Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Dunno if this happened before (Yellow) - Page 1

Dunno if this happened before (Yellow)

Posted by: nemesish
Date: 2012-06-16 12:46:42
So, I wanted to trade some pokes from Crystal to Yellow
These were Steelix, Kingdra, Scizor. Blissey and Porygon2, so I used a GS code to change them to their pre-evolutions (Onix, Seadra, Chansey, Scyther and Porygon)
I traded them, and until now, all OK.

The thing is thaw when I withdrew them from my PC's box, 4 of them…
-were at Lv1
-had: atk-6, def-6, spd-5 and spec-6 as stats
-Exp. points: 108751 (the ones it had when I received it at lv50. This is Chansey's case, it's different for the other 3)
-Level Up: 668471 (Same as above, also Chansey's case)

Seadra, Chansey, Scyther and Porygon were the only ones afected. Everything's fine with Onix.

I can level up them with Rare Candy's but when they win exp, they return to Lv1

Does anybody know if there's a solution to this?

Re: Dunno if this happened before (Yellow)

Posted by: liline
Date: 2012-06-16 14:38:39
Yes,once i had something like that(sorry, french is my mothertongue,so I don't speak well english)
I caught a ptera-style missingno(with the image from the museum in the 3rd town) and trained it,it reacted so:first i gave it candies until it went to level 0 i think,i don't remember,then i tried to train it with fights. But training made it go to levels 7,1,95,100,91,99 but i don't remember in which order but everytime like this,sometimes 7,sometimes 95,then 100,then 1,then 95……that was on a french blue version

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-06-20 09:15:46

So, I wanted to trade some pokes from Crystal to Yellow
These were Steelix, Kingdra, Scizor. Blissey and Porygon2, so I used a GS code to change them to their pre-evolutions (Onix, Seadra, Chansey, Scyther and Porygon)
I traded them, and until now, all OK.

The thing is thaw when I withdrew them from my PC's box, 4 of them…
-were at Lv1
-had: atk-6, def-6, spd-5 and spec-6 as stats
-Exp. points: 108751 (the ones it had when I received it at lv50. This is Chansey's case, it's different for the other 3)
-Level Up: 668471 (Same as above, also Chansey's case)

Seadra, Chansey, Scyther and Porygon were the only ones afected. Everything's fine with Onix.

I can level up them with Rare Candy's but when they win exp, they return to Lv1

Does anybody know if there's a solution to this?

I was able to replicate your problem. I think it's because you might have used a single code for each Pokémon. 
On your Pokémon Yellow save, if you place Seadra, Chansey, Scyther or Porygon in the first position and use the GameShark codes 01??63D1, 01??6AD1 (where ?? is the Pokémon's Generation I index number for both values) this should revert the Pokémon back to normal after you store it in the box. Keep both codes on, and then disable them after you hear your Pokémon's cry. The current HP will not change, but your Pokémon's level and stats may change due to the box trick.
You might want to do this for Onix as well, as I think it's still an unstable hybrid Pokémon using part of Pkmn (F7)'s data, so you won't be able to trade it back to Generation II game.

I hope this works for you.

I'm really sorry for the relatively late reply, as I took some time researching how this works. It seems like you just demonstrated a potential new glitch. It should be possible without cheating because it's possible to obtain unstable hybrid Pokémon in Generation II.

You might know about the Johto guard glitch. Well this glitch basically allows for the same outcome without the need of ????? (FF) (at least in Japanese Gold/Silver where the Bug Catching Contest glitch is possible). This is because the Bug Catching Contest glitch changes only the first species byte, and the first species byte is the only one that matters to let you into the Time Capsule. The only real difference is that you can only ever have the second part of the species byte change in a similar way to the Pokémon merge glitch (Charizard 'M/Q glitch).

All Pokémon but Steelix reverted back to level 1 because of an interesting set of events.
Specifically, Kingdra (as Seadra) adapted the experience group of Missingno. (hex: 79),  Scizor (as Scyther) adapted the experience group of Missingno. (hex: 1F), Blissey (as Chansey) adapted the experience group of Missingno. (hex: A2), Porygon2 (as Porygon) adapted the experience group of Missingno. (hex:86) and Steelix (as Onix) adapted the experience group of PkMn (hex: F7). As you can see, this is the same conversion that happens with the Johto guard glitch. Now if you deposit them into the Daycare Center, they'll turn into the above Pokémon.

