Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

An awesome Japanese select button glitch website I found - Page 1

An awesome Japanese select button glitch website I found

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-12-05 08:12:25
http://www.geocities.jp/kattempla/pokebug/index.html

It notably has a list of all the Pokémon Red/Green glitch Pokémon and appears to give technical explanations around its glitches. It's a shame I can't really understand it though because of the language barrier. :(

Re: An awesome Japanese select button glitch website I found

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-12-05 08:25:59
I can't understand Japanese either, plus I got nothing but mojibake (or whatever it's called). Automatic translation works, but the Japanese-to-Portuguese didn't make much sense for me. :/

Date: 2011-12-05 08:53:42

I can't understand Japanese either, plus I got nothing but mojibake (or whatever it's called). Automatic translation works, but the Japanese-to-Portuguese didn't make much sense for me. :/

Use EUC-JP character encoding. Sorry, Firefox 7.0.1 switched it over to EUC-JP automatically and I didn't realise it didn't work on other encodings like SHIFT JIS. On older versions I had to change it manually via View > Character Encoding.

Date: 2011-12-05 09:54:51
Thanks. I actually use ChromePlus 1.6.3.1 based on Chromium 12.0.742.122, and it has a while I don't look for updates. :P

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2011-12-05 10:43:52
Yeah, I needed to switch to EUC-JP to see anything. But yeah, the language barrier is preventing me from understanding anything as well, and Google Translate spits out loads of Engrish, so that doesn't help either. I hope that someone here knows Japanese, because I'm so curious to what those glitch Pokémon are. It doesn't surprise me at all that the Japanese version has different glitch Pokémon, either. I'm curious to what MissingNo.'s moveset is… I'm also curious to what that 5 item is supposed to be… with the "5" in it, it doesn't look like anything I've seen from the English version, and I couldn't find the item here, either.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2011-12-05 20:32:24
How did you change the encoding? I have to download the webpage and fix the typo in the encoding type

and 5-kai means "five times" I think? Of course, it could mean something else too

Date: 2011-12-05 21:10:51
My ChromePlus is in Portuguese and I don't remember how to change back lol. But trying to translate by myself, it's Options > Advanced Configurations > Customize Fonts > Encoding > Japanese (EUC-JP).

Posted by: JacobGRocks
Date: 2011-12-09 09:46:26
If only google would translate it better.

-_-

This is awesome though, I wish I knew what it was saying.

Date: 2011-12-09 18:15:01

If only google would translate it better.

-_-

This is awesome though, I wish I knew what it was saying.

excite.co.jp/world translation works a little better. It's a shame though. I don't know what's the "best" machine translation, because no good machine translation really exists (at least yet?) and I've heard on some occasions Babelfish being better than Google Translate for certain languages (though this was a dated source), but worse for other languages.

Also there is the ambiguousness of the Japanese language as well, with certain words for instance having more than one meaning. Kumo ojisan - an enemy from Legendary Starfy 4 literally means "cloud uncle" or something along those lines (I really need to start editing at Starfy Wiki again…), but when く is put under Google Translate, it assumes you're talking about Spider-Man. (huh? it used to, well now it suggests "uncle spider".)

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2011-12-10 04:31:51
I agree, that's a very fascinating site….
I'd like to experiment with 5Kai, it seems to be a very very interesting item, that possibly manipulates the hex, in a more precise way than I've seen before that's inside the game, and not being used from outside the game.
Thanks for the link :)

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2011-12-11 14:02:10
'5kai' seems to have hex 5A (decimal 90), and indeed seems to be a VERY interesting item.
Btw, the item with hex 5A in the en-us Pokémon R/B(/Y ?) is the item with name '5F'..

Date: 2011-12-11 14:06:38

I'm also curious to what that 5 item is supposed to be… with the "5" in it, it doesn't look like anything I've seen from the English version, and I couldn't find the item here, either.

"5" is Red and Green's equivalent of the "5F" glitch item (0x5A). It apparently reads data based on some of the party Pokémon data starting from 0xD123 (number of Pokémon), before you select 'USE' as if it was assembly code for the item. There is a page explaining explaining 5 here in detail here, (edit: sorry I got the link wrong) probably written by [email=fright_warpstar@hotmail.co.jp]k(ry[/email], the author of this website. Unfortunately, I don't know understand ASM.

I once tried 5 when making a list of interesting glitch items in Pokémon Red and Green, but since I had a random party, all the item did was hang the game after choosing 'USE' so I didn't think of it as having any significance. I don't know for sure how you could obtain it, perhaps you can get it with item mutation, but you can't use this glitch because the 0x5A character is invalid.

