Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

NEW GLITCH DISCOVERED!! - Page 1

NEW GLITCH DISCOVERED!!

Posted by: xtreme713ify
Date: 2013-12-11 16:31:08
I am proud to present today I've discovered a new glitch. People say you can't go out of bounds when walking through walls…but they're WRONG! You'll discover new lands similar to the familiar world of Kanto, but distinct in a special way! When I did it, there were no people, and I couldn't enter any buildings. It was very hard to manuever, the farthest I got from Viridian City is Pewter. I'll have a video on how to do it as soon as I can, because it's very specific to describe.

Re: NEW GLITCH DISCOVERED!!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-12-11 17:12:49
Going out of bounds in Generation I without freezes is not new unfortunately, but you're completely right.

All maps have boundaries and this is a normal part of gameplay for changing routes but boundaries seem to depend on relevant x and y coordinates (and maybe x block and y blocks - I don't know what these are) and not what you see on the screen.

When you reach a boundary, a new 'connection' loads if it exists. For example, when x reaches $3C (dec: 60) in Route 9, the game loads map $15 (dec: 21), which is Route 10. If a connection does not exist for a boundary (e.g. Route 9's y-boundary), the game loads map 255, which is invalid and will most likely cause a freeze (these can be called 'freeze tiles').

Connections load in two ways, 1) when you step on to a tile such that x/y reaches a certain boundary 2) if your x/y coordinate equals the boundary coordinate and you step off your current tile. (possible with maps that have larger boundaries than the map your walking into's connection location)

What happens if you don't actually step on a boundary and reach x±1 or y±1 of the boundary via a map that had a larger boundary to begin with?

You're free to continue walking in that direction until your x or y coordinate overflows/underflows and reaches the boundary after which the relevant map (or map 255) will be loaded. For Pallet Town and other maps if you keep walking to the left or right with an x-coordinate that is past a map boundary the map will appear to loop. If the y coordinate is past a map boundary you can keep walking and find glitch cities.

As you say it seems people don't appear in these 'phantom cities' (as camper calls them) and you can't enter buildings.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-12-11 17:21:20
This reminds me of when I changed the maps using the Save Abuse glitch on Yellow version.

Also Jesus Torchy you know alot about this stuff.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2013-12-11 21:18:14

Also Jesus Torchy you know alot about this stuff.

This guy thinks he finds a new glitch, and Torch just crushes his dreams. lol.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-12-12 03:16:43
GCLF: Crushing your hopes and/or dreams that you thought you discovered something in a video game before anyone else on the internet since 2004.

Posted by: xtreme713ify
Date: 2013-12-12 18:03:18
Well, you're right, my dreams WERE crushed, but it was pretty interesting. I had never heard someone bring it up. Oh well…

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-12-12 18:18:32

Well, you're right, my dreams WERE crushed, but it was pretty interesting. I had never heard someone bring it up. Oh well…

There, there. It's gonna be okay.

I'm curious to know how the landscapes changed; I really am. It sounds fascinating.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2013-12-15 18:17:59

GCLF: Crushing your hopes and/or dreams that you thought you discovered something in a video game before anyone else on the internet since 2004.

Can we put this on the frontpage as the tagline for GCL?

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-12-16 01:04:08

In bold letters or italics?

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2013-12-16 03:50:58

Both. DO IT

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2013-12-16 08:49:57

Both. DO IT

I think using both will get the point across better.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2013-12-16 17:17:22

Both. DO IT

I think mega charizard would agree. And mega blastoise since blastoise is my bro.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-12-16 18:53:23

Both. DO IT

I think mega charizard would agree. And mega blastoise since blastoise is my bro.

On the other hand, Mega Venusaur says to lock this topic.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-12-17 01:04:03

Both. DO IT

So are we putting this as the tagline on the front page, or what?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-12-18 09:53:59

Both. DO IT

So are we putting this as the tagline on the front page, or what?

If you want, go bug Adrian.