Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Not really a glitch, but maybe an oversight (R/B/Y) - Page 1

Not really a glitch, but maybe an oversight (R/B/Y)

Posted by: 46664
Date: 2012-12-17 20:27:46
Turns out if you get 150 (one being Mew instead of one of the first 150) you still get your diploma.  Just a little thing I tested out.  Wanted to see if anything happened.  I got a diploma without having Magmar (thanks Mew). :P

Re: Not really a glitch, but maybe an oversight (R/B/Y)

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-12-17 20:47:37
You weren't supposed to get mew ever really, except as a special secret.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2012-12-17 21:30:27
Probably an oversight, since yeah you're not really supposed to get Mew.
Speaking of Magmar, I always forgot it was a first gen pokemon. :P

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-12-18 12:52:53
I think technically you were only supposed to get Mew during a special event, and not by any other means. :P Hence the code only checks to see if you have 150 species registered in the Pokedex, instead of 151. You could technically miss one Pokemon and still the game will assume you have caught 'em all! Even then they should have changed that bit of code, because i'm sure there were people who got Mew through official means at one point. :V I'm sure this code will work in Green and Red too, but for S's and G's I might try it out. xD

Date: 2012-12-19 12:27:07

I think technically you were only supposed to get Mew during a special event, and not by any other means. :P Hence the code only checks to see if you have 150 species registered in the Pokedex, instead of 151. You could technically miss one Pokemon and still the game will assume you have caught 'em all! Even then they should have changed that bit of code, because i'm sure there were people who got Mew through official means at one point. :V I'm sure this code will work in Green and Red too, but for S's and G's I might try it out. xD

I'm assuming Nintendo had events for you to link up and get Mew? I wonder if there's anyone out there who has a legitmate Mew…probably. It's just I've heard more about going through glitches to get Mew as opposed to the 'official' way. I've never read/heard of any specific events where they gave out Mew for RBY but I'm sure it happened. Or they planned on doing a special event and it never happened…
Now I really wanna go play Blue and do the Mew Glitch for some reason. :D

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2012-12-20 05:37:22

I've never read/heard of any specific events where they gave out Mew for RBY but I'm sure it happened. Or they planned on doing a special event and it never happened…

Yes. If you're interested in reading about them Bulbapedia have a list of Mew events in Generation I here.

If you follow the external links there are links to some old pages talking about them such as the Pokémon.com official Toys 'R Us page.

The earliest is apparently Nintendo Spaceworld 1997 Mew event in Japan. North America got Mew from Toys 'R Us, Nintendo Power and the Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour. Here's a thread from the Azure Heights forum (16/5/00) talking about Mew from the Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour.

Date: 2012-12-22 13:34:28

I've never read/heard of any specific events where they gave out Mew for RBY but I'm sure it happened. Or they planned on doing a special event and it never happened…

Yes. If you're interested in reading about them Bulbapedia have a list of Mew events in Generation I here.

If you follow the external links there are links to some old pages talking about them such as the Pokémon.com official Toys 'R Us page.

The earliest is apparently Nintendo Spaceworld 1997 Mew event in Japan. North America got Mew from Toys 'R Us, Nintendo Power and the Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour. Here's a thread from the Azure Heights forum (16/5/00) talking about Mew from the Pokémon 2000 Stadium Tour.

Whoa that's so cool, thanks! :D Idk why I never discovered more about these events before.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2012-12-28 18:35:39
Well, none of the other games count Pokemon you can only get through special events so why would G/R/B/Y?

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-12-28 19:07:09

Well, none of the other games count Pokemon you can only get through special events so why would G/R/B/Y?

Because of the way the older games were programmed. ;) The older games are written in z80 asm and the GB didn't have too much memory being an 8-bit handheld, which is probably why they needed to program Mew the same way as the other Pokemon. The game probably would have been even more glitchy than it is now.