Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Name for Glitch City - Page 1

Name for Glitch City

Posted by: Glitch28
Date: 2012-02-05 14:09:50
What do you think is a good name for Glitch City? (Other than ''Glitch City'')

Re: Name for Glitch City

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-02-05 19:16:41

What do you think is a good name for Glitch City? (Other than ''Glitch City'')

Good question. Well I guess it depends on the context. The classic Generation I Glitch City occurs when the player walks outside of an invalid exit point (Chamale knows more about this). In the case of the Safari Zone, Fuschia City's exit No. 4 pertains to walking outside of the Safari Zone from the building but the glitch occurs when there is no exit No. 4 for the last location loaded into memory. The exit map for the Safari Zone gate by default brings up the last location (I believe it's actually set to map FF, which is a handler for doing so). When the data isn't valid, Glitch City occurs but technically you're in a real location. Many other maps have an exit No. 4, this is why performing the last step in Cerulean City makes you walk outside of the Bike Shop.

So these are not necessarily glitch maps, although in Generation II, the map which ????? gives you (although it seems to depend on emulation and version) is a glitch map. There are also a number of glitch maps in Generation I which I like to call the "cycling based glitch maps", I don't know what maps they're based on, if any real map but they have their own identifiers and they force the player to keep moving forward in a strange glitch area until the game freezes. They would be accessible with the dokokashira door glitch, but they simply freeze the game on Red/Green versions (don't know about Japanese Blue).

So you could also call the Generation I Glitch City "invalid exits", while you could probably call everything else, apart from the "glitch dimensions" which is simply a palette change (not literally a real glitch dimension) "glitch locations".

Re: Name for Glitch City

Posted by: Glitch28
Date: 2012-02-11 11:21:05
I mean, the Gen1 glitch city. One of the names is under ''Favorite Glitch'' on my profile