Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Is it possible? - Page 1

Is it possible?

Posted by: SuperGlitchy
Date: 2012-06-13 16:31:13
So today, I caught .4 and was messing around with Super Glitch, one time, it changed my name to a backround item. (Grass I think) and .4 wanted to evolve into Kangaskawn. A few save states ago, I was in route 1 with .4 at the lead of my team. Saved at Viridian city, and saved in a different place on route one with Magneton at the lead of my team. I engaged in a battle and used Super Glitch, which made my name a glitched name, and after another battle the game froze and I was back at route one in the same spot as my first save state. Is it possible it reverted 2 save states? Thanks!

Re: Is it possible?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-06-13 19:58:53
Hi SuperGlitchy.

When the game froze did you reset it and select Continue?

If Route 1 was the last location where you opened the start menu and selected 'save', it's normal for the game to place you in Route 1 because when you select Continue, the game loads data from the physical battery save to determine your location and coordinates, rather than an external save state.

You mention being at Route 1 with Magneton and at Route 1 at the first spot as your first save state. Do you mean that those were separate save files?

Loading a save state will overwrite the last battery save to the previous battery save when you wrote the save-state. If you saved from the menu more than once, then its possible for the emulator to overwrite the save file back to an older one when you select an earlier save state.

I'd also like to mention something else:

On TGB Dual closing the window does not update the battery save after saving until you choose 'reset' or the game resets through itself e.g. after watching the game credits. This means its possible for the save file to not update even if you successfully 'saved'.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: SuperGlitchy
Date: 2012-06-13 20:19:41
Yes, I did.

As for the Magneton part, no. That was also the same file. (I caught it so I didn't have to see .4's Pokédex entry.)  Yet, I'm pretty sure what happened to the save was what you said about the emulator over writing with the older save file.

The save file was already destroyed 30 minutes ago from me saving in a major glitch state.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question, I just thought it was really weird for that to happen.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-06-13 21:14:53

Yes, I did.

As for the Magneton part, no. That was also the same file. (I caught it so I didn't have to see .4's Pokédex entry.)  Yet, I'm pretty sure what happened to the save was what you said about the emulator over writing with the older save file.

The save file was already destroyed 30 minutes ago from me saving in a major glitch state.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question, I just thought it was really weird for that to happen.

You're welcome.

Well, that kind of thing normally doesn't happen unless, say:

1) You hard-save the game at Route 1 and also make a save state at 'save state 1'.
2) You hard-save the game at Viridian City and also make a save state at 'save state 2'.
3) If you choose Load Slot/State 1, then the game would erase your second save file at Viridian City and replace it with the Route 1 save file to load the save state, so next time selecting 'Continue' would take you to Route 1 again.

Do you remember something like that happening?