It's far too difficult to train most of those Pokémon in Pokémon Yellow, therefore they revert back to level 1 when you deposit them in the box (see also: box trick), however Onix will grow at the rate that it normally would because Pokémon Yellow's PkMn (hex: F7) is a hybrid glitch Pokémon of Bulbasaur. Hybrid glitch Pokémon use the growth algorithm of real Pokémon. Both Bulbasaur and Onix use the medium-slow growth pattern in Pokémon Yellow (1.2 (n^3) - 15 (n^2) + 100n - 140). Note what's confusing is that in Pokémon Red/Blue, Onix originally used the medium-fast algorithm.

01??D8DC and 01??DFDC can be used to change the species of the first Pokémon in Pokémon Crystal, but both codes must be used to make sure that the Pokémon is stable.

It might be that you only set the first one (DCD8). If you change DCD8 to a non-Johto Pokémon, the game will let you take it into the Time Capsule, but if DCD8 doesn't match the second byte (DFDC) the game will wrongly convert the 'real species' if it matches a Johto Pokémon after the Pokémon is traded to Generation I.
I daycare.

To clarify things, I'll go through what these values change:

In Pokémon Crystal, the first byte (DCD8) changes the Pokémon's in-battle sprite, Pokédex number, growth pattern, effective typing in battle, learnpool and the level that it will evolve depending on the value. It also defines what the Pokémon will revert back to when you take it into the DayCare Center.
The second byte (DCDF) doesn't change as many things as DCD8, defining the Pokémon's menu sprite and 'real name'.

The equivalent codes for Yellow are 01??63D1 and 01??6BD1. Confusingly, they work a little different than in Generation I. D1D3 changes the Pokédex number, menu/user sprite, evolution and learnset  (D1D3).
The second byte  (D16B) controls the Pokémon you retrieve from Day Care Center, the palette of the Pokémon in battle but not its sprite and in-battle typing.

So in Pokémon Yellow when you take a Pokémon into Daycare the Pokémon you receive depends on the second byte (e.g. 01??6BD1), and in Pokémon Crystal when you take a Pokémon into the DayCare the Pokémon you receive depends on the first byte. (01??D8DC).

Yes,once i had something like that(sorry, french is my mothertongue,so I don't speak well english)
I caught a ptera-style missingno(with the image from the museum in the 3rd town) and trained it,it reacted so:first i gave it candies until it went to level 0 i think,i don't remember,then i tried to train it with fights. But training made it go to levels 7,1,95,100,91,99 but i don't remember in which order but everytime like this,sometimes 7,sometimes 95,then 100,then 1,then 95……that was on a french blue version

Hi liline, welcome to the forums! Don't worry, your English is fine.

The fossil and ghost Missingno. are known to adapt the data of other Pokémon, for example sometimes placing a Pokémon above it gives it the TM/HM compatibility and growth rate of that Pokémon. I don't know exactly how this works, but it seems to be something similar, and as if you're changing that Pokémon's second species byte. You might notice that the level the Pokémon grows therefore depends on the growth algorithm assigned to that last Pokémon.

Date: 2012-06-20 12:04:17
[quote:Torchickens]The fossil and ghost Missingno. are known to adapt the data of other Pokémon, for example sometimes placing a Pokémon above it gives it the TM/HM compatibility and growth rate of that Pokémon. I don't know exactly how this works, but it seems to be something similar, and as if you're changing that Pokémon's second species byte. You might notice that the level the Pokémon grows therefore depends on the growth algorithm assigned to that last Pokémon.

Ouch! Stop, it's too hard for me! I don't understand the most important!("just tell me when I must fight,but don't explain me the mission,I won't get it")

Date: 2012-06-20 15:36:22

Ouch! Stop, it's too hard for me! I don't understand the most important!("just tell me when I must fight,but don't explain me the mission,I won't get it")

You can keep a Pokémon that is strong but easy to level-up at the bottom of the party each time you enter battle with Ptera Missingno. A Fossil or Ghost Missingno. should copy most of this Pokémon's attributes, including how it levels up.

Try arranging your Pokémon in this order:

1) Ptera Missingno. (hex: B7)
2-5) Any Pokémon
6) Example: Mew (Psy), (l'expérience au niveau 100 = 1,059,860)

This gives you a Psy type Missingno. that grows at the same speed as Mew. As long as you keep the same Pokémon at the bottom of the party, its level shouldn't change. Be careful about putting the Pokémon in a box, because it could change the level.

I'm sorry for not being clear.

I hope this answers your question.

Date: 2012-06-20 15:47:24
Aaaaaaah,okay!!! Now I understand many things I noticed…but what if in place of the Mew, it was another missingno?

Date: 2012-06-20 16:23:37

Aaaaaaah,okay!!! Now I understand many things I noticed…but what if in place of the Mew, it was another missingno?

