Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

In Search of a Glitch lost to time! - Page 1

In Search of a Glitch lost to time!

Posted by: Sophia Omiya
Date: 2010-09-29 04:15:26
Ages ago, when the internet was still new, and Pokemon was still all the rage… There were many myth type glitches. We all remember the infamous Pikablue glitch involving the Power Plant, or the Pokemon City that was past the Elite Four (though, the actual origin of that one is legit, involving discarded town data, as seen with the extra pallet town on the world map with that specific glitch triggered). We all wanted to believe… but so many of these were obvious hoaxes. Despite that, we tried a few… The one I'm seeking is one that I remember actually working.

There was once a glitch for accessing some kind of Phantom Cinnabar Island. It involved a complicated sequence of events, and in some versions, use of the RIVAL (an item that works as a debug tool to cross one solid tile). I've been unable to find any mention of this glitch anywhere… and I was wondering if someone still remembered how to do it. Since… I did some variation on it at one point, but wrong in some sequence and instead ended up with a Phantom Fuschia City. Now, I'm fairly certain this is unrelated to Glitch City, since the locations were actual clones of the real locations, just all the warps would be deactivated, NPCs that did spawn would say lines from other NPCs and there would usually be a solid barrier blocking paths that would normally lead out of the area. That and I successfully duplicated this on at least 30 occasions. For the Fuschia variant, that is. I never did get the Cinnabar version to work. But.. Just having the sequence for the Cinnabar version could likely enable me to successfully pull this off again.

So, might anyone remember anything about this?

In return… I leave to you an odd glitch that I used rather regularly to get absurd amounts of HP. 65535, I believe. Keep in mind that the following glitch was most likely specific to a certain box, and I deleted the file I did this one at least 5 years ago. So, without further ado. With my name as ASH, I triggered missingno. expecting a hoax, and was surprised when I met the real thing. And I ended up with 128 master balls, and I replicated this effect further for Rare Candies. Now, eventually I ran into a level 146 Snorlax, and seeing its level captured it. I used rare candies to get it to level 255… Then I put it in the PC. When I went to retrieve it later, an odd thing caught my eye. It was level 146 again. But… What had been its Max HP at level 255 was now its current HP at 146, higher than its max. Curious, I went to level it to 255 again, with each level further increasing that current HP. And I deposited it once more, with the same effect. I rinsed and repeated until I had so much  HP that it eventually went to 0. If someone could verify the specific requirements for this, then I guess we'd have another cool glitch to have an article about.

Re: In Search of a Glitch lost to time!

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-09-29 10:12:41
So you looped 255 back around to 0.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-09-29 10:18:45
Welcome to Glitch City Laboratories, hope you enjoy your stay here.

Ages ago, when the internet was still new, and Pokemon was still all the rage… There were many myth type glitches. We all remember the infamous Pikablue glitch involving the Power Plant, or the Pokemon City that was past the Elite Four (though, the actual origin of that one is legit, involving discarded town data, as seen with the extra pallet town on the world map with that specific glitch triggered).

Yes, there is a 12th "town" (as its identifier suggests) or rather 13th location with its own (unused) fly flag and its map and header data is completely formatted, so the game maps it on the town map with co-ordinates (0,0) and the name "PALLET TOWN" (the first defined map header) making it appear north of the Pokémon League. I'm not exactly sure whether the extra town or "Cloud City" rumours were inspired by the blank formatted location data because cheating and RAM hacking were far less common just after Red/Green's release, so in order to see the 'extra town' somebody  probably would have to have been very lucky with "super glitch" like effects.

There was once a glitch for accessing some kind of Phantom Cinnabar Island. It involved a complicated sequence of events, and in some versions, use of the RIVAL (an item that works as a debug tool to cross one solid tile). I've been unable to find any mention of this glitch anywhere… and I was wondering if someone still remembered how to do it.

Sounds like a save corruption exploit to give you a wrongly terminated item list; so by tossing or shifting items past your valid acquired items, you are actually changing the values of up to 255 RAM addresses. One member, "gia" IIRC applied this so that he could change the current map number to 118 (which would be denoted as glitch symbol8) this is identifier 76 (in other words the Hall of Fame), so essentially you can complete the game with practice in under five minutes.

Now, I'm fairly certain this is unrelated to Glitch City, since the locations were actual clones of the real locations, just all the warps would be deactivated, NPCs that did spawn would say lines from other NPCs and there would usually be a solid barrier blocking paths that would normally lead out of the area. That and I successfully duplicated this on at least 30 occasions. For the Fuschia variant, that is. I never did get the Cinnabar version to work. But.. Just having the sequence for the Cinnabar version could likely enable me to successfully pull this off again.