The page tells you how to use 5 to trigger an 'instant encounter Pokémon' when using the item to change WRAM address 0xD036 (our equivalent of 0xD059). This is the same address used for legendary Pokémon and other Pokémon like Snorlax and the Lavender Town ghost, and it's also what is changed when you abuse Trainer-Fly glitches (e.g. Mew/Ditto glitch) to instantly encounter a wild Pokémon or Trainer.

Using it to encounter an instant encounter Pokémon:

They provide this assembly code:

D123 06 xx ;ld B,xx
D125 18 4D ;jr D174

D174 18 56 ;jr D1CC
D1CC 18 56 ;jr D224
D224 18 4F ;jr D275

D275 C3 A4 D2 ;jp D2A4

D2A4 FA A3 D2 ;ld A,(D2A3)D2A3,1ので
D2A7 EA 36 D0 ;ld (D036),Aそ現に対ま
D2AA C9 ;ret

From what I can understand from the page, this example activates an instant encounter Pokémon based on the index number of the first Pokémon, provided you have six Pokémon. I'm also assuming that you must have the other WRAM values in your party (e.g. D125 = 0x18, D126 = 0x4D) so that the game runs the right assembly code for you. I might be wrong though.

So for this example, you'll need:

1) 06h: 6 Pokémon (0xD123)
2) xxh: Any first Pokémon (0xD124)
3) 18h: Tentacool as the second Pokémon (0xD125)
4) 4Dh: Meowth as the third Pokémon (0xD126)
5) 18h: 24 PP left on the second Pokémon's first move (0xD174)
6) 56h: 86 PP left on the second Pokémon's second move (0xD175) - I don't know if this is possible with how PP Ups work in the data structure
7) 18h: 24 PP left on the 4th Pokémon's first move (0xD1CC)
8) 56h: 86 PP left on the 4th Pokémon's second move (0xD1CD)
9) 18h: 24 PP left on the 6th Pokémon's first move (0xD224)
10) 4Fh: 79 PP left on the 6th Pokémon's second move (0xD225) - Again is this possible?
11) C3h, A4h, D2h: The 6th Pokémon's nickname begins with "て" (0xD275-0xD277)
12) FAh: The second item is TM50 (0xD2A4)
13) A3h: The second item quantity is 163 (0xD2A5)
14) D2h: The third item is TM10 (0xD2A6)
15) EAh: The third item quantity is 234 (0xD2A7)
16) 36h: The fourth item is (0xD2A8)
17) D0h: The fourth item quantity is 208 (0xD2A9)
18) C9h: The fifth item is TM01 (0xD2AA)

These requirements above should activate that ASM code when you use 5. See also here.

That's ridiculous, so not worth it for this particular 'constructed glitch' when you could use Trainer-Fly :(.

Actually, I think the same page tells you how to get around the 86 PP problem with a slightly different set-up  (highlighted in blue). Those steps would make you think this sounds pretty much like a crazy PokéGod cheat don't they? I'm going to try to cheat that set-up and test this in concept.

So in concept, you could let this do 'almost anything' you want as long as its possible to get the set-up?

Edit: Completed the requirements list.

Edit2: The website tells you the requirements for other glitches using 5, including a glitch PokéMart, a music modifier, fly anywhere, a player name modifier and glitched Pokédex (see here).

Others: Make a Pokémon evolve into your first Pokémon, another wild encounter modifier.

[size=18pt]...Wow, thats interesting. Are the requirements just a little simpler? Did they cause a debug menu to come up?!![/size]

Oh, wow they made assembly code for their own debug menu...

Date: 2011-12-11 17:23:24
5F? I've actually seen that item around while using the pokedos cartouche'….
yay more experimentation for me…..ugh…it gets tiring after 4 years….lol

EDIT: yes, I have 5F in my item cache right now on one of my save states.

Date: 2011-12-11 20:50:51
Whoa, that's awesome! They were editing RAM values in-game? That's like a "legit Gameshark". I hope the requirements aren't "impossible". :P I wanna try that, but I have a ton of school shit to finish. :<

Btw, what does 5F do? It doesn't have the same effects as 5kai, right?

Date: 2011-12-11 21:18:40
Since they both occupy the same hex, I don't see why they wouldn't do the same thing in basically the same game.
But then again, the clefairy M' VS Charizard M' argument is that both are game breakers, but one causes the cerulean Gym to go haywire via being in sync with the map values that the poison is with as well, and the other doesn't, respectively.

So far, 5F has done 1 of 2 things for me.
1. freeze the game via an error code 39.
Or 2. absolutely nothing.

Presently I'm experimenting to see if there some result in the pokedos cartouche that can work with it.
But with more than 10K possible results, possible more than 100k its a bit overwhelming.

Of course, you probably weren't talking to me.