channel? Or would it not be worth that much since…I think there's a code for that but I did it without codes, so….

From what I can tell, the channel is for sensible glitches, rather than just chaotic ones which most of my video's are comprised of.

I thought I'd ask…

Thanks for reading.

Some other people have done something similar, especially for speed-runs. The pokémon you don't actually have or ones after the sixth slot on a typical game correspond to other data, such as locations, badges owned and screen effects. Therefore it might be a little difficult to exactly reproduce this effect unless you use save corruption to do this at the beginning of the game.

Regarding WTW, you can do that without gameshark. Just make sure your last safari zone step is on a ledge (via glitch city trick) and make sure your only Pokémon is poisoned, make it faint at the safari zone gate and you will be able to walkthrough walls without crashing the game first

Date: 2010-01-25 02:15:37

To be more specific, as said in the note, I found a method without any codes other than WTW, to alter the pokedex to allow viewing of 240 spaces instead of the recent 152.

Is this something I should post a video of/upload to the youtube Glitch city labs channel? Or would it not be worth that much since…I think there's a code for that but I did it without codes, so….

I thought I'd ask…

Thanks for reading.

Some other people have done something similar, especially for speed-runs. The pokémon you don't actually have or ones after the sixth slot on a typical game correspond to other data, such as locations, badges owned and screen effects. Therefore it might be a little difficult to exactly reproduce this effect unless you use save corruption to do this at the beginning of the game.

Regarding WTW, you can do that without gameshark. Just make sure your last safari zone step is on a ledge (via glitch city trick) and make sure your only Pokémon is poisoned, make it faint at the safari zone gate and you will be able to walkthrough walls without crashing the game first

Ahh okie, then I didn't find it…:( Oh well…

Regarding the WTW without gameshark, I know about that, and I've tried it before, that's how I found whats past the freeze tiles, but I also know of its limitations, the limitations are, that it can't work in any buildings because it works be tricking the game into thinking you are in midair, when you aren't.
But once you enter a building, the character is repositioned.
But why you aren't repositioned from having all your pokemon faint, I don't know…

I asked so that there might be some glitch pokemon viewable only in the pokedex, since I found out how to mod the pokedex via the pokemon, but that has limitations unless you know exactly where to place the pokemon.

So far I've seen the 255th slots glitch, changing pokedex entries, a "trainerM" entry, M's entry, Missingno's entry, and Charizard M's entry

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-25 02:20:52

I thought I'd ask…

Thanks for reading.

Ahh okie, then I didn't find it…:( Oh well…

Regarding the WTW without gameshark, I know about that, and I've tried it before, that's how I found whats past the freeze tiles, but I also know of its limitations, the limitations are, that it can't work in any buildings because it works be tricking the game into thinking you are in midair, when you aren't.
But once you enter a building, the character is repositioned.
But why you aren't repositioned from having all your pokemon faint, I don't know…

I asked so that there might be some glitch pokemon viewable only in the pokedex, since I found out how to mod the pokedex via the pokemon, but that has limitations unless you know exactly where to place the pokemon.

So far I've seen the 255th slots glitch, changing pokedex entries, a "trainerM" entry, M's entry, Missingno's entry, and Charizard M's entry

Thanks for the reply.

Your welcome. I'm sure that would be brilliant to have on the youtube group, I would like to try that myself just to see professor oak spurt out completely random gibberish.

Date: 2010-01-25 02:26:02
As far as I know though, this can't be easily done on English Red or Blue, there could be a cheat code, but I am still sketchy with the details of how to get the huge amount of Pokemon, something to do with Charizard M' but that's about all I know on how to get it.

I looked for a wiki, and I don't recall seeing one.

Also, doesn't the save corruption only give you the 152slots in the pokedex?
I've never seen it in action and thoroughly explored, or any documentation of it.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-01-25 18:54:36
Post the video.

Date: 2010-01-25 21:27:36
Here's the video since I can't seem to upload it to the channel…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waml6kajUq4

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-01-26 00:26:30

As far as I know though, this can't be easily done on NTSC Red or Blue, there could be a cheat code, but I am still sketchy with the details of how to get the huge amount of Pokemon, something to do with Charizard M' but that's about all I know on how to get it.

I looked for a wiki, and I don't recall seeing one.

Also, doesn't the save corruption only give you the 152slots in the pokedex?
I've never seen it in action and thoroughly explored, or any documentation of it.

Just a note, NTSC and PAL don't apply to gameboy titles as they aren't region locked. The U/C versions would be more appropriate.

Date: 2010-01-26 00:53:51
I thought they applied under base region use rather than actual coding when region free.
But I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the correction.

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2010-01-26 19:43:03
So um, explain exactly how did you get the pokedex glitchy?

Date: 2010-01-26 21:12:30
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure how I activated this part of the game, something about Exploiting Charizard M', then getting the entire archive available on the PC in-game, then I got it visible, I still have to experiment with that, then I got to view them all, some were viewable some weren't, depending on what you do, you can screw the game up via, just looking at them.

So I decided to view them all, screwed the game up alot, to the point of just looking at the items menu, stopped for a bit, went back to the beginning of when I could look at the archive, then moved them around.

Eventually I got that as the most recent thing.

I'm sorry its so disjointed, but that's about what I know, using a speed run method as something else I guess…

If you look at my youtube account, there is a video called "pokedos cartouche" that shows alot of the earlier experimentation results.
I charted originally about 280 glitch poke'mon.

EDIT: I've got the steps for the pokedos cartouche, I'll try to get a video up tomorrow, if problems persist, then….problems persist…:(

Also, I'm still referring to the glitch pokemon as glitch pokemon rather than "controllers for other parts" of the game because of convienience more or less.

EDIT2: Ok, this would take forever to record, so I wrote up a guide on how to do it, should I post that instead for the time being?
It can't have precise instructions, such as what pokemon to switch out when having the archive, but it tells how to get there.

Date: 2010-01-28 04:51:47
Sorry to double post, but I got a video up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIWTRUWAZbw
PKR-GW0 Proc-La-ruesh-Tae-O-Nahs

That is essentially, how I got the glitched pokedex though it only shows slight changes to the pokedex, rather than glitches all over, like the glitched pokedex I showed before.
I have yet to chart the exact changes made to get that far.

Also, I noticed a thread posted a long while back, about changing fly's limitations.

I tried the code, and it works to a degree, it won't really let me do anything while activated though, but, what it does do that I found interesting, is freeze the games code roughly, in certain spots, this has interesting results.

Such as shortly before the Star comes down, just after starting the game.
If done, then it will bring up a Hall of fame style gallery, with glitch pokemon and "Gamefreak" frozen in white in the background.

I can get a video up sometime if wanted.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-01-28 10:21:24
Is this the normal pokedex but with 256 entries gotten via gameshark codes?

Date: 2010-01-28 15:32:34
Yes, however, the ONLY code used was walk through walls for maybe 10 seconds.

The code listed in the "glitch pokedex" entry in the main site, or the wiki was not used, the only code that was used, is shown in the video, nor was any code used to make that effect unnaturally according to the games physics, be is standard of glitch physics.

And I'm not sure about the limit, it could be 255, or 240, or more, I'm really not sure.
Probably 255 due to the GB's memory, or something like that…

There are LOTS and LOTS of other effects though, the pokedex is only one….