Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Help me with the "Scariest" Gen 1 glitches. - Page 1

Help me with the "Scariest" Gen 1 glitches.

Posted by: Dracophile
Date: 2011-12-11 19:53:37
Hey there. I'm a writer and an avid fan of Generation 1 of Pokemon. That was basically my middle/high school years. Been involved with glitch stuff a very long time (I ran one of the first Pokemon glitch sites through Homestead, and on YouTube I'm "RFSmediaproductions" who has uploaded a few glitch videos one of which being what I assumed was the first documented case of getting your name frozen as "OLD MAN" though I'm not certain on that). Back in the 90's I had this spiral notebook FULL of hex values and independent research, I called it "The MissingNo Notebook" and before sites like Glitch City and Bulbapedia showed up to catalog things far better than I could, I tried my luck re-compiling my old notebook research into a site (http://www.rfshq.com/missingno/index.php – Ignore the malware alert, that was from the main site's page, the Pokemon site is safe).

So… now that you know who I am (it's great to be here by the way :)) let me rap about what I'm working on. I mentioned I write, and right now I'm the creative director (and lead contributor) to a website called GatorAIDS. My most recent article (posted 12/6/2011) is called "The 7 Freakiest Pokemon R/B/Y Glitches", which has made its nominal rounds in the usual avenues where my work gets out. Community response has been phenomenal, so I'm working on a sequel. I need help with it (because I made the mistake of bumping my list from 6 to 7 items long because I wasn't anticipating a follow-up).

The article(s) is about ANYTHING that happens "naturally" in Gen 1. I say "naturally" because with memory hacking and ROM patching you can purposefully break the game in bizarre ways that are set up. I'm looking for legitimate glitches, however grand or minor, that are just eerie/creepy/etc. They can be scary outright (screen erupts and the music goes to hell) or they can be creepy in principle, for example, the Dokokashira Door glitch. When it's active you have no idea it is, but the second you try to go in a door…

Anyways, below is a complete list of glitches I've read about (or remembered) and their status in the article. The first 7 have already been used up in the original article (which is here if you're interested) and everything after it is just a toss-up according to its notation:

– MissingNo. (USED)
"The very first time it was ever encountered by anybody."

– "OLD MAN" Trainer ID Theft (USED)
Forcing Old Man to fight a trainer results in your name being stuck as OLD MAN.

– The "ZZAZZ" Glitch (USED)

– Dokokashira Door glitch (USED)

– Hex Value "EC" (USED)
An "empty" slow of data that loads nothing, but cannot be empty because Surge is there (Schrodinger's Cat analogy)

– "Phantom" Ditto (USED)
The Ditto that appears after catching M and the fact that nobody knows why it happens.

– Charizard M (USED)
"The embodiment of the Cancel button that also converts and copies itself in your party and box."

– Hall of Fame Crashing (obsoleted, mentioned in first article)
What happens to the HoF after encountering MissingNo

– Glitch City
Globally, any kind of broken map that happens unexpectedly. If there's a very weird/spooky example, that would be best.

– TMTRAINER effect

– "JACRED" (likely no)
Cannot find suitable documentation on this glitch.

– MissingNo "B6" (likely no)
Kabutops skeleton. It would likely just be playing up the creepiness factor of fighting a skeleton.

– Healing @ Center with no Pokemon
In Yellow it arbitrarily rolls the opening cinematics and crashes the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FICrNG0yPkU

– "Camera Shy" MissingNo. (definite yes)
Any photographs taken of MissingNo in Stadium "don't develop". Need help finding screengrabs of MissingNo in action, though.

