Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Game Corner coins on the ground - Page 1

Game Corner coins on the ground

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2012-03-19 02:29:06
In RBY, the Game Corner has 12 hidden coin objects on the floor that you can pick up. Here is a map of the Game Corner object data:

[img]http://iimarck.us/etc/gamecorner.png[/img]

Red boxes are hidden coins. There are two glitches here.

One I circled in blue. These ten coins cannot be picked up because the slot machine (which is also implemented as a hidden object) takes priority. (The slot machine cant be played, either, because it cant be accessed from the side and a gambler blocks the front.)

The other I circled in green. Internally, the game stores 40 coins here. Game Corner coins are stored in BCD instead of plain hexadecimal. The conversion routine is a simple ifelse:

cp 10
        jr z, .bcd10
        cp 20
        jr z, .bcd20
        cp 40
        jr z, .bcd20 ;
        jr .bcd100
.bcd10
        ld a, $10
        ld [$ff00+$a1], a
        jr .done
.bcd20
        ld a, $20
        ld [$ff00+$a1], a
        jr .done
.bcd40
        ld a, $40
        ld [$ff00+$a1], a
        jr .done
.bcd100
        ld a, $1
        ld [$ff00+$a0], a
.done

Notice the line I commented. Due to a copypaste error, the 40 coin handler gives 20 coins instead. .bcd40 is never used.

Re: Game Corner coins on the ground

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2012-03-19 06:24:28
Nice find.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2012-04-01 23:27:45
Wow that's rather something. I wonder if there are other items that are unreachable in other parts of the game (like the one circled in blue).

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2012-04-06 13:13:20

Wow that's rather something. I wonder if there are other items that are unreachable in other parts of the game (like the one circled in blue).

Theres a hidden Nugget in the Safari Zone gatehouse thats outside the boundaries of the map. You can detect it with the Itemfinder, but its out of reach so you cant pick it up.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-04-08 21:16:30

Theres a hidden Nugget in the Safari Zone gatehouse thats outside the boundaries of the map. You can detect it with the Itemfinder, but its out of reach so you cant pick it up.

So that mystery item is a Nugget? I always had a feeling it was… (I made a video of the glitch in action, of course all it demonstrates is that the itemfinder goes off because of the item. :V)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-04-16 16:25:53
This is interesting. Nice work.

I was also wondering about the Itemfinder going off at the Safari Zone gate when Raven Freak mentioned it on the forums some time back. This was the video he posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fI7ny0lg1Y

Is there a similar gate where you can find a Nugget, obtainable or unobtainable?