Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Missingno. in Yellow - Page 1

Missingno. in Yellow

Posted by: gnsquared
Date: 2012-08-29 16:28:12
So through the Mew glitch it is possible to encounter Missingno in Yellow version by using a Pokemon with the special stats 31, 32, 61, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, or 86. Unfortunately, most attempts at encountering Missingno. this way result in the message "Missingno. is trying to learn" repeating over and over until the game eventually crashes. However, it is possible to encounter Missingno in Yellow and actually battle it normally, as demonstrated in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKiRIMDNj4A

The player demonstrates this using a Pokemon with the special stat 67, and after just 13 tries is able to battle Missingno. However, I have been trying all day without success. Are there certain conditions that must be met in order to battle Missingno in Yellow version? Suppose I made a savestate right before triggering the battle, would I be able to just load it over and over or would I need to perform the entire glitch every time to get different results?

Re: Missingno. in Yellow

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-08-29 19:02:46
Unfortunately, most attempts at encountering Missingno. this way result in the message "Missingno. is trying to learn"

On your game, maybe. MissingNo. works fine on my Yellow 80% of the time when I encounter it, even without the Extended Mew Glitch. I don't really see any truth to this if it took him/her 13 tries before YellowNo. functioned in battle properly, even if 67 is some sort of magic number.

There aren't any specifications to battle it properly, it just depends on the game. The first time I encountered YellowNo., I fought a Channeler in Lavender Tower and it appeared in battle without a problem.

I'm not sure about the savestate though, but I don't see why the outcome wouldn't be different each time it's loaded.

Date: 2012-08-29 19:18:27
Which Channeler did you battle? I battled the two on the 3rd floor and they both gave me the "Missingno. is trying to learn" thing.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2012-08-29 19:47:49
I first did this in like 2006 so I can't really say, other than "whichever one I hadn't fought yet," I guess.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-08-30 00:05:45
It seems to change everytime you attempt to do this in Yellow. I've made a video on YT encountering it on my first try with luck, that's all it really comes down to I believe. I didn't get the chance to check what goes on in RAM when you encounter it, though maybe I should see what changes to get a better idea of how to encounter it without making the game crash and or freeze.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-08-30 02:33:37
On VBA most likely it crashes right after the Missingno.'s sprite appears. (at least in that old stable version 1.7.2) I haven't tried glitching Yellow though, so I can't say anything about save states yet.

Date: 2012-08-30 12:11:26
I have now tried this with every single Channeler in Pokemon Tower and I haven't gotten one that doesn't give me the "Missingno. is trying to learn" message. When you try it Raven Freak, do you try it on the same trainer over and over?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-08-30 19:22:26

I have now tried this with every single Channeler in Pokemon Tower and I haven't gotten one that doesn't give me the "Missingno. is trying to learn" message. When you try it Raven Freak, do you try it on the same trainer over and over?

You need luck, I've done it maybe once or twice, but the rest gave crashes or that message.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-31 22:25:49

On VBA most likely it crashes right after the Missingno.'s sprite appears. (at least in that old stable version 1.7.2) I haven't tried glitching Yellow though, so I can't say anything about save states yet.

Actually, judging by the various videos I've seen of Yellow's Missingno. causing crashes, the game crashes are related to the cry, I think.

Date: 2012-09-01 01:00:59

Yep I used to try battling the same Trainer over and over when I do this on a real cart. But when it comes down to it it's all about luck. One time I kept trying with a Jr. Trainer (Female) that's outside of Fuscia, and it eventually worked.

Posted by: wooden leg smith
Date: 2013-01-16 16:24:27
–Im new here and honestly surprised that there is a whole Forum dedicated to glitches in pokemon. but that is awesome. (thanks to RavenFreak for referring me)–

(in response to above posts): It may not rely on luck:
[I'm playing Yellow on Visual Boy Advance.]
I recently caught a Missingno (first time in yellow (with a great no less ball. It went first try no problem, the ball didnt even open up and there was no animation it just instantly said Missingno was caught)). I used the gambler on route 8 and a channler in Pokémon tower.
Funny thing is I got the 12-minute cry one with no crashing. It was nicknamed Super Repel but the nickname changes depending on my location.

I caught it and it went to my PC. Then I tried encountering another with the pokemon tower and using a ditto. I tried about 10-15 times and it crashed every time (with no-op glitch. I haven't gotten the Missingno is trying to learn message yet). Discouraged, but not beaten, I took missingno out of the PC and tried again with the tower, and it worked first time! I got one with a short cry and I caught it, no problem.

I heard someone on youtube say the game warms up to Missingno, making it less likley to crash more you encounter, but perhaps it has something to do with whether its in your party or not? Or the type of Missingno you have Does anyone have info on this?
I also have a question; I cant release Super repel, the game freezes when I try, which isnt good. Is there any other way of getting rid of it?

On another note; later I realized the first one Super Repel (who always had the cry of Rhydon but glitched type) now actually looks like a Rhydon and is rock/ground. This missingno seems stranger than the average missingno, I have to do more investigating.

Date: 2013-01-16 23:48:12
Cool great to see you here as well! :) Perhaps you could make a video to show us Super Repel? Because when I was younger I would always fly away from the Gambler and would battle a channler in Pokemon Tower and never experienced this before. (Though I can't tell you how many times i've seen the "Missingno. is trying to learn" text… >.<)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-01-17 09:26:37
Strange… Did you have to go through the Pokedex entry after catching Super Repel? If you did, it's a Rhydon/Missingno. hybrid. Try depositing it and taking it out from the daycare and see if it reverts back to a Missingno., which should be releasable.

Date: 2013-01-17 18:51:08
I didnt go through a pokedex entry. I took it to the day-care. It seemed to change it at first, its image in battle became a normal missingno. (it looks like a yellow Rhydon before) It also has a normal/glitch type now. But it still glitches up my pokemon menu. *see below
EDIT: I can release super repel now. So it must have done something…

A very bizarre thing happens with this missingno I havent heard of before: the more experience it gets, the more it needs to level up ?? Also it glitches up my pokemon screen. Random terrain graphics appear behind the pokemon and numbers. Also it take a long time for the pokemon menu to load.
Another odd thing: it doesn't screw up the in-battle graphics like reversing the opponent that most missingnos do.

I know its different than other missingnos (at least other missingnos that Ive caught).
I caught a Kabutops fossil Missingo, at level 7. I was able to level it up to 8. In stats, it looks like Rhydon again but it knows headbut, amnesia and rest; the moves Snorlax knows by default and is fighting type. It does not glitch up my pokemon screen and doesnt crash the game.

also- I tested my earlier statements about having missingno in your party and it looks like I may be wrong. I tried getting a third missingno, both with the tower and using ditto. With no missingnos in my party, with one, and with both, but it kept crashing. (this time I got red and white stripes more often than unknown-op code however..) So idk
edit: the other people above that had problems; (quote: 'I tried every channeler in pokemon tower and it crashes') just makes me think it relies on  something else. Maybe what you do/ place you go before going to pokemon tower?

I can make a short video of Super repel in battle and stuff. I'll try to make one of my encounters as well, maybe that will help. I sure am having a hard time getting them.

Date: 2013-01-17 20:35:16
here is a video of it in battle. as you can see it's required exp to get to next level go up after battling. [This was before taking it to the Daycare]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETGhOBOO8nQ