Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Turning Magikarp To MEW rumor! Secret #152 Entry! (first Mew Glitch) - Page 1

Turning Magikarp To MEW rumor! Secret #152 Entry! (first Mew Glitch)

Posted by: ginothepro
Date: 2012-02-14 11:20:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAmtvubMvMQ&context=C3e1809dADOEgsToPDskKV4w_hjeSh0RuG56vtZTTT

To start things of right!
i did not use any cheat device at all… its pure glitches in this video!

i was playing around with the glitches in this game this morning and came across this glitch that totaly changes everything since no one has ever reported the happenings in this video
it means i found it FIRST lol
anyways as i was saying
i was playing around with glitches in this game (pokemon green japanese 1995 version not 1996 version) the first version of pokemon ever available only in japan

and the thing about this pokemon game is that in the first version u could switch items with pokemon witch caused alot of glitches like the famous Dokokashira door glitch and other glitches such as getting lv 100 pokemon in 1 battle and getting charizard M.

when i was playing around with an old rumor about magikarp that could turn to a mew with some kind of event of some sort
i came across this!
the intressting thing about this discovery is the secret number 152 entry in the pokedex!
a secret pokemon?!??

to preform this glitch u need to do these steps exactly as i do them in the video! or it will turn to a Charizard M or a missingno or even freeze the game
———————
To do the Mew glitch:
1. get 2 magikarps
2. have 13 items or more with you and select the 13th item so that u can switch it then press B 2 times
3. get into battle
8. go to switch pokemon screen
9. press switch with the first magikarp in ur party
10. the pokemon should turn to Mew before your eyes! (but wont register in the pokedex but instead open up slot #152!

11.Now you can press B to cancel back to the battle screen and run away from battle
now check the pokedex and pokemon #152 should be there!

ANYONE WHO KNOWS JAPANESE LMK ITS NAME I CANT READ JAPANESE!

If u are gonna Spread this clip (glitch) around
give my video credit!

//Ginothepr0

Re: Turning Magikarp To MEW rumor! Secret #152 Entry! (first Mew Glitch)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-02-14 14:08:11
Thank you so much for verifying this glitch! We've seen this before (from a post from 2007) yet weren't able to emulate it, but thanks to your video we can. I will try again, using Magikarp instead of just any ordinary Water type Pokémon… (see below)

This exact same glitch was posted on GameFAQs in 2009. I'm not sure where it originated (probably a Japanese select button glitch website), but as the thread says, gunbladelad77 knew about it via email by a "Thomas Lei" several years before the post. However, your ninth step was generalised as swapping any water type Pokémon. I posted about it on the temporary forums last April, but Paco81 and I tried it to find that the game had frozen at step 10. This suggests either there was an error in the steps (perhaps only certain water type Pokémon work), the emulator, or the game used.

i was playing around with glitches in this game (pokemon green japanese 1995 version not 1996 version) the first version of pokemon ever available only in japan

and the thing about this pokemon game is that in the first version u could switch items with pokemon witch caused alot of glitches like the famous Dokokashira door glitch and other glitches such as getting lv 100 pokemon in 1 battle and getting charizard M.

Are you sure that the glitch only works on earlier revisions of Red/Green? Hanzou (a speedrunner) said sometime in 2007 before the dokokashira door glitch really got into wider knowledge in the English speaking community said that it only works in v1.0 but myself, when testing Red/Green v1.0 and v1.1 (rev A) on the emulator BGB got the glitch to work perfectly on both revisions. Both (rev A) and (rev B) are copyrighted 1995. In most versions of VisualBoyAdvance, there is an emulation error in which the dokokashira door glitch does not work; Oak appears but walking through entrances does not warp the player (changing the map number address 0xDDD2 has no effect on VBA for some reason) but on BGB the dokokashira door glitch works on all revisions of Red/Green, as well as Japanese Blue (You can swap items with Pokémon in Japanese Blue too contrary to common belief.  I haven't tested Japanese Yellow/Pikachu though).

ANYONE WHO KNOWS JAPANESE LMK ITS NAME I CANT READ JAPANESE!

It's Missingno.  (つば Ketsuban). I don't know Japanese (only how to recognise hiragana/katakana and a bit of kanji to an extent), but we have known of the #152 occurrence since a long time ago. However, this is the first time I've heard of anyone registering #152 without cheating. It should be possible by encountering a glitch Pokémon #152, but none exist in the English versions, and these could freeze the game on the opponent's side and/or require Cable Club escape glitch (index numbers 200 and up) to see them…

The #152nd entry is actually a technicality and does not indicate an unused Pokémon. The "seen" and "own" bytes in the Pokédex are 19 bytes each and a Pokémon is registered for every 2^x (Pokédex order). This means you can see a total of 8 Pokémon in every byte (e.g. in the first byte a value of 2^1+2^0 == 3 is seen Ivysaur and Bulbasaur). Since any single byte has a total of 8 bits, multiplying 8 by 19 gives you 152. In Japanese versions, the 152nd Pokémon is Missingno. but in Red and Blue, it has given me either Farfetch'd or Scyther (I don't know why).

