Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Some interesting Red/Green glitch items - Page 1

Some interesting Red/Green glitch items

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-11-24 12:51:31
I'm going to go through all the glitch items in Red/Green to find some interesting glitch items and then see if you can obtain a few of them via this select button glitch or item mutation. Feel free to add to this list. The first item modifier code is 01xxA2D2.

Hex 00: - Its name unlike Red/Blue's 00 is completely blank. It still freezes the game though.
Hex 5B: - Outside of battle it adds text to the bottom of the screen and plays an odd Pokémon cry before freezing the game. In battle it does the same but freezes the game without printing text.
Hex 5C: - Outside of battle it sometimes does nothing, but other times this item causes the screen to go white before resetting the game (like a glitch dimension). In battle it either freezes the game or causes the enemy to make their move.
Hex 60: - Prints some text both in and outside of battle, however it isn't Professor Oak's unusable message.
Hex 66: - It tries to warp you to map 0xE6 (badges man in Cerulean City). Outside of battle, this results in a freeze. Using it within battles works, but may load the map incorrectly (Route 1 battle took me into the 'void'). If you use it in a Trainer battle, then the battle is repeated when you get to Cerulean City. You can use this to repeat Trainer battles (like L g) but I'm not sure if you can escape the building later.
Hex 6A: - Outside of battle it makes you invisible, if you press B then although you can't see it, the menu is open and you can view the Pokémon menu/Trainer card without the graphics loading properly. If you keep pressing A then it will continuously make you visible and invisible again (invisible text box prompt?) Inside of battle it lets the enemy attack and then does pretty much the same but in battle.
Hex 70: - Replaces part of the fourth item's name with 01 and then lets you set the number next to it to 0 or 1. Same effect within battle. Canceling or pressing A on '1' freezes the game. Once when pressing A on '0' outside of battle it reset the game and literally destroyed the save file.
Hex 74: - Causes something similar to the TMTrainer effect in battle however, the opponent is only asleep, not frozen solid/burned. Outside of battle it causes the music to fade and the game continuously has you try to use or toss the item.
Hex 75: - Functions like 0x74, but has a blank name.
Hex 76: - See 0x74.
Hex 79: - Very long name, see 0x74.
Hex 7A: - See 0x74. One time I tried this, it also brought up the Pokémon screen to use an item. The game wouldn't let me exit it and it wasn't the right time to use the item (I tried it on a below level 100 Pokémon without full health).
Hex 7B: - See 0x74.
Hex 7E: - See 0x74.
Hex 7F: - Very long name, see 0x74.
Hex 81: - Very long name, see 0x74.
Hex 82: - Very long name, see 0x74.
Hex 83: - Outside of battle it does nothing. Inside of battle it acts like a type of Poké Ball. Not 100% catch rate.
Hex 84: - See 0x83.
Hex 85: - Functions as a Town Map.
Hex 86: - Functions as a Bicycle.
Hex 87: - See 0x74.
Hex 88: - See 0x74. Once made player character invisible.
Hex 89: - See 0x74.
Hex 8A: - See 0x74.
Hex B8: - Acts like a Repel, quantity will reduce but you don't have to wait for its effect to wear off to use another.
Hex B9: - See 0xB8.
Hex C3: - Acts like an in-battle item and cannot be tossed.