– "Lost In Translation" (big maybe)
A proper link battle between a US and Japanese cart. I've seen one video, but I need to find a better one that doesn't rely on glitches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADuUxBdFqjM&feature=related

– Yellow B2F / "Don't sneak up on m–" (big maybe)
I don't quite understand what's going on here. There is no context:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dmKQkMxoY&feature=related

– "Screaming Pikachu" (no)
Oak fights a MissingNo and this happens?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2youTS44Pms&feature=related
edit: Nevermind, video description mentions hacked memory

– (anything that would immediately kill save data)
This is just creepypasta, but if there was anything that would simply kill the save game info that might be interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liXQwNrPoKs&feature=related

– Dokokashira 2: Dokokashira Harder (definite yes)
That music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTJvPXhRnW4&feature=related

– "Female symbol" glitch
From what I understand it's just a non-stop cry that blows the game up, but I don't know much more about it.

– Anything involving distorting the Pikachu status in Yellow
"talking" to Pikachu results in something insane happening, this would be pretty perfect.

So, that's the list I am working with. I only really have 2 definite yes'es in there, and I'd like to at least try to get to 6. 5 if I absolutely can't make it to 6. You guys all study glitches non stop so hopefully you've got some additional info on creepier stuff and might be able to shed some light.

Thanks so much for checking this out. I gotta give it up to you guys for doing such an awesome job here and on other websites studying glitches!

Re: Help me with the "Scariest" Gen 1 glitches.

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2011-12-11 21:20:26
Take a look at basically anything on my youtube channel for that.
especially that darned Kappa.

All of those should give you something to work with provided its pokemon related.

My youtube channel is "kuriatsu"

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2011-12-12 01:01:55

on YouTube I'm "RFSmediaproductions"

Ah I remember watching your glitch videos a long time back! I'm blahperson15 in youtube.

Posted by: xeno
Date: 2011-12-12 01:09:36
Any relation to RSF Nightmare City or Super Mario war?
(mario world war: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/super-mario-world-war/263856)
(nightmare city: http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/nightmare-city-with-lyrics/271756)
Probably not…:(

Posted by: Dracophile
Date: 2011-12-12 02:03:41
Nah, the "RFS" thing came about from an abbreviation of a now-defunct production group. We are called Twilight Foundry now (again, actually) but we cannot change our name on YouTube. We're one of the "original Directors", back when you had to apply for it. So we have no limit to the size or length of what we can upload. Kind of a hard thing to give up. :(

But yea that's me on YouTube. :P I was uploading those videos because I was working on restarting my old Pokemon site… but that was an incredibly bizarre point in my life and long story short I ended up in therapy a couple of days after I posted all those glitch videos so I was unable to work on them further, and my treatments kind of overtook my personal life. I just kinda stopped working on them. :(

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-12-12 08:51:07
That's a nice project of yours. :D. I hope you good luck with your GatorAIDs article. I have also seen your Youtube account before.

– "OLD MAN" Trainer ID Theft (USED)
Forcing Old Man to fight a trainer results in your name being stuck as OLD MAN.

How is it possible without cheating? I suspect that it may be possible though by using two games and a link cable via the Cable Club escape glitch. I will test that for you. The thing is with the Cable Club escape glitch though, is that only existing Trainer Pokémon are changed to 'fake Red' and the roster you linked with.

– Hex Value "EC" (USED)
An "empty" slow of data that loads nothing, but cannot be empty because Surge is there (Schrodinger's Cat analogy)

Actually, this is a problem with any Trainer-Fly 'Pokémon' past hex: C7 (199) because of an algorithm that makes the game regard any Pokémon you directly encounter in the wild with an index number >199 as a Trainer. When you use the Trainer-Fly (e.g. Ditto glitch) glitch this way, the Trainer will appear but they will usually send out something like Charizard 'M or Q. This doesn't mean that the actual glitch Pokémon occupying these index numbers don't exist though, because they can be obtained through evolution and glitches such as the Johto guard glitch and Japanese select button glitches like the fossil conversion glitch. A common misconception is that the Trainers usually send out 'their glitch Pokémon', but this is often because people use Gameshark and leave the 01xxD8CF (which actually modifies the species) code on.

