Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Japanese Pokemon Red? - Page 1

Japanese Pokemon Red?

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2010-10-01 03:13:11
This may be a stupid question, but has anyone ever "researched" the Japanese version of Pokemon red?

Lately I have been and I unlocked the "Alteran archive" from one of my youtube videos.
(that BIG list of "buffer overflow" glitch pokemon)

I have no doubt that there may be some interesting things that can't be done in the American Red, even with Codes, or hacks, as they may have just been outright removed, I donno for sure.

Like an item, that as far as I can tell, deletes a pokemon move outright, rather than having to go to the lavander move deleter(Sorry, it was the fuscia move deleter, the lavander town had the renamer), but even though I looked in the database, I've never heard of that item.

My questions are basically:
1: has anyone done this type of thing before with the JP version?
and 2: would anyone be interested in what is found, or anything to do with it?

I'll probably upload them to Youtube anyway though.

I apologize if this is not something that contributes to the forum/wiki.

Re: Japanese Pokemon Red?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-10-01 19:45:04
I heard that there are other select bugs similar to the dokokashira door glitch, but I don't know anything about them.

Get Torchickens in here….  ;)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-10-02 03:03:41
I was looking at that japanese site about select bugs and I found:
There is a select bug allowing you to fight Prof.Oak
There is a select bug that eventually triggers ZZAZZ
I looked at it for a while, but they are the only two i remember.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-02 18:47:02
I had a search through several select bugs via this website: [http://g-modoki.s59.xrea.com/x/Pokemon/] back in April, although I have only recently got round to trying them. The nature of these glitches seem very arbitrary and interestingly, it is impossible to replicate the dokokashira door glitch via several emulators, such as earlier versions of VisualBoyAdvance. However, I did manage to successfully exploit the glitch via bgb and after some original research had a look at the amount of steps which would take you to a certain area from a relative starting point and figured that since the target map identifier decreased every four steps, I could control where the warps would take me. (You may have seen my theoretical step guide from July, this was before successfully exploiting the glitch and to a certain extent it is accurate, although large step numbers tend to take you back where you entered from and remove the capability to warp).

There are three unused map locations in Generation I and I've managed to work out two of their routes and verify one route via video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uia4yd_xnFM] (an alternative Route 6 Underground Path entrance which plays the Vermillion City theme), which I have added to our wiki article here http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Alternative_map_locations_%28Generation_I%29. I'll try and get by to verifying my other route for the alternative burgled team rocket house (176 steps from Department Store taking the Pokémon Center) by the end of next week. I also got around to seeing if there are any Pokémon Green glitch maps which don't crash the game, although testing all of the invalid identifiers via a map number modifier code there weren't any :(, except one which was only visible for a split second.

I heard that there are other select bugs similar to the dokokashira door glitch, but I don't know anything about them.

Get Torchickens in here….  ;)

Yes, although I haven't got around to successfully exploiting any other select bugs yet. I attempted one of them; the "convert a fossil" or "fossil conversion" glitch, which allows you to change the fossil Pokémon in Cinnabar Lab to any Pokémon identifier by swapping the 12th or 13th PC item with the fifth Pokémon after handing over the fossil but the game would always either freeze when switching the fifth Pokémon, or there would be no notable effects at the end, depending on the emulator and the item identifiers. (On the site I mentioned above, it looks like they were swapping an Escape Rope, although that was one of the item identifiers which for me always froze the game).

Other mentioned select bugs include those like Wack0 mentioned as well as for example, a walk through walls exploit (which makes you float like you just jumped off a ledge), a select bug which allow you to manipulate one of your Pokémon's total exp to easily reach level 100 after a battle, and item mutation.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-10-03 00:32:05

I had a search through several select bugs via this website: [http://g-modoki.s59.xrea.com/x/Pokemon/] back in April, although I have only recently got round to trying them. The nature of these glitches seem very arbitrary and interestingly, it is impossible to replicate the dokokashira door glitch via several emulators, such as VisualBoyAdvance.

Ahh, that explains why my Pokémon was just turning into a Charizard 'M when I tried to do it using VBA… do we know why this happens? (Unfortunately in this instance Charizard 'M SUXXORX.)

Date: 2010-10-03 00:54:46
Well, it appears that I got it to work in some way via TGB-Dual, but its in my "stargate city gym" video on youtube, but I could be wrong, as thats a stationary entrance, and if I recall correctly, the Doka Kashira Door glitch can be done through any door, but it does seem to change every 4 steps as well…

But then I got it to work via rearranging the Ancient/Alteran Archive….

EDIT: Alot of the time, it seems to lead me to the outside of the "unknown dungeon" and just my luck, the guy is guarding it, so I have to activate WTW, or load my state…

Also it appears as though the 4 step activator is reset every time I leave a building…Unfortunately, the freeze tiles are also reset too, for every time I enter the gym.

