Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

New to wonderful world of glitching - Page 1

New to wonderful world of glitching

Posted by: Prezwalski
Date: 2014-01-26 12:46:56
Hello!

It's cool to see that this site's up again. I'd love to start exploring the glitches of the first generation of Pokémon. I saw a video of ZZAZ on Youtube where he was 'jailbreaking' the Gameboy via 8F. I thought it was awesome and I really want to try it out myself :) However, is there a way to 'skip' playing the game? I played the games so many times and playing it once again will take a lot of time which can be used for better purposes :P Being a complete newb, I have no idea how save states and such work. I found this website (http://pokenintendo.users2.50megs.com/pbluesav.htm) which has some .spa-files. Awesome, exactly what I needed. Too bad the .spa-files won't load on my emulators. I tried bgb, no$gmb and Virtual Boy. Bgb says it fails to load the file, no$gmb doesn't say a thing and Virtual Boy doesn't recognize the files at all.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong? :)

Re: New to wonderful world of glitching

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-01-26 15:01:28
When you say "skip playing the game," do you mean something like this? You can beat the game in a minute (and/or less!) and exploit tons of other horrible and unpleasant things. It'd be a good way to start, if it's what you're looking for.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-01-26 17:49:37

Hello!

It's cool to see that this site's up again. I'd love to start exploring the glitches of the first generation of Pokémon. I saw a video of ZZAZ on Youtube where he was 'jailbreaking' the Gameboy via 8F. I thought it was awesome and I really want to try it out myself :) However, is there a way to 'skip' playing the game? I played the games so many times and playing it once again will take a lot of time which can be used for better purposes :P Being a complete newb, I have no idea how save states and such work. I found this website (http://pokenintendo.users2.50megs.com/pbluesav.htm) which has some .spa-files. Awesome, exactly what I needed. Too bad the .spa-files won't load on my emulators. I tried bgb, no$gmb and Virtual Boy. Bgb says it fails to load the file, no$gmb doesn't say a thing and Virtual Boy doesn't recognize the files at all.

Do you mean .sna files? Apparently, you can use them for No$GMB (which is what they're meant for; no other emulator), by right-clicking on the emulator and pressing "Load State", but whenever I tried I got an unexpected error. SAV files are more ideal because they should be usable for any Game Boy emulator.

I recommend using BGB, which is one of the most accurate emulators, or if you like recording things/want a more accessible memory editor/cheat list, VBA (VisualBoyAdvance). Bear in mind though that VBA is less accurate. The dokokashira door glitch does not work on earlier versions of VBA, but VBA rr V20.0 fixed a problem with echo RAM, allowing the bug to work correctly. This is the version of VBA re-recording I use.

Here is a complete SAV file of Pokémon Red. This is easier to use than a save state.

Note that unfortunately various Trainers have been beaten, in particular you can't use the Gambler on Route 8 for the Trainer-Fly glitch and who posted it seems to have hacked the level of some of his Pokémon like Zapdos, which will revert back to level 50 from level 91 unless you change its actual total experience.

If you want to use the Ditto glitch, you can try experimenting with various codes to set it up (see below). Basically, you'll want all badges, a Pokémon with Fly and all fly locations. A Pokémon with a certain Special is also desirable for Ditto to copy it.

For BGB, simply put it in the same directory/folder as the ROM and give it the same name as the ROM. For VBA, put it in the battery directory found in VBA's folder and give it the same name as the ROM.

Other save files for main series Generation I and II games can be found here.

When you say "skip playing the game," do you mean something like this? You can beat the game in a minute (and/or less!) and exploit tons of other horrible and unpleasant things. It'd be a good way to start, if it's what you're looking for.

A limitation with using the save corruption glitch to load the Hall of Fame is that you don't have proper Pokémon, but with a save file you can have a copy of Pokémon that can be used to beat all real Trainers fairly easily/the Hall of Fame again and with HMs like Fly obtained, etc. This is useful for glitching.

Alternatively, there are a few codes you can use to make your own ideal glitching save:

01765ED3 - Activate this when walking through a door to warp to the Hall of Fame.
018358D0, 016327D1 - Instantly encounter a level 100 Mewtwo, first code is for species, second code is for level. To modify the value change digits two-three of either.
01xx73D1, 01xx74D1, 01xx75D1, 01xx76D1 - Pokémon 1: Moves 1-4 (one code for each move in respective order) modifier. See the big list for values.
019947D3, 019948D3, 019949D3  - Infinite money
01C47CCF, 01C57DCF, 01C67ECF, 01C77FCF, 01C880CF - Buy HM01-HM05 at a Poké Mart (note: prices may be glitched if you use all these at once)
01FF56D3 - Have all 8 Badges.
01FF0BD7, 01FF0CD7 - Fly can go everywhere

01xx1DD3 - Total items modifier (Use hexadecimal values. To convert from decimal to hexadecimal, you can use Windows Calculator, set it to Programmer mode and click Hex after you've entered the number.)
01xx1ED3 - Item 1 ID modifier (see the aforementioned big list for values)
01xx1FD3 - Item 1 quantity modifier (hexadecimal values)

These carry on as you add 1 to the sixth digit.

Examples: 01281ED3, 01631FD3 (Rare Candy x99 in position 1).
010120D3, 016321D3 (Master Ball x99 in position 2)

More codes can be found here. (see also our lists on the Wiki for other games)

Note that the Pokédex addresses there are not completely accurate. The real bytes (5th-8th digits) can be found here. Just swap the endianness (order of the bytes) to apply them to your codes. Example: D31C can be changed with the code 01xx1CD3.

If you want the codes for Yellow, just subtract 1 from the sixth digit (examples that aren't so clear: D->C, B->A, A->9, etc.)

