Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Glitch Pokedex Entries - Page 1

Glitch Pokedex Entries

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-03-12 13:11:50
I'm recording all Pokedex entries of glitch Pokemon and something caught my interest. 8 out of 10 Pokemon (all except hex C2 and C3) I recorded have a height of 23'0" and a weight of 880.6 pounds, and a blank entry. Those include both hybrid and non-hybrid Pokemon. All non-hybrid Pokemon apparently share the same cry (Rhydon's cry), but that's expected since they're automatically hybridized with Rhydon. The problem is what contributes to that particular height and weight, and why it isn't following the data pointed by the Pokedex pointer.

Re: Glitch Pokedex Entries

Posted by: Crystal_
Date: 2014-03-13 19:37:48
Hmm, I remember once wondering about this too, but I don't know. All I can say is that C2 and C3 are some of the few Pokemon that do not point to the VRAM (most do because pointers are being read from data related to text that corresponds to pokedex species). Have you checked if Pokemon like C2 and C3 that do not point to the VRAM do take data from where their pointer leads to?

On another note, no results in the ROM for 23'0'' and 880.6 (17 00 66 22). In theory, their data should come from the VRAM anyway. Note that height and weight is not read until the terminator character is found (0x50). So maybe, during the moment the data is read, there is a single 0x50 around the end of the VRAM followed by 17 00 66 22, and every pokemon ends up taking data from there.

I'm just speculating, obviously.

Date: 2014-03-14 00:48:32
C2 ( .4) and C3 (h POKé) do take data from the correct address, which are both in ROM bank 0. (0306 and 0A5A respectively) CA (PC 4S H) and CB (p) also have the same entries as C2 and C3 respectively, and as their addresses are 0307 and 06E0, that's expected.

C4 (POKé WTRAINER)'s pointer points to 0017, but it's getting a blank entry. D4 (A G)'s pointer points to 0801 (between 06E0 and 0A5A), yet it's getting another glitch variant.

Also, some pointers correctly point to somewhere in the same ROM bank, but those Pokemon still have a blank entry. Examples include C1 () (points to 4108B), C9 ( 8 ) (points to 41093), CC (PKMN n) (points to 41B17) and D1 (M p'u ) (points to 43F8D).

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-03-15 19:44:13
I doubt that this is it, but is it possible that it is converted metric numbers?  In green missingno is 1 m tall and weighs 10 kg. 

Date: 2014-03-16 00:51:03

I doubt that this is it, but is it possible that it is converted metric numbers?  In green missingno is 1 m tall and weighs 10 kg.

This isn't related. The problem is that while each pointer points to a different location, the entries stay the same, and don't follow the bytes pointed by the pointer.

Date: 2014-03-16 08:08:42
Camper, since you are into this, I think debugging at PC=10:43e7 in the moment the pokemon data is being viewed in the pokedex upon capture should do the trick. At that exact point, DE should point to the address where weight is being read, I think.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-03-16 12:51:33

This isn't related. The problem is that while each pointer points to a different location, the entries stay the same, and don't follow the bytes pointed by the pointer.

Then could it be that the pointed data is invalid in some way (not sure quite how), and thus shows the exact same result each time?

Date: 2014-03-16 13:32:14
I found one possible combination of height and weight, at $19F4, in bank 0.
It's 17 96 66 22, and 150" (hex 96) could just be shown as [glitch block]0".

ROM edit confirms that this is the actual address. (lucky it doesn't seem to affect the game) $19F8 is coincidentally 50, so it's a blank entry.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/o4ufi5r.png[/img]

Now the problem is why it behaves so.

Date: 2014-03-16 14:22:34
Ah! I see you were quicker than me! Yep, nice find:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LbVZenl.png[/img]

Still, no idea what makes data come from there.