EDIT2: I realized something.
what else happens every four steps?
The poison goes off.
Maybe there's a link somehow?

Am I legally allowed to share my savestate?
I'd be willing to, but only if its legal, but I don't know if it is due to legally being game components?
(also it is of the JP version, of course since this is a variation of the Doka kaShira door glitch)

I also made a list of up to 128 steps in the Stargate city Gym locations.

1-4 steps= Cerulean Gym.
5-8 steps= Cerulean Pokemon Center.
9-12= Old couples house in Cerulean
13-16= Broken into House
17-20= room in cave between Pewter and Cerulean.
21-24= top of ladder from 1st to second floor in MT.Moon
25-28= entrance of MT.Moon
29-32= pokemon center for MT.Moon, but leaves you stranded at Cerulean Cave with guard in front.
33-36= house in pewter with man and son? tends to leave you outside the cerulean shop handily enough…
37-40= Pewter shop, leaves you at the door to the bike shop.
41-44= Pewter House with daughter asking for a pikachu?
45-48= Pewter city Gym. drops you off at the pokemon center in cerulean.
49-52= rocket museum upstairs. (yay free museum ticket) tends to leave you at the door to the robbed house.
53-56= front inside door to museum in pewter. drops you off at the robbed couples house.
57-60= exit to Veridian Forest while still inside it. Go toward pewter and you'll end up at the Cerulean couples house again.
61-64= one space left of the entrance to the checkpoint house right before the entrance to the viridian Forest, leave toward Viridian to go back to Cerulean's shop entrance.
65-68= The same house you were in a second ago? top exit leaves you right at the same place you entered from, the Cerulean Gym.
69-72= house with scientist and baby playing gameboy in viridian, leaves you at the cerulean pokemon center.
73-76= Viridan house checkpoint again? leaves you at the couples house again.
77-80= entrance to digletts cave
81-84= Viridian Gym.leaves you at the bike shop.
85-88= Viridian house. leaves you at Cerulean Gym again.
89-92= teacher and students house in Viridian. leaves you in pokemon center in Cerulean's entrance.
93-96= Viridian Shop, leaves you at the couples house.
97-100= Viridian Pokemon Center.
100-104= Professor oaks lab leaves you at pokemon center in Cerulean.
105-108= Gary's house.
109-112= Gary's house again?
113-116= Ash/Red's upstairs?
117-120= Ash/red's downstairs
121-124= Bills house reef.
125-128= spot beside river bridge outside Cerulean.

Date: 2010-10-03 05:36:01

I had a search through several select bugs via this website: [http://g-modoki.s59.xrea.com/x/Pokemon/] back in April, although I have only recently got round to trying them. The nature of these glitches seem very arbitrary and interestingly, it is impossible to replicate the dokokashira door glitch via several emulators, such as VisualBoyAdvance.

Ahh, that explains why my Pokémon was just turning into a Charizard 'M when I tried to do it using VBA… do we know why this happens? (Unfortunately in this instance Charizard 'M SUXXORX.)

VisualBoyAdvance will not allow direct modification of the next warp location for some reason, even via the warp code address 0xD2DD by itself. It's normal for your first Pokémon to turn into a Charizard 'M, although I don't know why exactly a Charizard 'M "comes out" but if you take a look at the Pokémon you don't have, like your seventh+ party Pokémon these are often Charizard 'M. At least one of the later chosen invalidly terminated Pokémon will have associated 'pointers' which display item data and a little more forced into a Pokémon template.

The poison goes off.

Yes, that's what I was thinking about, that maybe one of your "Pokémon" is forced to have a current HP byte corresponding to the next map location and in this forced Pokémon template close-by data denotes it as poisoned, so essentially the next map I.D decreases by one every four steps (with the values noted in my AreaDex this seems to match up). In Pokémon Red and Green does the screen flash for poisoned Pokémon? There are other 'Pokémon' with low HP which will often faint due to poison after walking a large amount of steps although these would only slightly affect the music and graphics. I did however, once walk around 500 steps or so and the warp took me to Pallet Town (I.D 00) probably suggesting that the Pokémon with HP denoting the next map had fainted.

Well, it appears that I got it to work in some way via TGB-Dual, but its in my "stargate city gym" video on youtube, but I could be wrong, as thats a stationary entrance, and if I recall correctly, the Doka Kashira Door glitch can be done through any door, but it does seem to change every 4 steps as well…

But then I got it to work via rearranging the Ancient/Alteran Archive….

EDIT: Alot of the time, it seems to lead me to the outside of the "unknown dungeon" and just my luck, the guy is guarding it, so I have to activate WTW, or load my state…

Also it appears as though the 4 step activator is reset every time I leave a building…Unfortunately, the freeze tiles are also reset too, for every time I enter the gym.

