Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Yellow: Trainer's FB glitch AI - Page 1

Yellow: Trainer's FB glitch AI

Posted by: Nerator
Date: 2014-05-01 17:14:51
Found this fun little glitch while messing with glitch trainers. When you try to do something in battle, trainer will try to use X Attack. Game will state that nothing happened, and then a bunch of glitch sound can be heard. After some time option to press A appears and game will load some text, that seem based on location. After that game will exit to scrambled overworld and display another message, also from that location. After this one you go to the real overworld.

I have a video of me performing this glitch in Celadon Mansion using memory viewer here. It is also possible via Mew trick using pokemon with special stat 251, but only in Yellow.

Re: Yellow: Trainer's FB glitch AI

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-01 18:44:29
Hm.  I just tried this.  I found that I got a TM 34: bide from him after the battle, in two separate tests of two separate locations.  I did use Torchickens' Game Genie code to "diffuse" missingno's sprite: 00F-CDA-F72 40F-CEA-E6A, so that may effect it.  But it is odd behavior.  A glitch text box that gives an item would be odd, and this could serve as an infinite TM34 method (not that bide is very useful).

… Wait, your video has his roster starting with cubone.  Why does mine start with missingno? 

EDIT: Well, I'm uploading a video.  Seems very odd.  The TM34 effect is repeatable, and if you have full items the game crashes. 

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-05-02 01:00:39
You didn't set D05C, so the roster is no. 256 by default (the Kangaskhan), and no. 1 after fighting Blue. (the Tentacool)

Since there is some ZZAZZ effect, it's likely that the battle style is set to "doing anything ends the battle" type. Trainer FB appears to be a Gym leader (Brock?), so he'll say something (sometimes hex 04) when the battle ends, and another dialogue (seems to be always hex 05) after the battle which gives you an item.

It loads yet another dialogue if your item pack is full, which coincidentally crash the game.

Posted by: Nerator
Date: 2014-05-02 05:51:47
I rechecked this and yes - every battle seems to give you TM34. I will check the behaviour if item pack is full, may be in some locations it will not crash the game.

One more thing i noticed, while checking different rosters. I tried roster 0x44 (which according to this trainer list should be empty) and got some strange results.

First time i tried to batte this roster it seem, that he had 6 pokemon (all his pokeballs were not crossed). His first pokemon was Q (FF) at level 9. He, as usual, used X Attack that failed, followed by glitch sound. After that, instead of Celadon Mansion's Nidoran's texbox it showed Pokemon Center textbox, which offered me to heal! If you choose yes, the game will do normal heal animation with some glitch SFX, and say that all is fine. After that glitch proceeds as usual. After battle my Pokemon really were healed!

But it seem, that lvl 9 Q (FF) was caused by me previous actions. I tried to reset and start battle once more. It that case his pokeballs were crossed, music died and his first Pokemon was poisoned Q (FF) with very high HP (0x848B (33931) to be exact). His level was, according to address 0xCFF2 0x98 (152). Trainer still used X Attack every turn, but it didn't fail or exit battle. I attacked him for some turns, to wait for "Nothing happened!" after using X Attack - still no glitch sounds and leaving the battle. I tried to see his next pokemon, so i changed Q's HP to 1 - he fainted from poison. His next pokemon was 3TrainerPoke (00) with same HP, also poisoned, but level 0. I did the same trick again (but he died from my attack, i think his speed was lower than my Pokemon). Trainer sent another 3TrainerPoke with 0x5E00 (24064) HP, he was not poisoned, his level was also 0. When i tried to attack this one though, after X Attack use glitch sound took place, and glitch proceeded like in my video.

EDIT: Checked with full pack in Celadon Mansion with roster 0x07. Instead of "Celadon Mansion Manager's Suite" game just showed "6 error", but didn't crash. In Route 24 it was all same, as with not full bag (but i think, that because there in second box it shows "I did my best, I have no regrets!", which is text shared by all Nugget bridge trainers, so may be game just loads box from another trainer). And no items were modified in the process in both locations.

Posted by: joonas2345
Date: 2014-05-02 11:33:08
When I tested this back in March, the battle "ended" after the trainer used xAttack, and after the battle "ended" I was not sent back to overworld, instead the game glitched up and shortly after that it froze.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4K7mVn-aPI

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-05-02 13:35:38
So here's the flow:
On the first turn, the trainer uses X Attack, but "nothing happened", followed by a series of glitch dialogue. (still unsure why but it's constant in the same map)
Gym battle victory music plays, and dialogue 04 in the map pops up.
Battle ends and you appear in the overworld with the wrong tileset.
If the item pack is full, dialogue 06 in the map pops up.
If it's not full, TM34 is added to the item pack and dialogue 05 in the map pops up.
Finally the tileset becomes normal if the game hasn't crashed from non-existent dialogues already.