Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Why do the special MISSINGNOs have stats that change? - Page 1

Why do the special MISSINGNOs have stats that change?

Posted by: FSX
Date: 2012-03-12 16:38:57
I've been looking at the Kabutops fossil Missingno, and while it, of course, has rather strange stats, there doesn't appear to be anything particularly special about it. It has a TM/HM list of its own, sitting in the middle of a ROM bank. Does the game handle these Pokemon differently somehow?

EDIT: I managed to answer my own question. It doesn't actually read base stat data at all if given one of those IDs.

Re: Why do the special MISSINGNOs have stats that change?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-04-25 11:32:27
I have a GHOST Missingno. When I put it into the PC and then take it out, it changes level.

Also, when caught, it has copied the stats (balanced) and type (Psychic) of my Mew, and the moveset of my h Poke (both in my party). It can't learn any new moves though. (unlike h Poke, which learns HM02) So it may have copied the moveset of the Gengar in the PC instead.

Another thing, in the fight when I caught it, the GHOST (L7) could only use Pound (Mew?). After I caught it and checked its stats, the moves became Lick, Confuse Ray and Night Shade (h Poke or Gengar).

Any normal moves cannot affect it, although it appears to be a Psychic type.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-04-25 11:41:22
GHOST MissingNo copies data from Pokemon in the party depending on where it's placed.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-04-26 08:33:25
But what about its learnset? My party has Mew, Mew, Blastoise, Kadabra, Mew and GHOST. I grew it from level 9 to level 55 but it doesn't learn any move along the way. Is it related to the flag which disables any Missingno. to learn moves while leveling?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-04-26 12:01:01
Yes, MissingNo only learns a move at Lv. 136: Pound.

That is, if it acts like 'M moveset wise.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-04-29 10:07:19

Yes, MissingNo only learns a move at Lv. 136: Pound.

That is, if it acts like 'M moveset wise.

Actually MissingNo. doesn't learn Pound at Level 136, while 'M does for whatever reason. Stag019 I think, said there are pointers in the 39 MissingNo.'s data leading each of them to data telling them never to evolve or learn any level-up moves, unlike other 00 variants.

Off-topic: I like your new name.

But what about its learnset? My party has Mew, Mew, Blastoise, Kadabra, Mew and GHOST. I grew it from level 9 to level 55 but it doesn't learn any move along the way. Is it related to the flag which disables any Missingno. to learn moves while leveling?

Yeah. I believe so. I've noticed that a wild fossil/ghost MissingNo. can copy the starting moves of another Pokémon, but starting moves aren't directly related to level-up moves. I wonder if they would copy level-up moves or evolutions if there wasn't the data telling MissingNo. not to have any.