The poison goes off.

I'd be willing to, but only if its legal, but I don't know if it is due to legally being game components?
(also it is of the JP version, of course since this is a variation of the Doka kaShira door glitch)

I also made a list of up to 128 steps in the Stargate city Gym locations.

1-4 steps= Cerulean Gym.
5-8 steps= Cerulean Pokemon Center.
9-12= Old couples house in Cerulean
13-16= Broken into House
17-20= room in cave between Pewter and Cerulean.
21-24= top of ladder from 1st to second floor in MT.Moon
25-28= entrance of MT.Moon
29-32= pokemon center for MT.Moon, but leaves you stranded at Cerulean Cave with guard in front.
33-36= house in pewter with man and son? tends to leave you outside the cerulean shop handily enough…
37-40= Pewter shop, leaves you at the door to the bike shop.
41-44= Pewter House with daughter asking for a pikachu?
45-48= Pewter city Gym. drops you off at the pokemon center in cerulean.
49-52= rocket museum upstairs. (yay free museum ticket) tends to leave you at the door to the robbed house.
53-56= front inside door to museum in pewter. drops you off at the robbed couples house.
57-60= exit to Veridian Forest while still inside it. Go toward pewter and you'll end up at the Cerulean couples house again.
61-64= one space left of the entrance to the checkpoint house right before the entrance to the viridian Forest, leave toward Viridian to go back to Cerulean's shop entrance.
65-68= The same house you were in a second ago? top exit leaves you right at the same place you entered from, the Cerulean Gym.
69-72= house with scientist and baby playing gameboy in viridian, leaves you at the cerulean pokemon center.
73-76= Viridan house checkpoint again? leaves you at the couples house again.
77-80= entrance to digletts cave
81-84= Viridian Gym.leaves you at the bike shop.
85-88= Viridian house. leaves you at Cerulean Gym again.
89-92= teacher and students house in Viridian. leaves you in pokemon center in Cerulean's entrance.
93-96= Viridian Shop, leaves you at the couples house.
97-100= Viridian Pokemon Center.
100-104= Professor oaks lab leaves you at pokemon center in Cerulean.
105-108= Gary's house.
109-112= Gary's house again?
113-116= Ash/Red's upstairs?
117-120= Ash/red's downstairs
121-124= Bills house reef.
125-128= spot beside river bridge outside Cerulean.

The stored map starts as a constant, depending on how you triggered the glitch and perhaps your current map location (explaining why 83 steps from Route 1 takes you to Route 7) and starts decreasing every four steps from there but for certain buildings like Pokémon Centers it is set back to another constant and the warp is 'reserved' for normal buildings. (I could verify this by walking about twenty extra steps in Celadon and back into the Pokémon Center used for the Lance's Room warp, back out and into the Celadon Department Store. I was still warped to Lance's Room with and without the twenty extra steps.) Contrary to some videos, the Celadon Condominiums is a nice alternative to the Pokémon Center, you will be warped directly to the Hall of Fame room rather than Lance's Room, saving a few seconds.

I'm not entirely sure, save files I'd presume yes, with the legality of some cheating devices which allow the player to download saves. Savestates probably aren't legal for distribution.

Date: 2010-10-03 13:25:34
Yes, the poison does flash on the JP Red at least, and the thing with the Stargate City Gym is, that its actually taking me to places that have nothing to do with entrances, the Pallet area could be considered to be an entrance of sorts, but its taking me to places like 10 steps below Bills house's door, in the river and if I go up, the game freezes the emulator which freezes my mouse for about 10 seconds…

The poisoned pokemon's HP corresponding with the next map theory is a pretty good idea, which makes a bit of sense.

too bad about the savestates distribution….
I imagine there are alot of other people who would know what they're doing better than I do with the Ancient/Alteran Archive…

The more I think about it the less random this seems to be….But chances are that Gamefreak wouldn't do that type of thing…

The question is, how can the map destinaton change, if the poison still grows closer to making the pokemon faint at the same rate?

Also, apparently you can avoid the faint by walking through a warp right as the poisoned pokemon would faint, as it appears that in the English version a text message is more important than a warp, but in the JP version, its the reverse, so the poison still takes effect, however I haven't done significant research on that so I could be wrong.

The Stargate city gym, or something along the way also makes it so I can't leave and reenter Cerulean City via the first entrance.

If true, the poison interfacing with maps, makes sense, and answers a few questions even for the US Pokemon Red.

