Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Red/Blue Bicycle Glitch, newly discovered? - Page 2

Re: Pokemon Red/Blue Bicycle Glitch, newly discovered?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-06-28 08:01:24
To find the leftover bytes:
First make a save file with all bytes in the RAM set to arbitrary values. Make sure the player name is valid.
Reset and start a new game. Make a save state after the introduction. (Save state 1)

Reset and delete the save file. Start a new game and make a save state after the introduction. (Save state 2)

Compare save states 1 and 2 to see which bytes are leftover from the previous save file.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-06-28 16:49:25
I wonder what kind of other things remain in the memory after a new game?

As do I, as do I.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-07-11 15:50:12

Well, for one thing, the old save file doesn't appear to be completely overwritten when a new game is started.  In my attempts to get the save glitch to work on Red, I've found that I can start a new game, save, reset the Game Boy, select "New Game" with a save file already present, reset again, and find myself where I saved on the first save file.

And then there's my copy of Yellow, in which one save file "leaked into" another one, resulting in my having two Pikachus.  I have no idea what happened there, but it was also a result of save glitching.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-07-15 07:34:49

Well, for one thing, the old save file doesn't appear to be completely overwritten when a new game is started.  In my attempts to get the save glitch to work on Red, I've found that I can start a new game, save, reset the Game Boy, select "New Game" with a save file already present, reset again, and find myself where I saved on the first save file.

you saved after starting the second new game, too?

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-07-16 15:36:01

you saved after starting the second new game, too?

Yes, as part of an unsuccessful attempt at a save glitch.