Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

A rom creating a used save file by itself? - Page 1

A rom creating a used save file by itself?

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2010-02-01 02:38:22
Hey I encountered something a few days ago that, everyone is saying shouldn't be possible, or it may be a programmers quirk that was set off by coincidence…

And this could be something that I just overlooked, but every computer law I know of is stating the opposite and it shouldn't be possible because computers don't do things on their own unless programmed to do so, but its right there, and I even recorded it…

Is it even probable, that a save file for pokemon red would just be generated out of nowhere by the rom itself, let alone a save file that I saved everything to immediately before I started glitching around with it?

Any thoughts?

So in short, a rom of pokemon red, is spawning a year old save file of mine.
Is that even probable in the least?
If so, can anyone say how?
Or a theory?

To be a bit goofy, my theory is, that the save file I used at some point collided with the rom and an error code 39, and created V'ger.
But really my theory is just that, but without V'ger.

(Which is Ironic since the earlier pokemon games already have Q, and M, the two continuum's of Star Trek, and I saw V9R' as a glitch text in the start menu repeated after experimenting once.)

Here's the video, I promise its the same folder used throught in the emulator and in the window.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEOMnSJe9A

Re: A rom creating a used save file by itself?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-02-01 03:26:18
I do not have much experience with emulation, however the only in-game processes that I know the game can generate save data are by the data stored when using the 'save' interface, data stored in the hall of fame's data and data in the pokémon boxes.

Although you did say that you saved a lot of data to that save file before, I'm not entirely sure sorry did you save an extra file of that save in another folder if somehow you can set the emulator to read save files from other places too?

Date: 2010-02-01 03:30:20
No, This file hasn't been used in about a year.
I've made many many copies, but haven't used this one (for a year) until now, I've kept it as an original file, with the save file and some states, that I didn't want to mess around with, but it weirded me out that I couldn't change the save file, and isolated the rom and it did that.

And as far as I know, you can't make the emulator read from other places than your direct choosing, so the file couldn't have loaded it, and if I understand it right, it wouldn't have saved one in its folder if it could directly access another for the save file.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-02-02 23:25:05
Not long ago my REAL pokemon blue game pulled out some old data. MY save file got erased somehow, but when I used the cooltainer move with my ditto sometimes it used a pokemon's name as its attack name. Those pokemon were pokemon from my box (electabuzz and arcanine). I switched to an empty box and it said DITTO used DEXTER (the name of a previously saved game). I think it is still possible to pull data back in a similar way to recovering deleted data on a computer.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2010-02-03 00:30:53
I heard a few years back there was a GameShark code that could bring back a previous save file. Too bad I don't remember the source.  :-\

Date: 2010-02-03 00:37:22

Not long ago my REAL pokemon blue game pulled out some old data. MY save file got erased somehow, but when I used the cooltainer move with my ditto sometimes it used a pokemon's name as its attack name. Those pokemon were pokemon from my box (electabuzz and arcanine). I switched to an empty box and it said DITTO used DEXTER (the name of a previously saved game). I think it is still possible to pull data back in a similar way to recovering deleted data on a computer.

I have a question about that, if I may.

When you look at your characters profile in the start menu, does it have an after image of some of the parts of the menu, but they only last for 1/4th of a second or something?

I agree it should be possible to bring back files that were "deleted" but I'm unsure as to how…

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-02-03 19:30:00
I'll just check right now…………….

It flashese something… I think it's just a quick flicker of your surroundings (like what you would see if you hadn't pressed start).

Date: 2010-02-03 19:55:47
Alright, thanks.

For me, its a flash of the Badges, or of the gym leaders sprites shown where the badges are, if the badges weren't obtained yet.