Date: 2010-10-03 14:34:21

Yes, the poison does flash on the JP Red at least, and the thing with the Stargate City Gym is, that its actually taking me to places that have nothing to do with entrances, the Pallet area could be considered to be an entrance of sorts, but its taking me to places like 10 steps below Bills house's door, in the river and if I go up, the game freezes the emulator which freezes my mouse for about 10 seconds…

The co-ordinates depend on the direction you entered from, bar 'south carpet exits', although most routes, only have one or two defined entrances. In your case, strangely the defined '1 step outside of Bill's House' function is only loaded correctly when entering from the left or right (e.g. ladders), whilst the north and south entrances have invalid co-ordinates (e.g. in the river) like you mentioned. In the case of 'south carpet exits' they tend to load pre-defined data (different for each map they are placed in) for the last map location, I think this is why in the Glitch City trick you get 'Glitch Citys' by walking through the Safari Zone gate south carpet exit, because the associated data was only meant to be read for Fuschia City, whilst the last map location you visited was different.

The question is, how can the map destinaton change, if the poison still grows closer to making the pokemon faint at the same rate?

If there is only one poisoned Pokémon that matters, because other poisoned Pokémon sometimes faint but only changing minor things like the sound or graphics, which is interesting because the screen never flashes.

Also, apparently you can avoid the faint by walking through a warp right as the poisoned pokemon would faint, as it appears that in the English version a text message is more important than a warp, but in the JP version, its the reverse, so the poison still takes effect, however I haven't done significant research on that so I could be wrong.

That's interesting if its true, although for certain entrances which don't warp the player to the 'wrong location' (e.g. your house, Route 1, Oak's Lab, Pokémon Centres) where you (would) get warped if you entered an entrance with warp location affected by the glitch gets reset to a constant and depletes every four steps as normal, resetting to that constant if you enter a 'non-warpable' entrance again.

(Sorry if I'm being a bit unclear, its getting a little difficult to explain)

Date: 2010-10-03 15:00:26
Yes, its true, but its only temporary, also, it seems to come back and the poison seems to be reset as well with the reset of the coordinates.

There are two places that are completely locked out to me atm, Cinnabar (missingno's haven is safe lol) and Cerulean when entered from the Left Entrance.

And the "stargate city Gym" doesn't seem to change depending on your entrance direction oddly…

Posted by: Darkness_LordII
Date: 2010-10-27 13:46:42
Do those glitch work on the Japanese Green or it is exclusive to the redone jap Pokemon red?

I have an original japanese pokémon green for the game boy, I could try to test them (Althought I have not alot of time this week, I could still try)

Date: 2010-10-27 14:39:18

Do those glitch work on the Japanese Green or it is exclusive to the redone jap Pokemon red?

I have an original japanese pokémon green for the game boy, I could try to test them (Althought I have not alot of time this week, I could still try)

Most of the select bugs, I'd imagine would work on both versions; Red and Green. Though apparently the dokokashira door glitch does not work on Japanese Red; only early versions of Japanese Green, I'll have to test that if I get the chance to.

The Japanese Pokémon Red is not much different to the Japanese Green, similar to our Red and Blue. The game engine was only updated after the release of Japanese Blue (and newer localizations, built on the newer game engine from Japanese Blue) – the versions where no select bugs work at all. One important change in the newer game engine was that the "select button is held down" flag is now disabled whenever the menu is closed, preventing you from "switching items with Pokémon".

Posted by: Darkness_LordII
Date: 2010-10-27 17:21:16
I could test it for you on my JAP pokémon green to see if the glitch work or if I have a later version of that game. Just tell me the step (or a link that explain it). Its kind of a interesing glitch, specially by finding those new area

Date: 2010-10-28 00:06:16
If you're interested in doing these, there is a full tutorial somewhere in my youtube video's.

I figured that I should include how they are done, or else I'll be convicted of using gameshark codes or something.

Considering that the ancient archive works on the English pokemon Red, it should work on Green version, as the engines are loosely the same thing.
There are differences, however I am unsure of what those are, so I could be completely off base.

Though, if the Dokokashira Door Glitch does not work in Japanese Red, then what is the Stargate city gym?
Same thing, different method, as its done with HP, not spacial bits?

Date: 2010-10-28 08:03:32

I could test it for you on my JAP pokémon green to see if the glitch work or if I have a later version of that game. Just tell me the step (or a link that explain it). Its kind of a interesing glitch, specially by finding those new area

The 'original method' was actually the one which was mentioned on Japanese Green first and it's actually pretty simple.

I've tested the glitch on Japanese Green before and managed to get it to work, though I haven't tested it on Japanese Pokémon Red yet.

Basically:

*Open menu and select Oak's Parcel (as the second item).
*Press Select and cancel via B,B.
*Enter a battle
*Open the Pokémon menu and press A on your first Pokémon to 'replace it with Oak's Parcel'.
*Open the FIGHT menu and exit (prevents game considering you have no Pokémon when you run)
*Walk x steps to a 'warpable entrance'.

I figured out an equation to calculate the route/amount of steps you need to get somewhere. (see here if you're interested: http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Dokokashira_door_glitch#Related_mechanics_and_route_calculation)