Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Number of items underflow glitch (Generation I) - Page 1

Number of items underflow glitch (Generation I)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-08-15 15:46:30
MrWint used this trick in the latest no save corruption glitch Pokémon Blue run on TASVideos. Basically, every time you use the item stack duplication glitch (toss a stack of items above a slot with a quantity of 255), your number of items decreases by 1. If the item x255 was in the second position, you can use the glitch then keep tossing the first item listed in the pack (which will become a copy of the second item x255) until your number of items becomes 0.

Trying to sell items in the PokéMart won't work when the number of items is 0 because you get the message "You don't have anything to sell.", however, if you have an inaccessible Fresh Water, a Saffron City gatekeeper will accept it and your number of items will underflow from 0 to 255.

This is a good alternative to using the ZZAZZ glitch or Super Glitch to corrupt your number of items. Here's a video so you don't have to skip to later in his run.

To get 255 items, you can do this:

Red/Blue:
*Prepare a Poké Ball in the sixth position then encounter Missingno/'M with the Old Man glitch to get 128 Pokéballs. Throw one of them to get 127, then throw a Master Ball to catch it. The quantity will change from 127 to 255. This works because #000's encounter flag is registered when you catch the Pokémon as well as seeing it. You can also encounter Missingno. /'M twice (just toss one of the 128 items to get 127 when the first battle ends)

Red/Blue/Yellow:
*Encounter a Missingno. with the Ditto glitch/Trainer-Fly variation that gives Missingno. such as losing to Misty's Starmie in Red/Blue (note Trainers in Yellow can have different Pokémon thus different Special stats). To avoid a likely freeze from Yellow Missingno. use a special stat of 182, 183 or 184 to encounter one of the 'special Missingno.' that don't freeze the game and use one of the two aforementioned methods under the Red/Blue section to get 255 of an item.

Re: Number of items underflow glitch (Generation I)

Posted by: MrWint
Date: 2013-10-03 09:37:38
Just for the sake of completion, the Saffron City guards are not the only place you can trigger the glitch, it works with any event that removes items from your inventory. In particular, you can also do it in the Pokémon Lab on Cinnabar Island using any of the fossils.
Sadly, most of the other events give you items as well, reverting the effect (setting the item count back to 0). That is why, for example, the bike voucher or the girl on the roof of the Celadon store can't be used.

Re: Number of items underflow glitch (Generation I)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-10-03 11:02:21

Just for the sake of completion, the Saffron City guards are not the only place you can trigger the glitch, it works with any event that removes items from your inventory. In particular, you can also do it in the Pokémon Lab on Cinnabar Island using any of the fossils.
Sadly, most of the other events give you items as well, reverting the effect (setting the item count back to 0). That is why, for example, the bike voucher or the girl on the roof of the Celadon store can't be used.

Thanks for this little tidbit. Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy it here.