Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

An addendum to the Fossil conversion glitch - Page 1

An addendum to the Fossil conversion glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-03-14 11:10:13
There is a bad side effect to the Fossil conversion glitch that I didn't know of until recently when somebody commented in my video that he only got three Fly locations after performing the glitch.

This is because byte D68A (fly byte 1), and D68B (fly byte 2) are changed to the switched Pokémon's fourth move and Trainer ID byte 1 (a multiple of 256) respectively.

If 'fly byte 1' is invalid, the game will most likely freeze when you open the Fly menu.

[img]http://i.minus.com/j1g5ictdi8lYT.png[/img]

Therefore, you have to make sure that 'fly byte 1' is valid. I recommend 7F (Waterfall) (Goldeen learns it at level 37 and Seaking learns it at level 39) - which will give you at worst (with the Player ID byte 1 as 00) Saffron City, Fuschia City and the Pokémon League omitted, and at best only Fuschia City omitted.

Having move 4 as FF is unfortunately impossible, unless there's a certain glitch Pokémon that learns it but trying to switch it to position 4 could probably mess up the game.

Here are a list of valid Fly location IDs. I missed out the ones that skip certain towns and invalid ones that bring up a freeze like the screenshot above:

Pallet Town only: 01, 00
Pallet Town, Virdian City: 03, 00
Pallet Town, Virdian City, Pewter City: 07, 00
Pallet Town, Virdian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City: 0F, 00
Pallet Town, Virdian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town: 1F, 00
Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Vermilion City: 3F, 00
Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Vermilion City, Celadon City: 7F, 00
Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Vermilion City, Celadon City, Fuschia City: FF, 00
Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Vermilion City, Celadon City, Fuschia City, Cinnabar Island: FF, 01
Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Vermilion City, Celadon City, Fuschia City, Cinnabar Island, Pokémon League: FF, 03
Pallet Town, Viridian City, Pewter City, Cerulean City, Lavender Town, Vermilion City, Celadon City, Fuschia City, Cinnabar Island, Pokémon League, Saffron City: FF, 07

Apparently, another bad side effect of the glitch is not being able to Surf, due to getting the 'と できな' message unless you use the ????? (07h) item, obtainable with the make your own items glitch. I haven't been able to replicate this myself, even though the music does initially tend to change to the cycling theme. Does anyone know why the not being able to Surf side effect happens?

Re: An addendum to the Fossil conversion glitch

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-03-15 01:43:41
Is that the "Cycling is fun! Forget SURFing!" message? I got the same thing when messing with 3906. I couldn't get off the bike by using the bicycle item, and the cycling road guard stated that I wasn't on a bike (she checks whether you have a bike in the inventory). Could it be related to the fly bytes as well?

EDIT: Messing with 3906 changes the fly bytes (D70B-D70C) to F8, 19. I tried manually changing only these two bytes, but I could still surf.

There's a byte D700, which is normally 00 while walking. 01 means on bike, 02 means surfing, 03 or higher is the same as 01 though you don't ride on a bicycle (the music still plays). But you can still surf with that byte changed.

As that message only shows when you're on the cycling road, could it be that the game considers you on the cycling road?

Date: 2013-03-15 08:31:47

Is that the "Cycling is fun! Forget SURFing!" message? I got the same thing when messing with 3906. I couldn't get off the bike by using the bicycle item, and the cycling road guard stated that I wasn't on a bike (she checks whether you have a bike in the inventory). Could it be related to the fly bytes as well?

EDIT: Messing with 3906 changes the fly bytes (D70B-D70C) to F8, 19. I tried manually changing only these two bytes, but I could still surf.

There's a byte D700, which is normally 00 while walking. 01 means on bike, 02 means surfing, 03 or higher is the same as 01 though you don't ride on a bicycle (the music still plays). But you can still surf with that byte changed.

As that message only shows when you're on the cycling road, could it be that the game considers you on the cycling road?

Oops, actually I made a mistake. 'と できな' (You can't get off here.") is the message you get when you try to use the Bicycle again. The Japanese message for "Cycling is fun! Forget SURFing!" is 'っくの くぐ!  なみのは と'

For some reason after I switched the Pokémon D67F was changed to 24h (which is most likely the equivalent byte you mentioned for the Japanese versions). I still don't know why he got the 'っくの くぐ!  なみのは と' message, though.

Posted by: Alexfou4
Date: 2013-06-08 05:33:24
Hello ~

It is me that commented your video. I still can't surf, but using the surfboard, I got trough different cities, and as soon as I visited them, the fly data came back and erased the corrupted location (up Indigo Plateau).

Select Glitch is such a random bitch and I think its effects are very various depending on many things. The fact that I cannot surf anymore annoys me. :/

Date: 2013-06-08 07:52:24

Hello ~

It is me that commented your video. I still can't surf, but using the surfboard, I got trough different cities, and as soon as I visited them, the fly data came back and erased the corrupted location (up Indigo Plateau).

Select Glitch is such a random b***h and I think its effects are very various depending on many things. The fact that I cannot surf anymore annoys me. :/

That's good to know you got your Fly data back. I'm sorry to hear about you still being unable to Surf without ?????. I wasn't able to replicate that. Did you do this on an emulator or a real cartridge? If you have a save file just before the glitch I could investigate it for you if you like.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-06-08 09:04:45
Try walking in and exiting Cycling Road. It might work

Posted by: Alexfou4
Date: 2013-06-09 05:07:16
I did this on a real cartridge, and no, even after going/living the cycling road, I cannot use surf.