Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

I think Missingno is ignoring me ;___; - Page 1

I think Missingno is ignoring me ;___;

Posted by: Petit con
Date: 2010-03-20 09:30:34
Well then I have a problem.

I play Pokémon Blue on cartridge (not that emulator-rom thing, I can't play Pokémon on PC, it's better with a console) with a standard GBA (the one which you fight against sun in order to see something on the screen, y'see). I try to encounter Missingno because I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ONLY ONE THUNDERBOLT TM.
I don't want to capture him, I just want to see him, just for the 128-units-sixth-item thing.

Well then let me tell you my story.

I go to Viridian City and I let the old man showing me how to catch an useless Weedle. Then, I fly to Cinnabar Island. And I explore the east coast.
I encounter some lvl 132 Mewtwo and other low-levelled Pokémon (Vulpix, Sandslash, Slowpoke, and other I can't remember). Sometimes I find Missingno… Or not.
Because after the epileptic effet (the one who appears when a fight begins), the game freezes. The screen is all black or all white, but I can't do anything.

Some info you will need :
My name in the game is RED (fucking classic, you'd think) and the Old Man Name Generator says I can find lvl 132 Mewtwo (yes) and some Missingno.
It seems that the game saves just between the encounter and the freeze (it is indicated when I play Pokémon Blue on Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, on N64) ;
The sixth item in the bag isn't at 128 units but still 1 ;
The Hall of Fame, however, is glitched, proof that the Pokémon was indeed Missingno ;
My Pokémon Blue is a PAL game ;
I tried to encounter Missingno with the Ditto Glitch, thanks to Pokémon with a Special stat of 31 ans 32, the same thing appears ;
I like pasta ;

I will be very thankful if someone knows the reason of my problem.

Re: I think Missingno is ignoring me ;___;

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-03-20 09:54:33

Well then I have a problem.

I play Pokémon Blue on cartridge (not that emulator-rom thing, I can't play Pokémon on PC, it's better with a console) with a standard GBA (the one which you fight against sun in order to see something on the screen, y'see). I try to encounter Missingno because I DON'T WANT TO HAVE ONLY ONE THUNDERBOLT TM.
I don't want to capture him, I just want to see him, just for the 128-units-sixth-item thing.

Well then let me tell you my story.

I go to Viridian City and I let the old man showing me how to catch an useless Weedle. Then, I fly to Cinnabar Island. And I explore the east coast.
I encounter some lvl 132 Mewtwo and other low-levelled Pokémon (Vulpix, Sandslash, Slowpoke, and other I can't remember). Sometimes I find Missingno… Or not.
Because after the epileptic effet (the one who appears when a fight begins), the game freezes. The screen is all black or all white, but I can't do anything.

Some info you will need :
(1)My name in the game is RED (fucking classic, you'd think) and the Old Man Name Generator says I can find lvl 132 Mewtwo (yes) and some Missingno.
(2)It seems that the game saves just between the encounter and the freeze (it is indicated when I play Pokémon Blue on Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2, on N64) ;
(3)The sixth item in the bag isn't at 128 units but still 1 ;
(4)The Hall of Fame, however, is glitched, proof that the Pokémon was indeed Missingno ;
(5)My Pokémon Blue is a PAL game ;
(6)I tried to encounter Missingno with the Ditto Glitch, thanks to Pokémon with a Special stat of 31 ans 32, the same thing appears ;
(7)I like pasta ;

I will be very thankful if someone knows the reason of my problem.

1) Yes, this is true
2) Your theory is also true, the game will save a chunk of data in the Hall of Fame, since this data is invalid the game will 'translate' the data to be about a Pokémon and hence cause the glitchy hall of fame. It doesn't save map data for instance though. As for the freeze, I'm not sure sorry about that do you have more information?
3) Missingno will usually add on 128 items if you run or defeat it (seen flag), but if you catch it it will add on 256 (captured flag)) after 255 items it loops back to 0 (256) and then 1 item maybe that was why?
4)Yes, but almost all glitch Pokémon (except some hybrid glitches) will glitch the Hall of Fame in Generation I, take that in mind.
5)Me too, but if anything only the variables of a few bytes are changed, I haven't experienced anything different from everybody else.
6)Again, this is odd.
7)Really?  :o

I've answered a few of your questions, sorry that I couldn't answer all of them though. Hope this helps.

