Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Finite Amount of Trainer Fly Glitch? - Page 1

Finite Amount of Trainer Fly Glitch?

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2013-04-27 13:32:49
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the glitch, but in order to get your start menu back, you must battle a trainer that walks up to you, correct?
there are only a finite about of trainers in the game and the only ones that rebattle you are the elite four, who don't walk up to you (and therefore freeze the game)
while you can lose to the trainer, it restricts you to bringing a terribly weak pokemon. is there any other way to do this glitch infinitely without losing?

Re: Finite Amount of Trainer Fly Glitch?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-04-27 14:11:36

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the glitch, but in order to get your start menu back, you must battle a trainer that walks up to you, correct?
there are only a finite about of trainers in the game and the only ones that rebattle you are the elite four, who don't walk up to you (and therefore freeze the game)
while you can lose to the trainer, it restricts you to bringing a terribly weak pokemon. is there any other way to do this glitch infinitely without losing?

I believe you can just change boxes (saving the game) and reset before battling the Elite Four to get your start menu back. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this, though.

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2013-04-27 14:20:42

I believe you can just change boxes (saving the game) and reset before battling the Elite Four to get your start menu back. Not sure if I'm misunderstanding this, though.

wouldn't that cause a zero error? Does the trainer fly glitch persist through saving and resetting the game?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-04-27 15:01:02

wouldn't that cause a zero error? Does the trainer fly glitch persist through saving and resetting the game?

No. 'ERROR' messages ('error' messages in Yellow) only appear when the game loads a 00h character in the middle of a text string. They can appear via Trainer-Fly glitch i.e. on Route 6 for 'glitch messages' greater than the valid values. Route 6 only has valid messages ranging from 00h-07h. The actual error code is the identifier of the text box. You can see this by tracking the memory address CF13. For example, the PokéMart sign message in Vermilion City has an identifier of 09h so if you return to Route 6 after doing the Trainer-Fly glitch and fighting a Trainer with that text box as the last message in memory, you'll get a '9 ERROR'

I just checked and found that the glitch does persist through changing boxes, but you must fight a Trainer afterwards, otherwise the start button won't pop up when you return to the location where you performed the Trainer-Fly glitch.

After you beat your rival and return to the location where you performed the Trainer-Fly the start button will pop up, but you must encounter a wild Pokémon before going there, because otherwise although the start button will pop up, nothing will happen when you close it (maybe this happens when you do the Trainer-Fly glitch with a special of 256 too?)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-04-28 00:23:28

This image explains all. After resetting the RAM is cleared so you need to encounter a Pokemon to make it work.