Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Very strange Pokemon Blue glitch I have never heard of - Page 1

Very strange Pokemon Blue glitch I have never heard of

Posted by: The Great Gazoo
Date: 2013-12-17 00:46:11
I just encountered a very strange glitch in Pokemon Blue and found absolutely nothing concerning it on the internet, so I figured you fine folks at GlitchCity would be the best place to turn.

I was fighting the Elite 4 and had just beaten Lance's Gyarados. My only 2 pokemon left alive were Electrode and Machamp. I am not 100% sure, but I believe I sent out Electrode against Dragonair. I decided to switch out to Machamp, though, and when I entered the pokemon menu my team was at full health. Shocked, I exited the menu, only to find that I was now battling Lance's Gyarados, which I had just beaten. I forged on and defeated Lance, not paying much attention because I had assumed I just had some sort of weird mental lapse during the battle. When I looked back at the screen, I was outside the Elite 4 as if I had lost to them. Now I knew something weird was going on. I went back in to fight the Elite 4 again, but when I walked into Lorelei's room, a text box with her post-battle dialogue popped up. The door to Bruno was already open, so I went through and fought him and Agatha. I left Agatha's room, and before I could take a step, a text box popped up with Lance's pre-battle speech. I then proceeded to fight Lance while still standing on the stairs. I won and he said his usual stuff after the fight. I then walked up to the real Lance and talked to him, and he did not want to battle, so I went on and beat Gary. Since then the game has been normal. Does anyone have any sort of explanation for what happened?

Re: Very strange Pokemon Blue glitch I have never heard of

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-12-17 01:10:51
It sounds like something was corrupted during the E4 battles.

Have you switched any Pokemon during any E4 battle before that?

Have you glitched the game before in any way?

Was your money halved after "losing" to Lance? Or could you open your menu before entering the E4 room?

If I'm not mistaken, you've triggered the Trainer-Fly / Escape from Trainer glitch unknowingly with Lance from the corruption. The Lorelei script counted as a battle to unlock the Start button, so the next two battles should be normal. Immediately after entering Lance's room (the map with the trainer you "escaped" from), text should appear and you should be taken to battle at once.

Re: Very strange Pokemon Blue glitch I have never heard of

Posted by: The Great Gazoo
Date: 2013-12-17 01:25:56
I'm not positive, but I don't think I had switched pokemon in a previous Elite 4 battle. I don't have the specific memory of it and I generally do not switch in the middle of battle. I have enough Full Restores and whatnot to just power through status/damage/whatever.

I have been heavily abusing the Trainer/Fly glitch, as well as the Old Man/Cinnabar coast glitch in this playthrough.

I honestly can't tell you if my money was halved. I have been paying no attention to money in this run and wouldn't have even known how much I had beforehand. I did open the menu, though, because I remember seeing that my pokemon were not at full health outside Indigo Plateau, as would be expected if I had actually lost and blacked out. They had the same HP as when the battle ended.