– "Phantom" Ditto (USED)
The Ditto that appears after catching M and the fact that nobody knows why it happens.

It happens with all hex:000 variants as well, e.g. Spanish 'M's equivalent using the grass surfing glitch. It also happens with 3TrainerPoké, but I don't know of a way to trigger it in the wild directly, because a Special of 256 in the Ditto glitch doesn't work.

– Charizard M (USED)
"The embodiment of the Cancel button that also converts and copies itself in your party and box."

This happens with Q, anedpami (Red/Green Charizard 'M) and other hex:FF Pokémon as well. Q can be obtained by evolving 44hy. The Hex:FF variants also hide Pokémon above it, ignoring Pokémon Center healing causing an 'endless blackout loop' if you faint but the top Pokémon hex:FF is also fainted. This also happens when you do the dokokashira door glitch, but don't open the fight menu first. As you're likely familiar ????? (FF) (obtainable by getting a bad clone with Celebi egg glitch, putting it into daycare and out again) can be used to hide Generation II Pokémon above it (but not moves) to get into the Time Capsule with Generation II Pokémon. Also, you can use the fainting glitch in Generation II to easily beat Trainers because you don't have any Pokémon, and the game just fades out and acts as if you won.

– Glitch City
Globally, any kind of broken map that happens unexpectedly. If there's a very weird/spooky example, that would be best.

I know that in Pokémon Red and Green, having the map data change unexpectedly when walking to another route after triggering the dokokashira door glitch can create some really glitchy maps with some interesting glitch music.

There are also actual glitch maps which don't freeze the game, such as the cycling glitch maps (e.g. hex:EE) accessible with 01xx5DD3 in Yellow and the glitch city in Pokémon G/S/C, but no non-cheating methods have been found to get to those.

– "JACRED" (likely no)
Cannot find suitable documentation on this glitch.

This works, but it's not always 'Jacred' and it commonly just freezes the game. "Jacred" is Trainer class 256. You can encounter Jacred using the ditto glitch with a special stat of 200 (0xC8) because the process from the game is to subtract 200 to encounter Trainers. Its name isn't constant, and I haven't been able to get Jacred exactly but it depends on the version, the attack stage (roster no.) of the last Pokémon and various other things. It may freeze the game, depending on the above. I have found a sub-glitch of Jacred which allows you to corrupt your number of items in battle, it requires using Growl to lower the last Pokémon's attack 2 times, so you can encounter their 'fifth roster'.

– MissingNo "B6" (likely no)
Kabutops skeleton. It would likely just be playing up the creepiness factor of fighting a skeleton.

This is possible using the ditto glitch with a Special stat of 182, or the old man glitch with 'w' as the third, fifth or seventh character in your name. The other special Missingno. i.e. Aerodactyl (B7/183/x) and Ghost (B8/184/y) are also obtainable in this way. A little known fact that in Red/Green Pokémon 0xB8 is actually called "Ghost", not Missingno. so this is the closest thing to training a ghost. The special Missingno. adapt their base stats and TM/HM compatibility based on other Pokémon currently in memory.

– Healing @ Center with no Pokemon
In Yellow it arbitrarily rolls the opening cinematics and crashes the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FICrNG0yPkU

I didn't know it could do that in Yellow! Unfortunately no, I don't know of a way to get rid of your last Pokémon the best thing you can currently do is walk around with all fainted Pokémon (e.g. via the PC or Charizard 'M)

– "Camera Shy" MissingNo. (definite yes)
Any photographs taken of MissingNo in Stadium "don't develop". Need help finding screengrabs of MissingNo in action, though.

I have also heard this is true. Unfortunately I don't own Pokémon Stadium, so I don't know if I can help you on this one. Sorry :(

– "Lost In Translation" (big maybe)
A proper link battle between a US and Japanese cart. I've seen one video, but I need to find a better one that doesn't rely on glitches.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADuUxBdFqjM&feature=related

Here's one. This doesn't load both sets of party Pokémon correctly due to the offset differences. Contrary to Nintendo's official word, it doesn't always destroy both save files. When trading between Red/Green and Red/Blue, the save file on Red/Green usually gets destroyed, while the Red/Blue save is left intact with a glitch Pokémon.