This is what happens if you warp directly from one town/city to another without entering from a route/out of a building. You can easily replicate this by activating 01XX5ED3 (with values 00-0A) when warping from any other town/city.

In return… I leave to you an odd glitch that I used rather regularly to get absurd amounts of HP. 65535, I believe. Keep in mind that the following glitch was most likely specific to a certain box, and I deleted the file I did this one at least 5 years ago. So, without further ado. With my name as ASH, I triggered missingno. expecting a hoax, and was surprised when I met the real thing. And I ended up with 128 master balls, and I replicated this effect further for Rare Candies. Now, eventually I ran into a level 146 Snorlax, and seeing its level captured it. I used rare candies to get it to level 255… Then I put it in the PC. When I went to retrieve it later, an odd thing caught my eye. It was level 146 again. But… What had been its Max HP at level 255 was now its current HP at 146, higher than its max. Curious, I went to level it to 255 again, with each level further increasing that current HP. And I deposited it once more, with the same effect. I rinsed and repeated until I had so much  HP that it eventually went to 0. If someone could verify the specific requirements for this, then I guess we'd have another cool glitch to have an article about.

This is to do with current level algorithms, like when you finish a battle the game is constantly checking what level your Pokémon should be depending on its experience. There are no valid experience ranges for levels 101-255 but level 100 might be say 1000000+ so if you caught a Pokémon over level 100 (where due to the experience algorithm its total experience would be higher than 1000000/etc), battle with the said Pokémon and finished the battle the game depletes it back to level 100. As for withdrawing a Pokémon from the box, I think it resets the Pokémon back to its previous level when caught/end of last battle if its total experience doesn't match the experience range. i.e. generated experience for tentative 'Level 255', the game checks the experience range and finds it matches for level 100 (e.g. 1000000+) so sets it back to the previous level i.e. level 140.

We have something similar for how some (slow growing) level 1 Pokémon will skip to level 100 if they gain a small amount of experience due to a faulty level algorithm (our Ditto Trick page makes mention of it if you don't know) although we don't mention any other level 100+ Pokémon tricks like yours on our wiki yet, so feel free to add it  :). As for the requirements, you wouldn't need anything more than lots of Rare Candies and a level 100+ Pokémon already acquired via the Old Man Trick.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-09-29 22:31:09

Now, eventually I ran into a level 146 Snorlax, and seeing its level captured it. I used rare candies to get it to level 255… Then I put it in the PC. When I went to retrieve it later, an odd thing caught my eye. It was level 146 again. But… What had been its Max HP at level 255 was now its current HP at 146, higher than its max. Curious, I went to level it to 255 again, with each level further increasing that current HP. And I deposited it once more, with the same effect. I rinsed and repeated until I had so much  HP that it eventually went to 0. If someone could verify the specific requirements for this, then I guess we'd have another cool glitch to have an article about.

I had this exact same thing happen to me a long time ago, I caught a Pidgeot (level 132), rare candy to level 255, boxed, withdrew a little while later and it was back to that level (give or take one level). Of course it still had the raised hp but the lower level. Therefore because it had over 100% of its hp the bar was massive. Didn't think anything of it though.

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2010-09-30 23:36:05
I've done something like that, it wasn't complex though.

I used a wtw code/manipulated the game sometimes, to allow a wtw effect, went through viridian to the phantom pallet town, but just enough so I was still in the grasses where you can see the real pallet town.

Go down to Cinnebar, and then do not go toward it, go the opposite, and you should find a phantom cinnebar.

But that's the easy way, I donno about the more complex route.
Sorry.

Date: 2010-10-01 07:22:53

This is what happens if you warp directly from one town/city to another without entering from a route/out of a building. You can easily replicate this by activating 01XX5ED3 (with values 00-0A) when warping from any other town/city.

Hm. I'll have to try this. Naturally I wasn't using warp codes myself while trying this, but yeah. I'll give it a go. Thanks.

I've done something like that, it wasn't complex though.

I used a wtw code/manipulated the game sometimes, to allow a wtw effect, went through viridian to the phantom pallet town, but just enough so I was still in the grasses where you can see the real pallet town.

Go down to Cinnebar, and then do not go toward it, go the opposite, and you should find a phantom cinnebar.

But that's the easy way, I donno about the more complex route.
Sorry.

No, that's plenty helpful enough. I always knew that this town duplication involved walking through thing, hence the RIVAL requirement. Armed that knowledge, I should be able to recreate these phantom towns. Thanks!

Anyways, thanks for the input, guys. I'll see about making a Post-Level 100 Tricks article for the Wiki.

Date: 2010-10-01 13:17:04
I'm glad that I was of help.

