Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Odd Audio Glitches - Page 1

Odd Audio Glitches

Posted by: Firemonkey1
Date: 2010-06-18 21:57:47
While encountering various "M blocks" inside of my Pokemon Blue Version to alter and observe my Hall of Fame data (I just did defeat the Elite Four yesterday!), I stumbled upon various audio glitches, which should be familiar to possibly every member present here. One segment of audio particularly interested me, a speed-decreased version of Cinnabar Island's theme. What was interesting about this is the fact that the sound and pitch of the composition sounded quite precise to the Gold and Silver versions of it. Unfortunately, I am incapable of posting the composition here, despite me filming it.
Have you ever before heard anything peculiar from the Hall of Fame glitch? I wonder if it is possible to encounter any beta songs from it, such as the Japanese Red and Green version of Lavender Town (link to original town theme, just for relevance; alternate tone can be heard:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14Hj4L64ts?
Also, could someone possibly illuminate this concept for me on how it functions?

Re: Odd Audio Glitches

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-06-19 09:46:00
These are known, and are actually the cries of some glitch Pokémon. In fact, these can be heard using a "music modifier code" on the wiki that actually only causes a cry to play, and certain hexes cause those songs to appear.
Also, I'm surprised I never knew of the beta Lavender Town theme. I should try and find out more about it.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-06-19 09:58:55

These are known, and are actually the cries of some glitch Pokémon. In fact, these can be heard using a "music modifier code" on the wiki that actually only causes a cry to play, and certain hexes cause those songs to appear.
Also, I'm surprised I never knew of the beta Lavender Town theme. I should try and find out more about it.

I've heard of it before, but never really researched it until recently. It turns out that an alternate version of Lavender Town tune does indeed exist within version 1.0 of Pokémon Red and Green and was actually used in game. In later versions though, the song was redone because of a few high pitched notes which generally, often only younger players can hear. So theoretically, it was removed to prevent any mild side effects associated with the high pitched notes such as nausea. I'm quite surprised that nothing stops the GameBoy playing such notes, I'm 17 so I don't know if I can verify this now, but I recall some of the  'glitch tracks' on Pokémon Gold and Silver playing something similar.

There has also been a rather obscure rumour linking this older version of the track with Japanese children committing suicide because of the high pitched notes, but these rumours seem particularly unreliable. http://teamuber.net/forum/showthread.php?&t=7992

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-06-19 10:08:39

I've heard of it before, but never really researched it until recently. It turns out that an alternate version of Lavender Town tune does indeed exist within version 1.0 of Pokémon Red and Green and was actually used in game. In later versions though, the song was redone because of a few high pitched notes which generally, often only younger players can hear. So theoretically, it was removed to prevent any mild side effects associated with the high pitched notes such as nausea. I'm quite surprised that nothing stops the GameBoy playing such notes, I'm 17 so I don't know if I can verify this now, but I recall some of the  'glitch tracks' on Pokémon Gold and Silver playing something similar.

There has also been a rather obscure rumour linking this older version of the track with Japanese children committing suicide because of the high pitched notes, but these rumours seem particularly unreliable. http://teamuber.net/forum/showthread.php?&t=7992
Sounds like sufficient material for a wiki article to me.