Date: 2014-01-27 10:35:27

Hello!

Do you mean .sna files? Apparently, you can use them for No$GMB (which is what they're meant for; no other emulator), by right-clicking on the emulator and pressing "Load State", but whenever I tried I got an unexpected error. SAV files are more ideal because they should be usable for any Game Boy emulator.

I recommend using BGB, which is one of the most accurate emulators, or if you like recording things/want a more accessible memory editor/cheat list, VBA (VisualBoyAdvance). Bear in mind though that VBA is less accurate. The dokokashira door glitch does not work on earlier versions of VBA, but VBA rr V20.0 fixed a problem with echo RAM, allowing the bug to work correctly. This is the version of VBA re-recording I use.

Here is a complete SAV file of Pokémon Red. This is easier to use than a save state.

Note that unfortunately various Trainers have been beaten, in particular you can't use the Gambler on Route 8 for the Trainer-Fly glitch and who posted it seems to have hacked the level of some of his Pokémon like Zapdos, which will revert back to level 50 from level 91 unless you change its actual total experience.

If you want to use the Ditto glitch, you can try experimenting with various codes to set it up (see below). Basically, you'll want all badges, a Pokémon with Fly and all fly locations. A Pokémon with a certain Special is also desirable for Ditto to copy it.

For BGB, simply put it in the same directory/folder as the ROM and give it the same name as the ROM. For VBA, put it in the battery directory found in VBA's folder and give it the same name as the ROM.

Other save files for main series Generation I and II games can be found here.

A limitation with using the save corruption glitch to load the Hall of Fame is that you don't have proper Pokémon, but with a save file you can have a copy of Pokémon that can be used to beat all real Trainers fairly easily/the Hall of Fame again and with HMs like Fly obtained, etc. This is useful for glitching.

Alternatively, there are a few codes you can use to make your own ideal glitching save:

01765ED3 - Activate this when walking through a door to warp to the Hall of Fame.
018358D0, 016327D1 - Instantly encounter a level 100 Mewtwo, first code is for species, second code is for level. To modify the value change digits two-three of either.
01xx73D1, 01xx74D1, 01xx75D1, 01xx76D1 - Pokémon 1: Moves 1-4 (one code for each move in respective order) modifier. See the big list for values.
019947D3, 019948D3, 019949D3  - Infinite money
01C47CCF, 01C57DCF, 01C67ECF, 01C77FCF, 01C880CF - Buy HM01-HM05 at a Poké Mart (note: prices may be glitched if you use all these at once)
01FF56D3 - Have all 8 Badges.
01FF0BD7, 01FF0CD7 - Fly can go everywhere

01xx1DD3 - Total items modifier (Use hexadecimal values. To convert from decimal to hexadecimal, you can use Windows Calculator, set it to Programmer mode and click Hex after you've entered the number.)
01xx1ED3 - Item 1 ID modifier (see the aforementioned big list for values)
01xx1FD3 - Item 1 quantity modifier (hexadecimal values)

These carry on as you add 1 to the sixth digit.

Examples: 01281ED3, 01631FD3 (Rare Candy x99 in position 1).
010120D3, 016321D3 (Master Ball x99 in position 2)

More codes can be found here. (see also our lists on the Wiki for other games)

Note that the Pokédex addresses there are not completely accurate. The real bytes (5th-8th digits) can be found here. Just swap the endianness (order of the bytes) to apply them to your codes. Example: D31C can be changed with the code 01xx1CD3.

If you want the codes for Yellow, just subtract 1 from the sixth digit (examples that aren't so clear: D->C, B->A, A->9, etc.)

Thank you so much for this awesome reply! I'll look into the files you provided as soon as possible :)

I want to try out all the glitches. Beginning with the Old Man Trick, and as ultimate goal the Arbitrary Code Injection.  I'll let you guys know when I have questions :)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-01-27 12:19:37
Remember you can't do some of the glitches with a full save, unless you reset the game progress flags with other glitches first.

Date: 2014-02-02 09:58:35
Alright. Trying to perform to 8F glitch. Got a Dome Fossil and went as far as this step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98_azamLeh4 (at 1:40). When trying to swap the upper X Special with the Nugget, the game freezes:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/jO5OCjj.png[/img]

Any idea how to solve? :(

Date: 2014-02-02 10:25:46
You probably switched with the wrong Nugget.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-02-02 12:00:10
Great to hear that you've got this far.

To verify that you're swapping the right item, go to the item you want to swap, highlight it with select and check the memory address $CC35.

To do this on BGB, right click inside the window, highlight "Other" and click "debugger", then from the new window right click and click "Go to…" and enter CC35 and click OK. To do this on VBA, go to "Tools"->"Debug"->"Memory viewer", then type CC35 in the "Go" box and click "Go".

If it's not $23 (dec: 35), you've selected the wrong item. There may be other Nuggets. In particular, for me there is one at item 68 (24), but when I tried swapping it with an X Special 1 it did not freeze the game.

If you're in the right position, it should always have an quantity of 1 and be above a HM04 because 1 is your current y-position block and HM04 (C7h)  11 ($0B) (though you can't see the quantity) is the map's "event displacement" data.

The problem may not be a freeze, though I haven't encountered this problem myself with an 'invisible' item below a Cancel. If the menu doesn't go down, the game may have loaded an item with a long scrolling name. To go down or up, press B a few times after pressing up/down, but not too many times or you'll close the menu. If you do close the menu and the long name item is on the screen, press A a few times, but not too many times or you might get the Use/Toss box to come up/freeze the game.

Date: 2014-02-02 21:59:19
Tips on avoiding long name items while getting 8F:

Name your rival appropriately, preferably with a short name like "A". Some characters like B correspond to items with very long names, which may require many clicks to navigate.