Date: 2010-03-20 10:07:04
2) I'm afraid I haven't any more information. Now I know what the game is saving just before the freeze, that probably explains (4), thanks.
3) I don't think, because I can't capture him, I can't even see him thanks to the freeze.
6) Maybe if I try some other Special numbers ? The decimals of "normal-weird Pokémon", like the ghost or the Aerodactyl/Kabutops-fossil ? I'd like to try but it's pretty hard to have a Pokémon with a special around 180, my only Pokémon who can reach it is my Articuno lvl 53 (Mewtwo's special is too high) and I don't really want to waste too much time with levelling.
7) Fuck yeah.

Sadly it doesn't solve the problem but I now understand why the game saves just before the freeze, thanks again.

Date: 2010-03-20 10:16:15
You can also use a Special stat of 256 plus the original value i.e. 182 for (Kabutops Fossil), 183 for (Aerodactyl Fossil) and 184 for (Ghost) so perhaps if your Mewtwo is already around Level 90 to Level 100 you could try a special stat of either 438, 439 or 440.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-03-20 21:52:09
If your name is seven characters long, you will find 2 instances of 'M (one at level 0 and one at level 80), and no Missingno.

Date: 2010-03-21 10:24:23

If your name is seven characters long, you will find 2 instances of 'M (one at level 0 and one at level 80), and no Missingno.

His name was three characters long and he said that he thinks he did encounter Missingno. but the game crashed before he could even encounter it.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-03-21 10:38:58

His name was three characters long and he said that he thinks he did encounter Missingno. but the game crashed before he could even encounter it.

Actually, iirc, the base names (the ones you select rather than type out) are handled differently for the actual data held in them.

Date: 2010-03-21 10:45:00
Yes but it doesn't change the fact I've already encountered a glitch Pokémon. The proof is the Hall of Fame completely glitched.

You can also use a Special stat of 256 plus the original value i.e. 182 for (Kabutops Fossil), 183 for (Aerodactyl Fossil) and 184 for (Ghost) so perhaps if your Mewtwo is already around Level 90 to Level 100 you could try a special stat of either 438, 439 or 440.

Is it really possible ? The biglist is "looping" ? That's good to know, I suppose…
However my Mewtwo is only lvl 70 (I didn't touch him after the capture), so my Articuno with a special of ~15x will be good, after ten levels.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-03-22 20:10:42
Yes, it loops, as I found out by mistake.

I mean, who wouldn't go try a number like 673?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-03-24 12:13:59
Petit con: perhaps the sixth item quantity is <blank>1 ? go to toss the item and if you really only have 1 of the item it'll say 01, if it's  <blank>1 then just <blank>1 :)

Date: 2010-03-25 14:34:53
It is <blank>1, as for every item. Does it change something ?

By the way, I think I will level-up my Articuno in order to reach a special 182-184.

Date: 2010-03-26 13:13:18
<blank>1 == 101 of an item.

Date: 2010-03-26 17:14:31
No. It's the same for all my items, they all are in x units and not 10x units.

By the way I have now a Articuno with a special of 183 (and a Cloyster with a special of 108, I can have this damned Ekans, now). I'll check if a wild Aerodactyl fossil appears…

Edit : [img]http://www.plixup.com/pics_core/12696421059172Missingno.jpg[/img]

Date: 2010-03-27 05:18:50
you didn't say you were using French version.
Glitches are different in other language versions.
Perhaps MissingNo ('M HYBRID) and therefore 'M freeze on encounter on French version.

Date: 2010-03-27 05:44:28
I said I was using a PAL version but indeed there are maybe differences between languages, I apoligize.