– Yellow B2F / "Don't sneak up on m–" (big maybe)
I don't quite understand what's going on here. There is no context:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77dmKQkMxoY&feature=related

This is text which already exists in games (one of the Lasses in Mt. Moon I think) but my memory is faint. The B2F item in Yellow, like various other glitch items searches for text to appear and its just a big coincidence it does make that text eventually appear. The item may be obtainable via item mutation. It is hex:54.

– (anything that would immediately kill save data)
This is just creepypasta, but if there was anything that would simply kill the save game info that might be interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liXQwNrPoKs&feature=related

Encountering ordinary Ketsuban (not the fossil or ghost variations) on the opponent's side in Pokémon Red and Green usually does just that. ZZAZZ glitch is also known for destroying save files, but I believe its only if you did something like beat the Pokémon League after the glitch.

– Dokokashira 2: Dokokashira Harder (definite yes)
That music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTJvPXhRnW4&feature=related

This is the variation of the map data changing while you walk around as mentioned above.

– "Female symbol" glitch
From what I understand it's just a non-stop cry that blows the game up, but I don't know much more about it.

It sometimes does this when you encounter it via Ditto glitch with a Special stat of 193 as it's hex:C3. Other times it just freezes the game for some reason.

– Anything involving distorting the Pikachu status in Yellow
"talking" to Pikachu results in something insane happening, this would be pretty perfect.

I used to do this with my Xploder a long time ago, I'd talk to Pikachu hit the "activate" button (this brings up a Trainer menu for generating your own cheat codes when you're already in game) and then exit, and sometimes Pikachu would scream. I don't know of anything similar that's possible without cheating.

Posted by: JacobGRocks
Date: 2011-12-17 12:47:02
I got a bunch of green vids at Youtube.com/gligar13vids, the older vids are the glitch ones.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2011-12-19 11:22:38
torchickens: you have an xploder ? i do too. however, my xploder is screwed, it takes me like 3 hours of resetting to get to the damn menu. i believe this started happening after the thing froze in the middle of saving its cheat database. i was modifying its cheat database for the first time.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-12-19 13:40:54

torchickens: you have an xploder ? i do too. however, my xploder is screwed, it takes me like 3 hours of resetting to get to the damn menu. i believe this started happening after the thing froze in the middle of saving its cheat database. i was modifying its cheat database for the first time.

Yes, the purple Xploder from Blaze.

Once mine played up for a while, and it said that the cheat database was corrupted (and waiting at the screen for a few moments would bring up corrupted games next to the last game: Zelda DX) even though I don't think I powered off the Game Boy Advance SP when it was running, but strangely it eventually recovered itself (I had to start using the 'activate' button on its own), and the cheat database went back to normal, so it might have been some kind of a read error. I often have to take the Xploder cartridge out and/or adjust the GB/C cart, as I sometimes have to do with ordinary cartridges that don't display "Nintendo" at first, but hopefully it doesn't run on an internal clock battery, as I can't see one (I've heard that the Mega Memory Card from InterAct runs on SRAM, so it lasts several decades instead of the time which the internal clock batteries typically lose charge).

That's strange that it takes that long to get to the menu. Does it display the "Nintendo" ("boot-strap"?) screen, or does it just freeze? I'm sorry to hear about your Xploder. :( At the very least it's a good thing that they're pretty common on eBay.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2011-12-19 16:36:32
Most of the time it just freezes, sometimes it gets to the menu but displays textwrong (using other characters in sram, etc)… and like i said, after a few hours of resetting (and taking out the cart and blowing in it etc, and putting it back in) it gets to the menu. Not like i've used it for ages because of that though. :p