Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Super Glitch Documentation (SG's effects in German Blau Version) - Page 1

Super Glitch Documentation (SG's effects in German Blau Version)

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-06-13 01:05:05
Ah the infamous glitch we all know about Super Glitch, I've decided to "teach" super glitch to my Rhydon in German Blau version to document what variants of this move are dangerous, or flat out annoying. Now it's in text format but maybe I will make videos of each move in action later. I know there's a very outdated thread here talking about this glitch, but of course in the English versions and not too much research was going on. (I know Tombstoner documented some oddities while using the Cooltrainer move, however stated in SG's wiki article that technically wasn't a SG move…) I've documented the effects and PP of each SG move found in the German equivalent of Blue version. The most interesting forms are hB4, hB5, hB7, and hB8. I'm going to further research these moves as they cause the most interesting effects IMO, but until then here is the complete list of SG moves! This will also give you a sense of what moves cause damage to your file or if it's harmless. (Note that the hex values I listed above can cause damage to the save file while every other equilvalent either crashes the game, freezes the game, or simply acts like a legit move…)
==Superglitch Blau research==
Use code 01xx78D1 to change your first Pokemon's first move.

Attack ID: AC
Effect In Battle:If it hits the opponent, it plays Sing's animation.
PP: 30
Harmless or Harmful?: Harmless

Attack ID: AD
Effect in Battle: unknown, accuracy is poor but it does prevent the player from pressing b
to escape the party pokemon screen in battle and in the overworld... to fix it look at the stats
of a Pokemon...
PP: 8? (cloaked by type shows up as 8 in status screen...)
Harmless or Harmful?: Harmless but a bit annoying...

Attack ID: AE
Effect in battle: causes graphical glitches, freezes game
pp: 15
harmless or harmful?: harmless, but causes a game freeze after looking at the stats of the Pokemon
that knows it...

Attack ID: AF
Effect in battle: causes a crash
pp: Unknown (can't view it without the game crashing...)
harmless or harmful?: harmless, causes a crash while trying to view Pokemon's move list in overworld...

Attack ID: B0
Effect in battle: game freezes
pp: 15
harmless or harmful?: harmless, freezes game if viewed in overworld...

Attack ID: B1
effect in battle: crashes game
pp: Unknown
harmless or harmful?: harmless, crashes game in overworld though...

Attack ID: B2
effect in battle: freezes game
pp: Unknown
harmless or harmful?: harmless but crashes the game...

Attack ID: B3
effect in battle: freezes game
pp: unknown
harmless or harmful?: harmless but crashes the game most of the time... (can sometimes be viewed in
status screen)

Attack ID: B4 (seems to act like a HM move as there is a blank spot where a HM move would appear via
selecting the Pokemon with the move...)
This glitch move has a valid type Dragon!
effect in battle: causes a TMTRAINER like effect filling the screen with random vram glitchyness
and immediately after the message "Enemy[pkmn] is fast asleep!" is displayed, the game hangs however
the text TMTRAINER isn't in this version of course instead the player's name is displayed alongside
tiles from the map. We'll dub the german equilvalent Player's name effect! :V
pp:12
harmless or harmful?: harmful if used in battle since it will cause the Player's name effect, in the
overworld it acts like surf, meaning if you have koga's badge you can use this as a substitute! xD

Attack ID: B5
effect in battle: causes Player's name effect
pp:Unknown
harmless or harmful?: harmful since it changes your name.
It also redraws the map's tiles slightly to the left of the player, but can easily be avoided if the player
takes a step up, then left.
This could possibly get you stuck in a area, but this will need to be tested in different maps
of course... This glitch move also change's your Pokemon's name to yours with random pixes from
the VRAM...

Attack ID: B6
effect in battle: same as B5
PP:Unknown
Harmless or Harmful?: harmful, also trying to view it in the Pokemon's move list will make the game
freeze before even showing it's move list.

Attack ID: B7
This one also has a valid type, poison!
Effect In Battle: changes Player's name, if it does hit the opponent though it plays Waterfall's
animation... However it will prevent you from escaping and if you do catch the enemy Pokemon it will
change into a Parasect nulling out the Player's name effect! It should also be known that the type
of attack tends to vary, the first time I used the move it acted like waterfall however the second time
in a different battle it acted like double edge or take down but without the animation...
(It was a move that causes recoil damage...) It may randomly effect your pokemon giving it a random
status change as well, oddly enough if your Pokemon is effected the opponent Pokemon changes to a Hitmonchan.
PP:29
Harmless or Harmful?: The Player's name doesn't change if you either run after
using the super glitch move or capture the opponent afterwards. If another attack is used instead,
the game will trigger the Player's name effect. However if your Pokemon gets a
random status change alongside your opponent,
the game will hang immediately after the battle regardless of what you do. Also it causes the death trainer
glitch, even if your name hasn't been changed. It's best not to mess with this if you want to keep your
battery save...

