Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Getting the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch to work in English versions - possible? - Page 1

Getting the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch to work in English versions - possible?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-05-05 16:39:01
Copy-paste from my video description:

This is a glitch that was apparently recently discovered, that was documented by 'mave' on March 24, 2012 on the Japanese site 'Legendary Star Blob'.  'Wario' later did research into it, http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke2/y1.html and documented a number of different Pokémon you can get with it and the positions you have to be on the map. http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke3/f2.html

Basically, bringing up the Use/Toss menu for certain glitch items will corrupt data. In certain positions it won't cause the game to freeze and may force you into having to use the first item in the list of four items at one time. D036, the 'instant encounter' address is written to one of the 'building block' tiles directly below you.

Though you normally can't exit the menu, you can by playing the Pokéflute. Note that the Pokéflute does not awaken the Pokémon; we already had a value in D036. After you exit the menu, you'll encounter the Pokémon sharing the value of that building block, and the Gym Leader battle music may play. You may be in a glitch battle mode. If you had a Master Ball in the first position and your box is not full, you can capture the wild Pokémon.

Example working glitch items:

In Red/Green and Blue, you can get them with the 'make your own items' select button glitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L16bVsyZI10

In Yellow, you must use the item underflow glitch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4Yr2Nz4rFU or theoretically you can do the Cable Club escape glitch with someone with hex:ED, then manipulate your y-coordinate; i.e. item 32 to get an item of your choice.

Japanese Blue - hex: 94h - name: . You can get it with the make your own items glitch, with the character ''.

Japanese Red/Green - hex: A3 - name: . You can get it with the make your own items glitch, with the character ''.

Japanese Yellow - hex:74. You can get it after expanding your items pack over 31, going to this position in Cycling Road http://i.minus.com/jTazB7l490E7Z.png and swapping item 31 up to a valid item position.

Getting rid of these glitch items:

You can't just deposit the above items into a box, and you may not be able to toss them. A way of getting rid of them without cheating is by performing the 'make your own items' glitch again with the Pokémon that got you the items, and this will restore the items data for items 2-5 to what they were just before performing the glitch. For Japanese Yellow, I don't know of a way of removing an item like this, sadly. It may be possible with the glitch Pokémon right arrow, Ditto trick 230, hex: C2's effect of adding 20h to the index number of the fifth item if it is 1X, 4X, 5X, 8X, 9X, CX, DX when you encounter it on the opponent's side. But you can't remove the hex:74 item this way as it does not fit in with those values.

Since we can get glitch items like this (such as 0x80) that corrupt memory before Use/Toss appears with item underflow glitch and presumably through item mutation via PPkMnp (Yellow) and 94, could we also get a selection of wild Pokémon including Mew?

As mentioned above, in the Japanese versions the Pokémon you get for certain positions depends on one of the 'building block' tiles below you (you can look at the index numbers of these with the tool Pokemap), but when I used the position for Fearow I got a hooked Metapod instead of a wild (non-hooked, I'll add) Fearow. When I used the position for Mew I didn't even get a value in D059 (instant encounter byte), and Red and the scientist near me disappeared.

Re: Getting the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch to work in English versions - possible?

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-05-05 17:05:33
So pressing A on a glitch item can corrupt the memory in a completely different way from using the item… Interesting.

And using a Masterball instead of Pokeflute just after attempting to use 0x80 causes the same effect as this animation of pure awesomeness, without the shakes.

RE: Getting the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch to work in English versions

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-05 17:16:42
This glitch effect really reminds me of this video by TheZZAZZGlitch.  Could these be used for similar things?

Re: Getting the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch to work in English versions - possible?

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2014-05-06 00:26:57
In Japanese versions, the tile responsible for the ID of Pokemon found during this glitch seems to be here:
[img]http://i.minus.com/iMhudEXQxBnEX.png[/img]

In international releases the memory layout has changed and instead, the tile is located here:
[img]http://i.minus.com/itiyRipQyWvC9.png[/img]

In English versions the relevant tile happens to be constant - it's always the vertical textbox border tile ($7C). So no matter the location, the hooked Metapod will always appear.

Date: 2014-05-06 03:25:35
Fun fact: Accessing the Fly screen with invalid destination bytes causes the same glitch.

These glitches are likely caused by a buffer overflow like Super Glitch, so a $50 tile is needed to avoid crashing.

Date: 2014-05-06 04:49:39

In English versions the relevant tile happens to be constant - it's always the vertical textbox border tile ($7C). So no matter the location, the hooked Metapod will always appear.

Oh, that's a shame. At least we can get Mew through Trainer-Fly, and I'm just going to post other non-Japanese version methods in case someone finds this useful: remaining HP glitch, 8F/ws m and this Spanish version trick.

I suppose you could force a Mew in your post-6 party Pokémon, too.

Date: 2014-05-06 07:13:35
How does that Spanish trick work?

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-06 07:29:19
Would it be possible to make the glitch work if you used a glitch item (forget what it was, but I know there is one), to make it so the start menu would pop up but you couldn't see it?

Also, even though the Poké Flute Glitch doesn't work, you can always get Pokémon based on the screen tiles by using the Cooltrainer move. TheZZAZZGlitch made a version with all the overworld tiles on it here: http://i3.minus.com/ibw1X573SOYUPx.png, while Dabomstew made another version that explained about DVs too:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6U7IU7z.png[/img]

Date: 2014-05-06 07:41:28
Thanks for that. I knew most of what you said but forgot to mention it as a trick for getting Mew. I didn't know about the spots that affect DVs.

Would it be possible to make the glitch work if you used a glitch item (forget what it was, but I know there is one), to make it so the start menu would pop up but you couldn't see it?

Do you mean the inability to see the start menu after opening it after using a glitch item, even though it appears and you can select and 'use' an item from the bag?

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-06 15:43:49
Yes, that's what I mean.

Date: 2014-07-12 18:43:59
Just for personal reference, in addition to the Pokémon Lab, you can get Mew in Celadon Department Store:

[img]http://www.geocities.jp/kattempla/pokebug/image/fishing1.png[/img]

(I did some lurking for Pokémon glitch discussions in Japanese and found this image, which basically shows the same thing as TheZZAZZGlitch's image above)

The Yami Shop glitch and the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch work in the same way.

With the Yami Shop glitch you try to sell the glitch item at a PokéMart. With the glitch item/Pokéflute trick you try to open up the Use/Toss screen, then have the cursor go to the top displayed item, which you'll make the Pokéflute.

Like Super Glitch, the results (for both the Yami Shop glitch and the glitch item/Pokéflute glitch) are affected by the saved screen data. Screen data is copied over to bytes like D036 (instant encounter) and CF63 (first Poké Mart item), probably for a reason similar to how Super Glitch works. The image above basically says the pink tile makes you encounter a Pokémon species (here it's 15h Mew), and that the orange tile acts as a 50h, causing no more data to be copied.

I wonder what the "shop fishing glitch" is (). I get the impression it's probably just another name for the Yami Shop glitch.

Date: 2014-07-13 02:57:32

I wonder what the "shop fishing glitch" is (). I get the impression it's probably just another name for the Yami Shop glitch.

Maybe it's called that because the glitch item method is used and the Mew encountered is "hooked" due to corrupted battle type?

Date: 2014-07-13 08:42:43

Maybe it's called that because the glitch item method is used and the Mew encountered is "hooked" due to corrupted battle type?

Ah, I never thought of that, maybe.

Incidentally, the Pokémon may not always be hooked, because six addresses after the D036 tile is the 'hooked Pokémon' address (D03C), so in theory you could have a 50h tile before it.