Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Error Codes in R/B (US) - Page 1

Error Codes in R/B (US)

Posted by: Catstorm
Date: 2012-02-15 10:07:53
I was messing around in the Memory Viewer around line 2650 or 2950 and after inputting several numbers (22 22 22 22 22, 44 44 44… etc)  all text boxes became error codes.

Effects:

1. The Start menu would load "Error 0." and close like a text box. All functions that were triggered by text were basically useless, so I could do almost nothing.
2. Some NPCs would spit out a line of glitched text and then a line from another person. For example, the clerk at the Pewter City Museum would ask to heal my Pokémon. A girl near Viridian Forest would tell me she was Brock but would not fight me. Only some functions of the text worked as the examples provide. Others had a reoccuring line of three text boxes that would change the music and remove a NPC from the room. Often the nurse in the Pokémon center would disappear. I don't have any idea why this happens.
3. This is the most interesting. An interactive object in a room would say "Error 0" while the next would say "Error 1" and so on. The Error 0 was always taken by the menu. I have seen "Error 6" and up in rooms like the museum. This also applies to trainers on routes: some listed, in order of appearance, from 91-99.
4. Other items sometimes would have set  "error values;" for example, all the bookcases in houses say "Error 63."
5. Battles were untouched and the only way I could view my Pokémon and items.

I don't have the notes of the values I put in at the moment (but I can get them very soon) but it was very interesting to see that the errors would be in numerical order… mostly. A lot of extra values were entered and I got several crashes upon interacting with things like the Kabutops skeleton and a lady in a Pokémon center.

If you want me to elaborate on something (It's hard to say this without a video/screenshots) I can try to say. I hope that maybe this can contribute towards something (the error description page is pretty blank here and maybe we can find their meaning?)

Thanks! I've been lurking here and at other sites (TRsRockin) and I absolutely enjoy Pokémon glitches.

Re: Error Codes in R/B (US)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-02-15 14:37:45
I'm not sure exactly what happened, but I find this familiar. An overworld NPC is defined in the ROM like this: (NPC#) i.e. sprite , Y coordinate, X coordinate, then walking pattern, turning, text id. I unfortunately can't remember the offsets (I found them somewhere in IIMarckus' Pokémon Red disassembly), but in Pokémon Yellow Cerulean City's begins at 0x18808. I've noticed that the text data varies by area. When you use an invalid text ID, the game often brings up an error code.

I believe this is along the lines of why the "0 ERROR" glitch occurs (the 'normal' Vermilion City/Route 6 method) , because the last text data in Vermilion City's memory (you can see it in BGB's VRAM viewer) is of that particular NPC, and the equivalent in Route 6 is "0 ERROR".  That's why you sometimes need to open the start menu as the menu loaded into memory in order to get the start menu to pop up on the other route. See also this thread, you can create subglitches such as slow motion and the "trick zone" glitch.

If we were lucky, we could probably do a certain variation of the Trainer-Fly glitch to bring up a glitch PokéMart or a glitch Pokémon Center (involving talking to a certain NPC before moving on to the route). Incidentally, in Pokémon Yellow all "ERRORs" are "errors", probably because the developers added "PRINTER error."

edit:link fix

Re: Error Codes in R/B (US)

Posted by: Catstorm
Date: 2012-03-01 09:44:00
I've uploaded a video with the changed hex values and the effects I described for all to see.

Here