Attack ID: B8
effect in battle: This move tends to be random on what effect happens. It can do normal damage without triggering
the Player's name effect while causing minor graphical glitches,
it can miss and just cause graphical glitches, or it can change the player's name.
If you scroll down to use a different move and scroll back up to the
super glitch move it's type will change from normal to a glitched type... It may also put your Pokemon
to sleep as well as the opponent Pokemon in some cases... xD
pp:unknown
harmless or harmful?: It will change the player's name to random tiles, so it will destroy your save file!

Attack ID: B9
effect in battle: Seems to be similar to hex B7
pp:unknown
harmless or harmful?: See Hex B7

Attack ID: BA
pp:15
harmless or harmful?: harmless, but crashes game...

Attack ID: BB
effect in battle: Triggers Player's Name glitch.
pp:3
harmless or harmful?: harmful

Attack ID: BC
effect in battle: Causes a text box to appear, but shows nothing but random tiles. It gets stuck
in an endless loop as well, causing the player to reset their game...
pp:8
harmless or harmful?: harmless but annoying...

Attack ID: BD
pp:25
harmless or harmful?: harmless but useless...

Attack ID: BE
Type:Flying
effect in battle: Plays fly animation, can crash the game at any random time.
harmless or harmful?: harmless but very useless

Attack ID: BF
Type: Water
effect in battle: Can crash game sometimes, misses or does damage to the opponent.
(It's attacking animation is similar to bite but plays half of tail whip's sfx alongside the animation)
pp:10
harmless or harmful?: harmless

Attack ID: C0
pp:10

Attack ID: C1

Attack ID: C2
effect in battle: It's accuracy is low but it's basically fire punch.
pp:50

Attack ID: C3
effect in battle: Plays Slam's animation twice, lowers the opponent's speed.
pp:6

B7 seems to keep changing each time I go to test it out, I am going to see how many different effects I can get so this can change at anytime.

Re: Super Glitch Documentation (SG's effects in German Blau Version)

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-06-13 13:31:34
How do I determine which SG move my glitch Pokemon has? Well this is how! (Sorry for the double post but I thought this would be useful information and didn't want to edit my first post just in case this gets looked over… :V)
How do I figure out if my glitch Pokemon has a dangerous harmful SG move? Alright
to see what SG move your pokemon has you'll need to open your battery save in a hex editor.
Major note: DO NOT insert new bytes to your save file and save it! This will corrupt your
file!
Go to address 2F2C this is where your party Pokemon data is saved. The first byte is how many
pokemon you have the next few bytes are the pokemon you have. For this example, my first Pokemon
knows the SG move and it makes it easier to determine what move it has. After the end of party marker,
the game saves your first Pokemon's data. Of course the first byte is the species, but 8 bytes away
from the species ID is the Pokemon's move list. Take a look at your Pokemon's move list. For example
I taught SG move B4 to my first Pokemon, so it's move list looks like this in hex:
B4 20 2B 24 63 (63 is the end marker)

Since B4 is the first byte in the list the Pokemon knows SG b4!
But say if a Pokemon learned SG on it's own without using codes.
Lets take a look at the German equivalent of LM4, QR4 who learned a SG move on it's own.
D1 37 64 C1
So this glitch knows SG C1!

If I remember correctly in every region the game saves Pokemon data in the same address, because I looked over my unreleased save battery notes and they were based off Midori… so this should be the same on regardless of whatever language Blue version you play.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-06-13 13:51:10
…you do realise Super Glitch's name causes a buffer overflow which can be partially controlled by opening your party?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-06-14 02:04:40

…you do realise Super Glitch's name causes a buffer overflow which can be partially controlled by opening your party?

So do you mean if you want an accurate result of each Super Glitch move, you need to make the name harmless first?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-06-14 09:25:42

So do you mean if you want an accurate result of each Super Glitch move, you need to make the name harmless first?

…well, yes, if you want to document the effects of the moves a la the TMxx/HMxx moves.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-06-15 05:47:30
Btw, Super Glitch starts from A6h.