Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Mewtwo & Swift in Generation I - Page 1

Mewtwo & Swift in Generation I

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2010-11-03 14:19:49
So… here I'm going to mention something that I faintly remember from a very long time ago.

Back when Generation I was the only one that existed, I used to play Red and Stadium a lot. But there was something that always struck me as odd. You see, I caught a Mewtwo and, in the lab in Pokémon Stadium, I replaced Swift with some other move. Some point later on, I attempted to re-teach the move through the TM (which I had loads of due to the item duplication glitch) (I don't need any comments saying that I'm a n00b and that Swift is a bad move, this was 10 years ago), but the strange thing was that it wouldn't let me. It said that it was incompatible.

So, there are a few possibilities:

- Mewtwo can only learn Swift through level-up, and not through the TM – at least in Generation I.
- For some reason (probably due to some careless mistake by the programmers), Mewtwo can't learn Swift through the TM in Stadium.
- My memory is faint (unlikely, because I remember this bugging me).

I'm curious to why I couldn't teach Mewtwo Swift through the TM in Stadium. Now, I'd figure this out myself, but I don't feel like dragging out my N64 just for this, and my Red cartridge's battery's days are numbered (given how old the game is now).

Re: Mewtwo & Swift in Generation I

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-11-03 17:21:48
It's completely possible that it doesn't, but I have not the means to check.  If you could test, that'd be great.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2010-11-03 18:34:33
I just tested it in a emulator (I'm lazy and don't feel like hooking up my N64. xP) and you can't teach Mewtwo Swift in Red, even if you play it on a Gameboy. ;) Definitely a error on the programmers part.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-11-03 20:03:56
Minor oversights like this have occurred, though I don't remember with exactly which Pokémon and moves, more often since Move Tutors were implemented.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2010-11-03 21:10:16
Vulpix can only learn Energy Ball via breeding in Generation IV, not by TM. These may be oversights or intentional, but unless one of us can get a hold of Game Freak and interrogate them, we won't know.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-11-04 03:40:20
There's also a similar case with Shibishirasu #602 in Black and White, the Electric Eel Pokémon. It can't learn any TMs or HMs, yet its starting moves are Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark and Charge Beam, so it can't learn Charge Beam by TM57 or Thunder Wave by TM73 but unless the game developers genuinely didn't consider the existence of those TMs there's not much basis to call it an oversight. Let's see if it can learn those TMs in a tentative third version.

Strangely, Mewtwo cannot learn Swift via TM39 in Gold/Silver either (I don't know about Crystal) but it can learn Swift via Move Tutors in Generation III and IV.

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2010-11-08 16:41:58
I didn't realize that there were similar ones too, and I didn't realize that Mewtwo couldn't even learn Swift by TM39 in G/S either. Although I do know that, in G/S/C at least (possibly other games as well), Psyduck can only get Psychic from breeding, not by TM, similar to Vulpix/Energy Ball.

Still, Mewtwo not being able to learn Swift by TM makes no sense to me.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2010-11-09 19:04:35

Vulpix can only learn Energy Ball via breeding in Generation IV, not by TM.

Similar tactics are employed in the CAP project, making movesets (with breeding moves and event moves) that are too powerful illegal.