Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

MissingNo HoF corruption - Page 1

MissingNo HoF corruption

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-03-28 16:35:27
So, thanks to my pokewtrainer-related research I decided to try and figure out what makes MissingNo encounters write to the save file.

Well, it's thanks to yet another buffer overflow, and that the sprite buffers are at the beginning of SRAM.

It tries to uncompress MissingNo's sprite, which is obviously not a compressed sprite (except in three well-known cases, you should be able to figure out which I mean hehe).

And it overflows the sprite buffer, and writes further into the save. The last sprite buffer ends at $A498, HoF data starts at $A598. (remove $A000 to get the offset in a .sav file)

This is probably the same reason why most if not all glitch Pokémon with invalid sprites cause HoF corruption.

Re: MissingNo HoF corruption

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2014-04-13 03:26:33
[size=7]:O[/size]