The problem though is the Rival item only allows walking through one space, whereas, you need a bit more in order to accurately get to the phantom cinnebar via the method I described, because the warp tiles are gone, but all of the blocker/surf tiles are still there.

Also if you go below the real cinnabar, in the JP version, you get warped to a glitch city thats a bit below Saffron, but in between Fuscia.
However, its all locked, even with wtw, unless you go there yourself sans warp tiles.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-01 14:52:09

No, that's plenty helpful enough. I always knew that this town duplication involved walking through thing, hence the RIVAL requirement. Armed that knowledge, I should be able to recreate these phantom towns. Thanks!

Anyways, thanks for the input, guys. I'll see about making a Post-Level 100 Tricks article for the Wiki.

I'd like to add for reference that the RIVAL's item (hexadecimal identifier of A2: 162) along with others with the same effects such as "NAME?" and "NICKNAME?" only exist within Pokémon Red and Blue because in the case of Pokémon Yellow for example; one of the equivalent glitch items (for RIVAL's" is "2 u 4 || #s G G" which has a different effect and most commonly freezes the game.

If you haven't already, I recommend forcing the RIVAL's item via a cheating device such as the GameShark because there is no confirmed method of 'obtaining it' as such.

Hope this helps.

Date: 2010-10-01 16:10:09
Actually, I've obtained it without cheat codes other than WTW(though that kinda makes the item a moot point lol), via rearranging the pokemon in the Alteran Archives (if anyone has a problem with the name let me know, or if you have a better name let me know that too…)

I think I've got a video of it too, I'll try to find it…

EDIT: I've confirmed "NICKNAME?'s" existence in a video of mine, as well as GARY, JOHN, JACK, RED and BLUE
And a "NEW NAME"

Apparently its not in any of my video's but I KNOW I've gotten it before…

Date: 2010-10-01 18:26:17

I'd like to add for reference that the RIVAL's item (hexadecimal identifier of A2: 162) along with others with the same effects such as "NAME?" and "NICKNAME?" only exist within Pokémon Red and Blue because in the case of Pokémon Yellow for example; one of the equivalent glitch items (for RIVAL's" is "2 u 4 || #s G G" which has a different effect and most commonly freezes the game.

If you haven't already, I recommend forcing the RIVAL's item via a cheating device such as the GameShark because there is no confirmed method of 'obtaining it' as such.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, it does. I had long sense booted up the emulator, since I'm not risking either of my carts, despite having a working Gameshark. With that hex, I can get to work.

Actually, I've obtained it without cheat codes other than WTW(though that kinda makes the item a moot point lol), via rearranging the pokemon in the Alteran Archives (if anyone has a problem with the name let me know, or if you have a better name let me know that too…)

I think I've got a video of it too, I'll try to find it…

EDIT: I've confirmed "NICKNAME?'s" existence in a video of mine, as well as GARY, JOHN, JACK, RED and BLUE
And a "NEW NAME"

Apparently its not in any of my video's but I KNOW I've gotten it before…

Checking your Youtube, I've found a quite a bit of interesting stuff there I'd like to try. =3

Date: 2010-10-01 19:52:46
Be careful when doing the glitches, and keep many save state copies if needed.
I'm glad you like them :)

Date: 2010-10-01 22:20:13

Be careful when doing the glitches, and keep many save state copies if needed.
I'm glad you like them :)

While watching your Forest of Missingno. video, I observed behavior similar to the Phantom Cities… So, based on that, I think I might able to find some new areas like it. I also duplicated your result, albeit a bit more drastically. Heading north results in your video… And a minor Phantom City effect, albeit reset easily. Heading south produces a heavy Glitch City. This warrants further research!

Date: 2010-10-01 22:38:34
The heavy glitch city is nothing new IMO, but it is interesting.
I'm finding alot of them with the Alteran Archive in the JP version of Pokemon Red.

I'm glad that my videos were of help :)

EDIT: Also looking back on the first post of the thread, Glitch city and the phantom towns actually are linked in a sense.
Provided that they are whole, or even in part, glitch city and the phantom towns are actually related, because they are found in the same way and really do resemble one another in some aspects

The difference is that sometimes glitch city is in somewhere because there is no data except garbled data, and sometimes there's still town data there.

At least that's my take, I don't rom hex hack, or use cheat codes sans wtw anymore, nor do I know most terms used for this stuff lol

EDIT2: Also again looking back, the 63533 HP thing sounds alot like the effects that are given via Charizard M', Clefairy M', or Scyther M', not sure about golem M', or NidoKing M' yet though…they seem normal aside from freezing the game once beaten or even making a move respectively, or their Trainer…