Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Glitches that are safe and worth performing on Pokémon Blue - Page 1

Glitches that are safe and worth performing on Pokémon Blue

Posted by: willman1400
Date: 2013-10-01 18:33:03
i need some glitches worth doing on Pokémon Blue please tell me some i do not have a game shark but am getting one soon i already have done the mew glitch but cant get the ditto trick to work please help me fix that issue

Edit by Torchickens: There were some spelling/grammar mistakes in your title. I've now fixed them for you.

Re: glitches that are safe and woth preforming on pokemon blu

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-10-03 11:53:20

i need some glitches worth doing opn pokemon blue please tell me some i do not have a game shark but am getting one soon i already have done the mew glitch but cant get the ditto trick to work please help me fix that issue

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The ditto trick is mostly the same as other Trainer-Fly glitches in that in order to get it to work you need at least one long-range Trainer, or you can lose in a wild grass patch encounter where a Trainer can see you before you get into the battle with them.

When your start menu is disabled, you need to go to another route from where you fled from the original Trainer then either defeat or lose to another Trainer. If you lose to them, you can use that Trainer again after finishing the trick. The Pokémon you encounter on returning to the original route or place depends on the Special stat of the last Pokémon in memory. This is why for the ditto trick, you need to encounter a ditto to copy the Special stat of one of your Pokémon.

You have to encounter Ditto then get it to copy your Special stat after you get your start menu back from another Trainer.

See this video.

Here are some other useful glitches from Generation I:

Old Man glitch (Red/Blue only)
Glitch City
Re-board the S.S. Anne with Surf glitch (holding Start while walking, saving and restarting then using Surf to go down)
Invulnerability glitch
Walk through walls: Easier version in Yellow, Harder version that works in Red/Blue
Skip Brock's Gym (Red/Blue only)
Capturing the Ghost (Ditto trick variant)

255 item stack duplication
Playing the Safari Zone in the dark (thanks Paco81)
Temporarily muting Kanto (thanks Chamale)
Cable Club escape glitch (requires a link cable, another game and Glitch City trick in Yellow, thanks Paco81)
Fire Spin glitch (requires a link cable, another game, thanks SloshedMail)

More here, and here.

Some harder glitches:

Item mutation with PPkMnp (Yellow only. Requires Ditto glitch with Special stat of 194, to mutate the fifth item by 20h, see the big list for item IDs. One useful item is the glitch item hex:6E ('Lg -') that can restart a battle so you can grind. You need a Super Rod (4E) for it.)
Get glitch items using the Old Man glitch (Red/Blue only. Requires player's name to have a character that results in a Trainer (third/fifth/seventh characters), see the Big List, and access to a Rocket on 11F. When 94 is sent out, the fourth item identifier is increased by 16 provided that it is not $X4 $X5 $X6 $X7 $XC $XD $XE or $XF).

I hope you get the Ditto glitch to work and find at least one of these glitches useful.

Re: glitches that are safe and woth preforming on pokemon blu

Posted by: holdjack421
Date: 2013-11-15 09:52:49
The MISSINGNO glitch is worth performing, but it may glitch your game, and the only way to fix it is to restart your save file. The old man glitch is good, as is the Amazing man glitch. You can also do the walk around with fainted pokemon, the Silph PC glitch, and the stand on a tree glitch. Hope this helps!

Re: Glitches that are safe and worth performing on Pokémon Blue

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-11-15 11:14:03

The MISSINGNO glitch is worth performing, but it may glitch your game, and the only way to fix it is to restart your save file.

This is not entirely true. Encountering Missingno. doesn't do anything too bad in Red/Blue. There are no versions where you are forced to restart your save file except maybe in Red/Green as A (Japanese 'M) can corrupt the save file, but not always.

Although sending out or encountering Missingno. or 'M in Red and Blue / Missingno. in Yellow / certain other non-hybrid glitch Pokémon in both versions does corrupt the Hall of Fame and perform a partial save (so when you reset it's still glitched) you can work around this problem by either:

a) encountering them before beating the Pokémon League or b) beating the Hall of Fame a certain number of times to 'flush' them out. I can't remember the exact number myself. I think it might be 20, but Bulbapedia's Hall of Fame article says '50'.

If you beat the league for the first time after performing the glitch, your Hall of Fame data will be 'normal' even if you have a glitch Pokémon in your party as long as you don't send it out or encounter another relevant glitch Pokémon (just viewing  their stats is fine, see also this).

Alternatively, if you have access to 8F and the boot-strapping code to the third item, this code should delete your Hall of Fame for you. (special thanks Matthew Robinson for the memory address)

Item 3 = TM34 x 234
Item 4 = TM14 x 201

WRA1: D322 EA 5C D6              ld (D683), a  : Put 00h into D683
WRA1: D325 C9                    ret

Out of experience (my memory may be flawed though, though it did happen to someone else too) A (Japanese 'M) can corrupt the save but I'm unable to replicate it and just get a blank screen when I encounter it.

Encountering non-special Missingno. on Yellow can have other side effects when it does not freeze the game, like the player character walking on the screen but I don't know of it messing up the game in a way you have to restart.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-11-15 13:27:36
Yellow Missingno. is known to corrupt save files in some cases, but it's rare.

Posted by: holdjack421
Date: 2013-11-29 11:42:52
MISSINGNO. has actually glitched my game too bad, forcing me to restart.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-11-29 15:33:44

MISSINGNO. has actually glitched my game too bad, forcing me to restart.

That probably wasn't MissingNo. It was his evil twin, FoundNo.

But srsly, the odds of our favorite error actually harming the game are slim to none. Did you perform any other glitches?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-11-29 22:32:39
MISSINGNO. wouldn't kill the game, unless you access the Hall of Fame, where some non-hybrid glitch Pokemon entries COULD further corrupt the Hall of Fame, making it VERY LONG. But this still wouldn't kill the game.