Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pikachu Desync Glitch in Yellow Version? - Page 1

Pikachu Desync Glitch in Yellow Version?

Posted by: gnsquared
Date: 2012-06-25 19:21:30
I was playing this, on an emulator of course, and I was holding down the spacebar to speed it up because I wanted to get through quickly. I had just battled a Channeler, who knocked out most of my Pokemon including my Pikachu. I was going too fast to see what happened, but I walked into the Purification Zone from the right side, and somehow my Pikachu got desynced from me and was walking a space away. At this point I stopped holding down the spacebar and started to record (unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to make a savestate here) and of course like an idiot I walk right back into the Purification Zone, which ended the glitch. So unfortunately I only have these few seconds of footage to show for it, I have no idea how it happened, and I am completely unable to replicate it, try as I might, but here you go. I encourage others to mess around with this to try to see if you can get it to happen again intentionally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h0HC9RAnFg

If this glitch is due to an emulation error or if it's already well known, I apologize.

Re: Pikachu Desync Glitch in Yellow Version?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-06-25 20:22:41

I was playing this, on an emulator of course, and I was holding down the spacebar to speed it up because I wanted to get through quickly. I had just battled a Channeler, who knocked out most of my Pokemon including my Pikachu. I was going too fast to see what happened, but I walked into the Purification Zone from the right side, and somehow my Pikachu got desynced from me and was walking a space away. At this point I stopped holding down the spacebar and started to record (unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to make a savestate here) and of course like an idiot I walk right back into the Purification Zone, which ended the glitch. So unfortunately I only have these few seconds of footage to show for it, I have no idea how it happened, and I am completely unable to replicate it, try as I might, but here you go. I encourage others to mess around with this to try to see if you can get it to happen again intentionally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h0HC9RAnFg

If this glitch is due to an emulation error or if it's already well known, I apologize.

It's interesting that you should mention this.  :)

I once read about this glitch on the French website PRAMA Initiative, where it was submitted by Liline.

I tried it a long time ago, but I wasn't able to get it to work.  Apparently, Pikachu must faint before you walk on the bottom-right rune.

Coincidentally, Liline joined our forums several days ago. Maybe Liline could help you get the glitch to work?

No need to apologize. It's always helpful to spread information for those who don't know about something.

There really aren't many glitches that are particularly 'well-known'. The Pokémon glitch community is relatively small. I feel, that a lot of the time when something is added on to Bulbapedia it gives the impression that a glitch is well-known, but Missingno., cloning and Tweaking are perhaps some of the only glitches known to Pokémon fans without much research, and when people do talk about glitches, it's often only in a brief context, such as how to perform the glitch.

Date: 2012-06-25 22:06:07
I'm glad to hear I wasn't bothering anyone by posting this here :)

Interesting, I've had a really hard time getting this to work again. No matter what angle I try from when I step on that rune with Pikachu fainted, he hasn't desynced from me. I'll fiddle around with it some more and see if I can get it to happen again.

Posted by: liline
Date: 2012-06-26 00:16:14
Yes, definitely, I discovered it first! Quite proud… but no need to run fast upon the zone

Date: 2012-06-26 14:47:07
AHA! I got it to happen on demand. Basically when I was doing in the first time, I never let go of the left arrow key, and I repeatedly tapped A. When I tried to do it again, I always stopped and then cautiously took at step to see if it worked. All you have to do is step on that spot and never let go of the arrow key, so it doesn't give the game time to load Pikachu properly before you start moving.

Date: 2012-06-27 05:31:08

AHA! I got it to happen on demand. Basically when I was doing in the first time, I never let go of the left arrow key, and I repeatedly tapped A. When I tried to do it again, I always stopped and then cautiously took at step to see if it worked. All you have to do is step on that spot and never let go of the arrow key, so it doesn't give the game time to load Pikachu properly before you start moving.

Awesome. That probably explains why it wasn't working for me. I think I must have let go of the arrow key.

Yes, definitely, I discovered it first! Quite proud… but no need to run fast upon the zone

Does it work on a physical Game Boy? If you've only got it to work on an emulator, I could test it to see if it works on a real console.

Date: 2012-06-27 09:55:54
I've always used second hand stuffs: I had a gameboy pocket, I have a gameboy color,an advance and a nintendo DSI,and I have a red,a blue,a yellow,a gold,an emerald,a green leaf and a platin!

Concerning it, you just have to make Pika KO,then go just next to the down right corner of the rune and walk straight to the left. That's all

Date: 2012-06-27 18:07:38

Does it work on a physical Game Boy? If you've only got it to work on an emulator, I could test it to see if it works on a real console.

I could try the next time I'm that far on my Yellow version. Commenters on the YouTube video have said they've gotten it to work on their actual GameBoys though, so it's probably possible.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-06-29 02:08:09
I would assume it would work on actual hardware, since after all it has nothing to do with the gb itself, only the game. These glitches are slight oversights in the code, however this is an interesting find btw, it's great to see new glitches being discovered even now. :)

Date: 2012-06-29 02:45:52
So,is it fine for everyone?

Date: 2012-06-30 08:40:27

So,is it fine for everyone?

Works fine with my Game Boy Advance SP and copy of Yellow.

You need to hold a direction just before the message box appears (even if it doesn't match where you were going), then keep holding that direction. The step you make will trigger the glitch. You can then walk anywhere you want without holding a direction. The only exception I've found is if you run into a random encounter on that important tile (where you land after the glitch happens). This would mean you'll have to hold a button again to trigger the glitch when the battle ends.

Here's a diagram of the room.

means protected zone
/ means free space
X means 'tombstone'

[img]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/Torchickens/PKMNRuneDiagram.png[/img]

So let's say for example Pikachu is fainted and you stepped on C|C (bottom-right). The direction you walk into it doesn't matter.

Hold 'down' and keep holding it while the screen is flashing. You'll get the message "Entered purified, protected zone! (YELLOW)'s POKéMON are fully healed!" Keep holding it while you close the message box, and you'll make a step on to D|C (from now you don't have to hold any other button). You've now activated the glitch.

The glitch will work with other protected tiles as well (C|B, B|B), probably not with B|C because a Channeller blocks B|D as long as you hold a button when and before the message box pops up.

I would assume it would work on actual hardware, since after all it has nothing to do with the gb itself, only the game. These glitches are slight oversights in the code, however this is an interesting find btw, it's great to see new glitches being discovered even now. :)

Maybe you're right. I'm not very experienced with emulators and accuracy.

Some emulators don't always emulate the game properly. Versions of VisualBoyAdvance prior to VBA rerecording v20.0 apparently had a bug that involved incorrect emulation of echo RAM ($E000-$FDFF). This meant that the dokokashira door glitch would not work on most versions prior to v20.0, but it does work on BGB and TGB Dual. http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5116