Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

How to calculate dokokashira door glitch steps. - Page 1

How to calculate dokokashira door glitch steps.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-03 11:17:31
After trying the glitch, I've found that not only does the next warp identifier deplete by 1 every four steps but it starts at a constant, depending on the current map location.

Let's take for example, Pallet Town:
You can reset the identifier back to its constant and warp in as little as 9 steps. This warp location according to address D2DD is (0x25) and corresponds to your house. So if you travelled 13 steps you would be travelling to (0x24): Route 25, and if you travelled 17 steps you would be travelling to (0x23): Route 24.

By following the identifiers back you can work out the constant. 1 step denotes (0x27): Rival's House but if we presume that the "your house" warp is 8-11 steps then theoretically warping without taking any steps in Pallet Town would take you to (0x27), so the constant in decimal is 39. 

You can reset the warp identifier back to the constant by stepping in and out of "non-warpable" entrances. In Pallet Town, these are your house, the start of Route 1 and Professor Oak's Lab.

From these, you can make the equation:
Warp I.D= Floor: k-(steps/4)

Where k is the warp constant and warp I.D is the map identifier in decimal (see here: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,5952.0.html).

This equation doesn't work for large amounts of steps, (where the warp I.D. falls below 0) and I think once the warp I.D reaches zero it no longer falls any more although the equation should work as long as you know what the warp constant is.

Warp constants:
I haven't found what determines the warp constant yet (definitely isn't the same as the map I.D), although here are a few:

Pallet Town - (0x27): 39; reset via your house, start of Route 1, Professor Oak's Lab.
Celadon City - (0x7A): 122 reset via Pokémon Center, Celadon Condominiums.
Cinnibar Island - (0xAB): 171 reset via Cinnibar Mansion, PokéMart.
Cinnibar Lab - (0xE5): 229 reset via laboratory rooms (untested)

Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 20:21 pm (added Cinnibar Island and Lab warp constants)

Re: How to calculate dokokashira door glitch steps.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-10-03 12:42:41
Great work on this so far, I hope to see more work on this glitch; it's more interesting then most unresearched glitches.

Re: How to calculate dokokashira door glitch steps.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-08 15:33:56

Great work on this so far, I hope to see more work on this glitch; it's more interesting then most unresearched glitches.

Thanks  :), I've planned and tested routes for each of the three unused 'alternative map locations' in Generation I. I added an article about them on our wiki, but if you don't already know, these are maps which essentially have the same design and map header of the final 'corresponding' version but with a different default soundtrack. For example, the alternative burgled Rocket house uses the "Mt. Moon" theme, whilst the final uses the normal "Cerulean" city theme.

These routes are as follows:

(The ones I found aren't the quickest routes, although they were the easiest I could calculate from the data I already found. I had a little trouble finding a large warp constant for map AD (173 - Alternative Cinnibar Mart) but eventually found a 'warp constant' of B7, set by walking to Route 16.

1) Alternative Route 6 Underground Path entrance:
(default Vermillion City music instead of Pewter City music) - Activate in Route 1 and travel 83~87 steps, landing the final step in your Rival's house. You will appear in Route 7. From Route 7, walk to either the Celadon City Pokémon Center, or the Celadon Condominiums building and immediately walk out (you don't need to worry about the number of steps actually getting to one of those buildings). Travel an additional ~188-191 steps, landing the final step in the right-most entrance of the Celadon Department Store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uia4yd_xnFM

2) Alternative house burgled by Team Rocket:
(default Mt. Moon music instead of Cerulean City music) - Activate in Route 1 and travel 83~87 steps, landing the final step in your Rival's House. You will appear in Route 7. From Route 7, walk to either the Celadon City Pokémon Center, or the Celadon Condominiums building and immediately walk out (you don't need to worry about the number of steps actually getting to one of those buildings). Travel an additional ~212-215 steps, landing the final step in the right-most entrance of the Celadon Department Store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uQ24VRWzdc

3) Alternative Cinnibar Island PokéMart:
(default Cinnibar Island music instead of Pokémon Center music) - Activate in Route 1 and travel 44~47 steps, landing the final step in your Rival's House. You will appear in Route 17 (Cycling Road). Travel north to Route 16 (where you will stop being pushed down. Like the other routes, don't worry about the amount of steps getting to Route 16 after arriving at Route 17.)  In Route 16, walk ~52-55 steps, landing the final step in the south-most gatehouse entrance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVKeQ7c5UZ8