Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

MISSINGNO myth - Page 1

MISSINGNO myth

Posted by: holdjack421
Date: 2013-11-15 09:50:24
Please answer! I am a glitchmaniac, but the one that intrigues me most is MISSINGNO. I am unsure of whether or not to catch it for fear it will glitch my only Pokemon Red beyond repair, so i'm asking Glitch City Members for help.

Re: MISSINGNO myth

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-11-15 10:15:49
The only thing missingno. does to the game is mess up the hall of fame data, as well as multiply your sixth item. You can read more about missingno. on the wiki if you are curious. Now in yellow version any non fossil and ghost missingno. (so a normal missingno.) would crash the game once you encounter it, however it may not crash the game in some cases.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-11-15 12:36:25

The only thing missingno. does to the game is mess up the hall of fame data, as well as multiply your sixth item. You can read more about missingno. on the wiki if you are curious. Now in yellow version any non fossil and ghost missingno. (so a normal missingno.) would crash the game once you encounter it, however it may not crash the game in some cases.

But it still won't do anything more than make you reset your game (not the save)

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-11-15 14:12:07
The most that any glitch can do is delete your save file, and force you to restart the console.  The game cannot be glitched "beyond repair" - by definition the ROM cannot be written to.

Missingno. is pretty much harmless.  #'M Level 0 can cause your file to be erased, however.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-11-15 18:45:05

#'M Level 0 can cause your file to be erased, however.

I've heard of this, but never seen any proof of it, unless the dinks at TRsRockin's forum count.

You should check out other Glitchmons too; watch out for 4.4 though, he kicks the battle off with the critical health siren.

Date: 2013-11-15 21:58:33

I've heard of this, but never seen any proof of it, unless the dinks at TRsRockin's forum count.

My once-was Blue file is the only proof I need.  The only glitch pokémon I had caught on it were Missingno. and 'M.  I am told that Missingno. is harmless, but I heard reports that 'M wasn't.  My only viable conclusion is thus that catching level 0 'M caused it.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-11-15 22:26:09

My once-was Blue file is the only proof I need.  The only glitch pokémon I had caught on it were Missingno. and 'M.  I am told that Missingno. is harmless, but I heard reports that 'M wasn't.  My only viable conclusion is thus that catching level 0 'M caused it.

Did the save file being erased happen immediately after you caught 'M? Otherwise, it could be attributed to something else entirely (such as the cartridge being old).

As for the OP's poll, it depends on what he defines as "glitching out". I took it to mean any undesired side effects (e.g. game freezing), which is why I answered what I did.

Date: 2013-11-16 07:24:32
Thanks to everyone who answered so far, and no, i haven't caught MISSINGNO. yet, because one of my friends caught it and his game fried.

Date: 2013-11-16 19:33:29

Did the save file being erased happen immediately after you caught 'M? Otherwise, it could be attributed to something else entirely (such as the cartridge being old).

I can't even remember now.  All I know is that my save disappeared.  It still saves and loads fine several years later, so I doubt the battery was an issue.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2013-11-19 11:28:00
A level 0 'M will freeze your game if you catch it and try to grab it out of the box, but I haven't had it mess up my save at all. It's too bad that your save was deleted but you might have performed a different glitch after all it's been years since this happened. Also holdjack421 when you say your friend's game fried, does that mean the game cease to work after getting the glitch or did his save become corrupted? If the game ceased to work I doubt it was 'M or Missingno. but the cart itself could have become dirty.

Date: 2013-11-25 10:03:42
I have caught MISSINGNO. now, and to anyone else who want to catch MISSINGNO. the 6th item in your bag gets duplicated when you see MISSINGNO., so you should put rare candies in your bag to level up your MISSINGNO. You get 128 of the 6th item, and MISSINGNO. can be raised up to level 255. After that, it continues to level up, but instead of numbers, the MISSINGNO.'s level turns into one number(up to 9) and one random tile. A word of warning: if you use a MISSINGNO. in battle after level 100, it will drop back down to level 100 when it gains experience points. Also, my MISSINGNO. battled a Golbat, which used wing attack. My MISSINGNO.s health kept dropping and dropping but it wouldn't end, so I had to turn my game off and on. Just a little advice for Glitch-Hunters.

Posted by: rortik
Date: 2013-12-19 22:21:29

Only sometimes. I've only ever encountered regular missingno on Yellow, and ~15% of the time it DOESN'T crash your game.