Both Missingno. (hex: B6, B7 or B8) would copy the attributes of the fifth Pokémon.

Example 1:

Ptera Missingno.  (hex: B7)
Mew
Dracaufeu (Charizard)
Kabutops Missingno. (hex: B6)

In this example, 'Ptera Missingno. grows at the same speed as Dracaufeu and becomes the Feu/Vol types. This is also true for 'Kabutops Missingno.'

Example 2:

Dracaufeu
Mew
Ghost Missingno. (hex:B8)

In this example, Ghost Missingno. grows at the same speed as Mew and becomes the Psy type.

Example 3:

Dracaufeu
Mew
Ptera Missingno. 1 (hex: B7)
Ptera Missingno. 2 (hex: B7)

This time both "Ptera Missingno. 1" and "Ptera Missingno. 2" grow at the same speed as Mew and become the Psy type.

Date: 2012-06-20 23:56:49
Okay, now I understand…
What strange creatures…

Date: 2012-06-21 13:04:24
Thanks for the replies everybody.
Got some more info.

Tried something w/ this pokes, so I sent them to the day-care and those 5 became MISSINGNO. (not M', or 4 poke or any other glitch) with the moves they had as the other pokes

Did the same with Onix and noted some curious things:
-while on-box he has his Onix stats (more defense than anything), but when I withdraw it, it's stats change (more Special and Attack than anything and less HP than in-box).
-Sent him too to the day care and got back a PKMN (or Glitchy Gray Bleeping Bulbasaur as I call him)

Date: 2012-06-21 13:17:51

Got some more info.

Tried something w/ this pokes, so I sent them to the day-care and those 5 became MISSINGNO. (not M', or 4 poke or any other glitch) with the moves they had as the other pokes

-while on-box he has his Onix stats (more defense than anything), but when I withdraw it, it's stats change (more Special and Attack than anything and less HP than in-box).
-Sent him too to the day care and got back a PKMN (or Glitchy Gray Bleeping Bulbasaur as I call him)

Thanks for the information, that explains a lot. This confirms they match up with values from the Johto guard glitch, so one part of your Onix still pulled Steelix's data (hex: D0), and when you transfer Steelix to Pokémon Yellow, it turns into PKMN (hex: F7). I think you must have forgot to use both codes (01??D8DC, 01??DFDC)

I can try getting an unstable Pokémon with the Bug Catching Contest glitch in Japanese Gold/Silver (I'll make a Generation I Pokémon with a Generation II Pokémon's details), and this way will turn into the equivalent glitch Pokémon when you take it into Generation I's DayCare. This let's us transfer Johto Pokémon into Generation I without ?????.

Okay, now I understand…
What strange creatures…

Yeah. It seems strange.

I know that the sprites are used in the Pokémon Tower and Pewter Museum, but I'm wondering why they specifically copy data? I have noticed via memory viewer that the second value in the species data (01??64D1 01??6BD1) never changes.

B6, B7 and B8 copy data from:

1) Whatever Pokémon is at the bottom of the party.
2) The last Pokémon that you encountered in battle.

3) And if you force a Pokémon in the room as soon as you start a new game

01FF96D1, 01FF64D1, 01B76AD1, 01B763D1, 01FF69D1, 010162D1

This Pokémon will copy the attributes of Pikachu because it was the Pokémon shown on Professor Oak's introduction.

This is what you get after levelling it to Level 100.

[img]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/Torchickens/B7MissingnoonlyPokemon.png[/img]

Note that this is the stats you get for a Pikachu at level 100 with minimum stat experience and DVs.

I don't know how it would work if you skipped directly in to the game with a special Missingno. as your only Pokémon.

Date: 2012-06-21 14:34:45

Got some more info.

Thanks for the information, that explains a lot. This confirms they match up with values from the Johto guard glitch, so one part of your Onix still pulled Steelix's data (hex: D0), and when you transfer Steelix to Pokémon Yellow, it turns into PKMN (hex: F7). I think you must have forgot to use both codes (01??D8DC, 01??DFDC)

Since I haven't saved after receiving him from the Day Care, I'm gonna try to trade it back to Crystal and apply the 01??DFDC code and post if it worked.

Date: 2012-06-21 14:35:25
And do you know why the images of opponents are strange when using missingno and why the icon of missingno is different in different places(I don't remember but to give a false example:in pallet town it could be an old man and when it moves it is a shell)

Date: 2012-06-21 16:57:51
Sadly no.
Maybe it's random data that Missingno needs for it's icon and it depends on where are you.

Update about GlitchyBulbaOnix:
It can't be traded back to Crystal.