Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Uh, huh. - Page 1

Uh, huh.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2010-03-07 17:12:03
Hey guys. Not sure if this is in the right section but…
Was there suppose to be a Pokemon Center on Route 11?

See, I was doing this glitch I found which I call "the infinite trainer battle loop".
Any ways, when doing the glitch (properly) it causes the Trainer not to say their own phrase but a phrase of some one else on the route.

So, I did it on Route 11 and I got the "Welcome to the Pokemon center" thing (it even healed my Pokemon).

So, I was curious, was there any beta data that could indicate that Route 11 had a Pokemon center or was even once a town or something.

Re: Uh, huh.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2010-03-07 17:26:52
What's this infinite trainer battle loop thing?  The only time I ever got that was when I was 6 and I was on the route just near Vermillion after just reading a sign that said GRIMER are no where near Vermillion because of how clean everything is so I encountered a grimer somehow near diglett cave.  Not in the cave, just normal grass area.  Then after the battle was done, the gambler that says "WIN LOSE OR DRAW!" kept battling me from the same spot I was at from the Grimer Battle until I shut off my game.

Date: 2010-03-07 17:42:27

What's this infinite trainer battle loop thing?

It's a glitch I found a couple of months back.

The name isn't very appropriate since it doesn't so much loop the battle as it makes the game not remember that you battle the trainer before. So, whenever the trainer is facing you they'll challenge you to a battle.

P.S. When your trainer loop battle thing happened were you doing any glitches on the game?

Date: 2010-03-07 18:31:45
Oh, it seems that Route 11 instead of the trainers replacing their phrase for another phrase from a trainer on the route. It seems they take a phrase from any character in the game (I think).

Nevermind…

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-03-07 23:48:54
How do you activate this glitch? Perhaps it should be investigated more? Who knows, could get a hall of fame or something.

Date: 2010-03-08 06:53:04
Well, I was in the middle of making a video to explain it's steps.
It's kind of complicated so, I don't know how useful it will be.

Date: 2010-03-08 21:30:38
I mades a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZD_z3Zzu_M

Date: 2010-03-08 23:39:19
Wow, that's cool. A shame it only works in Yellow. I will have to learn about that trick zone thing then….

EDIT: Would you be able to explain trick zone or is it too complicated? Thing is I have very low bandwidth and youtube is bad for eating it.

Date: 2010-03-09 05:45:23
Yeah sure.
Step 1: Fly/Teleport away from this guy [IMG]http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o125/coolcatkim22/Thisguy.png[/img].
Step 2: Go battle another trainer but make him walk to you.
Step 3: Read Cerulean City's sign
Step 4: Return to the location where you ran away from the first Trainer.

Date: 2010-03-09 22:55:13
Does it only work with that trainer or can I use for example the trainer above cerulean?

Date: 2010-03-10 06:06:05
Nah, it has to be a trainer from route 9 and that's the only guy who you can fly/teleport away from on that route.

Well actually, that's not entirely true. It doesn't have to be a trainer from route 9.
There is another way you could do the trick…

Step 1: Fly/Teleport away from one of the trainers on route 19 (there are like four that you can do the trick with).
Step 2: Go battle another trainer but make him walk to you.
Step 3: Read The Fossil Pokemon's sign
Step 4: Return to Route 19.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-03-12 15:35:15

Hey guys. Not sure if this is in the right section but…
Was there suppose to be a Pokemon Center on Route 11?

See, I was doing this glitch I found which I call "the infinite trainer battle loop".
Any ways, when doing the glitch (properly) it causes the Trainer not to say their own phrase but a phrase of some one else on the route.

So, I did it on Route 11 and I got the "Welcome to the Pokemon center" thing (it even healed my Pokemon).

So, I was curious, was there any beta data that could indicate that Route 11 had a Pokemon center or was even once a town or something.

There are Pokémon Centers on Route 4, as well as Route 10. I am unsure how exactly the game manages certain strings of dialog, but I have noticed that in Generation I the actual strings of data seem to vary based on certain information within a particular map. For example, the code 01XX5DD3 (or 01XX5ED3 in R/B) will instantly change what map the game will be managing. It is notable that when one activates the code before entering a door first the game will (in a sense) instantly change map information to match with a given value, but previous bytes concerning how in-game dialogue is managed remains unchanged. For example, in Pallet Town one value might correspond to a string of text such as 'I keep Pokémon with me to protect me' whilst the same value might correspond to an entirely different string of text such as 'So you're good at Pokémon but hows your chem?' in another map.

I have noticed though that some maps seem to use the same bytes concerning what text will 'come out' of certain values. Perhaps Route 9, Route 10, Route 11 and Route 10's Pokémon Center share some of the same values? Normally when the player exits a variables like these will change, notably if one was to move from one town to another the palette would change. I can't be certain but perhaps when you cannot activate the 'start menu' variables concerning what bytes are used to display text will not change.