Posted by: ginothepro
Date: 2012-02-14 15:32:07
oh ok!
but still i found it randomly so im happy haha

is there any way for me to help out more?
i have jp yellow aswell i can try some glitches there aswell?

is there any other glitches in green i can verify with my green in hand?
lmk post the glitches in this thread and i will try them for you =)

so the 152 entry is something unseen without cheats?
maybe i can recover some lost sprites or sounds  by doing random who knows haha

but why does the entry 152 still add to my dex if its not a unused pokemon? i mean it must be there for  a reason and not just because " Since any single byte has a total of 8 bits, multiplying 8 by 19 gives you 152"

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-02-15 13:51:17

oh ok!
but still i found it randomly so im happy haha

is there any way for me to help out more?
i have jp yellow aswell i can try some glitches there aswell?

is there any other glitches in green i can verify with my green in hand?
lmk post the glitches in this thread and i will try them for you =)

so the 152 entry is something unseen without cheats?
maybe i can recover some lost sprites or sounds  by doing random who knows haha

but why does the entry 152 still add to my dex if its not a unused pokemon? i mean it must be there for  a reason and not just because " Since any single byte has a total of 8 bits, multiplying 8 by 19 gives you 152"

Well I'm going to try and upload a higher quality version of your video…  :) I'll make sure to give you credit. Actually, I just remembered Gia257 got a "152nd" Pokémon with the 'save glitch' (its used for Red/Blue and Yellow speedruns, turn the power off before the save menu properly pops up, I've got it to work on my physical Pokémon Yellow) but I don't know how you would get the Pokédex without the game freezing due to a huge block of your party Pokémon data being replaced with "FF" values.

I have successfully performed the fossil conversion glitch, skip to level 100 glitch, and partial switch glitch (I'm sure that one works on the real game). If you'd like to inform me if they work on a real Game Boy, that would be great, but you don't have to.

It does seem strange, but its along the same reasons why 256 Pokémon "exist", although they don't. If Game Freak had only used 18 seen and own bytes, the Pokédex would only be able to hold up to (18*8) 144 Pokémon. The fact that the Pokédex only extends to 152 Pokémon is the reason why glitch (153 and up Pokémon) corrupt your items when you encounter them, because the final "seen" Pokédex byte is 01xx1CD3 (1BD3 Yellow, A0D2(?) Red/Green).

The "next one" would be 01xx1DD3, which is the number of items (+2^0 in "Dex 153". "Dex 154" would add +2^1 to the number of items, etc.), and then 01xx1ED3 is the first item (+2^0 in "Dex 160"), and 01xx1FD3 (+2^0 in "Dex 167") is the first item quantity (etc.). Missingno. is "Dex 000/256", corrupting the sixth item quantity when you see him (+128 or 2^7) in 01xx29D3.

If you talk to Professor Oak when you have seen/owned 152 Pokémon, he speaks in some glitch text which varies between Red/Green, Red/Blue, Yellow and different language games.

The developers decided to store the Pokémon (and Trainers actually) in a single byte, which is the smallest the Game Boy can handle with a provided a single value is used for each Pokémon (although encountering a 200+ on the opponent's side was programmed to bring up a Trainer). There are only 151 Pokémon + the 39 Missingno. (I've heard there's data in the ROM which tells all the Missingno. specifically not to evolve or learn any level up moves, including the nine which have unused cries). The other glitch Pokémon are due to the game grabbing data where it shouldn't, and Missingno. does so to a degree, which is what happens when the game tries to generate the "sprite", "base stats" and "starting moves" for No. 000's, which are actually data from elsewhere. Stag019 did some research and verified that Missingno.'s base stats are taken from the rosters of Bikers.

You might be interested to know, that according to an old interview, Tajiri says they [Game Freak] had planned over 200 Pokémon for the first games, and when Generation II were in development, they already had designs for over 350 Pokémon. However, prior to GlitterBerri's translatation of the interview, a Smogon user asked Shigeki Morimoto whether there were once 190 Pokémon planned for Red and Green, and he replied "Yes; we decided to save the rest of the designs for later". I believe that these Pokémon were some of the original 190. The Capsule Monsters design Papyō is listed as "211". My theory is that only 190 Pokémon were programmed, before being reduced to 150 (later increased to 151)